Which celebrity chef do you dislike?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Food Network was once my favorite network, but not anymore. What started out as a channel to learn and get new ideas, has turned into a circus of competition shows and gimmicky "chefs".
Amen.

Though I have to admit that my one guilty pleasure on FN is watching "Chopped." :rolleyes:

And for those who think it's "mean" to express what one likes/dislikes, well... if we the viewers don't speak up, then we deserve to be bombarded with bad programming.

Personally, I'll take Julia Child, Jacques Pepin, Lidia Bastianich, Hubert Keller, or even Christopher Kimball and his "test kitchen" any day of the week over Guy Fieri or the Neelys. I'd love to see those shows on the Food Network.

Amen.

Though I have to admit that my one guilty pleasure on FN is watching "Chopped." :rolleyes:

And for those who think it's "mean" to express what one likes/dislikes, well... if we the viewers don't speak up, then we deserve to be bombarded with bad programming.

Personally, I'll take Julia Child, Jacques Pepin, Lidia Bastianich, Hubert Keller, or even Christopher Kimball and his "test kitchen" any day of the week over Guy Fieri or the Neelys. I'd love to see those shows on the Food Network.
I, too, think the food network has become a side show. I usually go to the pages and see if there is something I'd like to prepare rather than watch the cut ups.

what's funny though is the Cooking channel, which is run by foodnetwork, is actually pretty good. They have shows that actually have culinary worth, instead of Challenge, and Next Foodnetwork Star. Though from what I've heard, Foodnetwork's biggest goal is to get more of their target demographic which is men from the ages of 21-40. God knows why they are trying to change the entire network to suit one demographic.

Amen.

By being mean I feel those who just talk about what a woman wears, top to low, skirts to tight, or how that person speaks, or who they have on their shows like sons,daughters, grand kids, there is no need to critisize for these types or things. The recipes are to long, to much talking about nothing not teaching us something, you feel there is to much kissy kissy stuff, ok pounce on that. But to pick at a person just to demean them is not necessary it's "mean" think we are bigger than that look over at the person you love who does the cooking at your home would you want them talked about like that????Bet not. So think before you speak, give people the benefit of the doubt.
kades

exactly

Amen.

Precisely. I really do like that guy Chuck from "Chuck's day Off" from Canada. He's a rock-star in the kitchen in my opinion.

what's funny though is the Cooking channel, which is run by foodnetwork, is actually pretty good. They have shows that actually have culinary worth, instead of Challenge, and Next Foodnetwork Star. Though from what I've heard, Foodnetwork's biggest goal is to get more of their target demographic which is men from the ages of 21-40. God knows why they are trying to change the entire network to suit one demographic.

That's how any TV channel that grows gets. There was a time when MTV played music. And ESPN had sports instead of a bunch of people sitting around a table playing poker. It seems they all branch off to include a channel that still plays original content.

...Though from what I've heard, Foodnetwork's biggest goal is to get more of their target demographic which is men from the ages of 21-40. God knows why they are trying to change the entire network to suit one demographic.

It's the demographic that spends the most money.

4meandthem said:
I like everybody mentioned so far! The only one that bugs me is the show Bitchin Kitchen. The show has way too many sexual inuendo's to be family freindly for young kids. I also find it unappetizing.

Racheal Ray needs to take some time off. I used to enjoy her more but they crammed her down our throat with too many shows.

I watch Cooking channel more than Food Network now. I really like Luke's Vietnam,Chucks Day off and Rodger mookings show. There are some others too.
I like Extra Virgin show alot too.

Luke Nguyens Vietnam. He's Australian and I love all his series. I hope to be visiting his restaurant, The Red Lantern, this year.

It's the demographic that spends the most money.

that reminds me of when mtv first broadcast. it was initially intended for 10 to 15 year old girls, sort of a televised "tiger beat", but they found out that their biggest viewing audience was 18 to 25 year old males.

i wonder who the food "network" (it's only a cable channel) thinks is watching all of that fluff.

i wonder who the food "network" (it's only a cable channel) thinks is watching all of that fluff.

Assuming they have people tracking these things, they are probably happy to have their channel being talked about, even negatively. I don't recognize half the names I'm seeing here, which shows I hardly watch it at all anymore. About the only shows I will stop and watch is the BBQ competitions. I find those entertaining. Not the Pitmasters, I find those arrogant and offensive as far as the judges are concerned, including that one Warren Sapp was a judge on, but the shows that feature a few key competitors in a fair-like atmosphere.

