When you were a child what did you order at a restaurant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barb L.

Master Chef
I was just thinking when I posted my menu for tonight how when I was young my Dad would take me out to dinner when Mom worked late. I usually ordered Hot roast beef sandwich with mashed potatoes and gravy. Loved it !
We never went to fancy restaurants !

Last edited:
I don't remember going out at night a lot as a young child. On Sundays after church we would go for Sunday dinner. I always ordered a ham sandwich and chocolate milk. I loved them!!! Still do!!;)

We ate out a lot since my mom was sick. Seems like I always ordered a steak, 'bloody rare'. I remember the waiters looking at my dad to see if this 4yo really wanted it cooked (or not cooked :) ) that way. He'd just nod.

I don't know why I'd order steak unless it was because it reminded me of good times. Every Friday night, my dad would have all the bachelors from his office over for steak and french fries. It was tons of fun!

We had a dear family friend who took all four of us out to "fancy" dinners often. My all-time favorite thing to order was Shrimp de Jonghe. But from time to time I'd choose lobster. :chef: I learned "good taste" at an early age (especially when someone else was paying!)

We ordered in like pizza or sometimes dad would go pick up a bucket of chicken with all the trimmins. But if we went out, it was usually a local Chinese place... it was funny to watch my dad show off and try to eat all that chinese mustard.... never seen food come out of a mans nose before!!!! LOL!!

We went to a place called "Hamburger Haven" outside of Woodland California. I can still taste the burgers.

I can also remember ordering the hot roast beef sandwich at another place and it came with the roast beef sliced hot & gravy on white bread!! And of course the mashed potatoes - sounds like it may have been a truck stop - lol

I loved it when we went to Howard Johnson's. I'd order a clam strips basket and a chocolate cake ice cream roll with warm chocolate fudge on top. Wish I could eat like that now!!

In the summer, my daddy would take us out to dinner on his day off to one of the classiest restaurants in the area. I always ordered the crispy pan-fried chicken livers with gravy and a big tossed salad. I was allowed to have a Shirley Temple while my parents drank their "adult" beverages. I always brought the clear red straw home as a reminder of the nice evening.

Barb L. said:
I was just thinking when I posted my menu for tonight how when I was young my Dad would take me out to dinner when Mom worked late. I usually ordered Hot roast beef sandwich with mashed potatoes and gravy. Loved it !

Barb, when I would get to eat out, that was all I wanted too. We had a place called "Matt's". They had the best. Thanks for the memory!

As a kid, if we wanted something special, we would order and bring it home. My dad hated going out to eat big time.. Now , my aunt was a different story, she would take my mother and me to this quiet beautiful restaurant outside of town..We go in passing what looked like a butcher counter, into a pretty room with tables set with linens and china and silver, beautiful needlepoint stuffed dinning chairs..The waiters all dressed in black tuxedo's would offer you a menu after seating you and pushing in your chair,they would take your order and you would then walk out to the butcher counter and choose your steak or lobester, go back to your table and enjoy an appy, then soup, then salad and then out came your choice cooked to perfection, (mine always, med rare) I still remember the waiters looking to my aunt or mom to see if what I'd ordered was allowed:LOL: My aunt usually would quietly say, please ask the young lady..I was 4 or 5 at the time..I usually ended up with a fancy dessert, because the waiters were thrown by a little kids please and thank yous and the fact, there was not one bite of the steak left:LOL: I must have weighed all of 27 lbs. back then!! I think they thought I was hiding the food in a bag! But boy I loved that meal..
But I think my favorite was our friday night trip into China town for Chinese then on to a movie and afterwards a stop at this fantastic drive in for a burger or for me a BBQ'd beef ummmmmm that was the best!

kadesma

Our dinner our was pizza, fried clams, antipasto and pasta. Strange but I would love it now. Sad to say the restuarant is long gone. Makes me wonder what my children would say? I think they would say "chinese food"

There were so many of us, we rarely went out to eat. It was a big deal to pile in the station wagon and go to A&W and get the dinky size glass of root beer (anyone remember how they used to be served in GLASS?)

An even bigger deal when visiting grandparents in California was to go to Big Boy (Big Bob's?) for hamburgers that came on a plate instead of wrapped in paper.

cheeseburger with fries and a c-plus.even when we went to Disneyland i remember oredering that all the time and almost crying in front of the waiter when my aunt said that i shouldn't have that and to try someting new.but on that trip i did try a chocolate mousee for the first time. Remember not sure what the waiter was trying to get me to eat...moose meat with chocolate crossed my mind once:sick: but was very glad in the end when it came.
I also remember being able to order the shirley tempels(didn't always have c-plus) good memories ---

:) I remember as a kid my dad driving by those Big Boy's the big sign on top of the building with the boy holding up a huge burger.Man oh man, I really wanted to go there never did get to go I loved hamburgers as a kid and still love them now.My best memory is my Uncle Willie would take my dad my step mother, me and my brother on Sundays to a restaurant they had what they called a smorgasboard in actuality was really a huge buffet all you can eat but it had a little or the (traditional swedish smorgasboard stuff).I thought it was the greatest.

:) Mud,I remember A&W the glasses were frosted as they put the mugs in the freezer wet to get them frosty.I worked at one when I was 15.Remember? Papa,Mama,Teen and Baby burgers.I could probably still tell you what each one was made with.

mudbug said:
There were so many of us, we rarely went out to eat. It was a big deal to pile in the station wagon and go to A&W and get the dinky size glass of root beer (anyone remember how they used to be served in GLASS?)

An even bigger deal when visiting grandparents in California was to go to Big Boy (Big Bob's?) for hamburgers that came on a plate instead of wrapped in paper.

oh, yes, mudbug, I remember those A&W's in a glass well(you felt so special and they were delicious!)-----it was really a treat to drink those and most people did not go out to eat back then. Either you had hired help or your mom did the cooking. We fell in the latter group. :) Nice thread--brings back lots of memories

Back
Top Bottom