By being mean I feel those who just talk about what a woman wears, top to low, skirts to tight, or how that person speaks, or who they have on their shows like sons,daughters, grand kids, there is no need to critisize for these types or things. The recipes are to long, to much talking about nothing not teaching us something, you feel there is to much kissy kissy stuff, ok pounce on that. But to pick at a person just to demean them is not necessary it's "mean" think we are bigger than that look over at the person you love who does the cooking at your home would you want them talked about like that????Bet not. So think before you speak, give people the benefit of the doubt.
kades

I agree!!! :chef:

I found it amusing when Giadda reprimanded a contestant she was judging on a show for dressing too "provocatively".

that reminds me of when mtv first broadcast. it was initially intended for 10 to 15 year old girls, sort of a televised "tiger beat", but they found out that their biggest viewing audience was 18 to 25 year old males.

I'd bet they know quite well who's watching.

In my opinion, FTV initially had an audience of foodies. Then they changed programming to draw non-foodies - a much bigger group of people.

kades
Kades, much of the time I agree with you, but I think you are way off base here. You seem to be giving me a list of reasons it is OK to dislike a show, and another list of reasons it is not. These people are entertainers, and as such I expect be entertained. I don't watch Giada as I think she shows too much skin for a cooking show. The Neely husband comes across to me as the biggest bumbling black guy since George Jefferson, and the women are always standing by to bail him out. Emeril has three jokes, Bam, where I get my meat it don't come seasoned, and I don't like one sided tasting food. I've heard them all. Time to move on. Paula's sons contribute nothing to the show. The bitchin kitchen I watched a couple of minutes, not for me. The list goes on. Recipes to long, too much kissy kissy, too much talking about nothing, not teaching, all are valid reasons to not like the shows, but they are your reasons. I really don't expect much education from any of them. Most of the time, I just don't like the personalities or format.

The person in my kitchen cooking with me has nothing to do with the celebrity shows. I would defend them if necessary, but then they are not being paraded in front of millions of people.

Guess I am just a big ol' meanie.

I dislike Anne Burrell's (sp?) show. The way she talks really annoys me. That's not to say I haven't learned from her though. Not a fan of Giada's shows either because of reasons already stated above. But what's worse than those shows are all the filler shows with the competitions. I would watch Anne Burrell and Giada over those any day. I will admit that I LOVE Iron Chef though :)

snickerdoodle said:
I dislike Anne Burrell's (sp?) show. The way she talks really annoys me. That's not to say I haven't learned from her though. Not a fan of Giada's shows either because of reasons already stated above. But what's worse than those shows are all the filler shows with the competitions. I would watch Anne Burrell and Giada over those any day. I will admit that I LOVE Iron Chef though :)

Ann grunts and squeals way too much, but her techniques are spot-on. Have also learned from Giada, granddaughter of Dino. I, too, love Iron Chef! I fell in love with the original, subtitled version and have been hooked ever since.

Melissa beat out some other decent contestants for the Next Food Network Star, DH has never forgiven her for that. She really annoys him.

Last edited:
I think the problem with TFN is that it's "food theater," but not about anything or anyone actually going through an entire dish prep because of time constraints. Everything is always laid out, mixed in a millisecond, and cooked "through the magic of television." And it is ALWAYS perfect. That is why Julia was wonderful, and most of this is drek.

Julia made mistakes on air, but let the rest of us know that it was OK to screw up.

Most of the TV chef's at least on TFN are more like pop stars who cook; looks, personality and limited talent. What get me as much as their inability to cook, is there GAWDAWFUL manners. The next time Paula Deen sticks her over-diamond finger in her mouth to lick it, I will ralph. Ughghg. And this is a southern lady? Not.

I quit watching TFN a long time ago.....

I really don't like Gordon Ramsay - his language for one, I didn't used to like Rachel Ray-but she's not as chatty as she used to be and I can actually watch a whole program. Don't care for Sandra Lee, the Neely's and Paula gets on my nerves after a while. Really do like Ina Garten, Guy Fieri and Giada. Anne Burell I can take or leave.

Back
Top Bottom