Which stores do you use most, and why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
I live in a quite small town and, unless I want to go to Dubuque (a half hour, not a big deal in summer, but a bear in winter), or heaven forbid, Chicago, the Quad Cities or Madison, my daily choices are a Piggly Wiggly and Wal-Mart. In other words, it is them, or mail (or on-line) order. But for those of you with wider choices, which stores do you find yourself returning to, and why?

Krogers.. good selection and good prices.
Walmart... for good prices on staples.
Couple local Asian markets... the BEST prices on some produce,
oils and flavorings (and cuz I cook a LOT of oriental.)
And Costco for a few items I buy in bulk.

And that's about it. Whole Foods et al are too expensive. Trader Joe
is always too crowded, and I don't generally find much there that I can't
get for less elsewhere. The other grocery stores are on average
more expensive than Krogers, or don't carry some items I use a lot of.

We go to ShopRite because it is the closest and go on Wed. because of 5% for seniors that day. Sometimes we go to Wegmans and Sam's Club for stuff ShopRite does not have, but maybe once every 2 or 3 months. There is a Mr. Z/Weis store nearby but it is more money than ShopRite. I will go there on a Tues when they have their 5% for senior and only if they have something on sale that I need. Since hubby is retired , we are more careful about spending.
There is not TJ or Costo , or Whole Foods near us , so never been there.

Wal Mart because of the convenience and when I need stuff other than just food, Kroger has a great selection and I like the quality of their store brands over other store brands, Food Lion because there is usually one on my errand route somewhere, Sam's club for frozen food, bulk and paper goods.

King Cullen is our favorite because we like the quality and variety of their foodstuffs but they are a local (Long Island) chain. We also buy at IGA; sometimes their storebrand stuff is of good quality and reasonably priced. I think IGA (Independent Grocers Association) is also a regional (NE Atlantic) thing. For bulk purchases (eg rice, peanut oil, coffe filters) we go to BJ's (a so-called wholesale club).

SAVE MART shopper

I now buy all my groceries at SAVE MART Supermarket. They have a great selection and low prices.

I used to shop at RALEY'S because of their wonderful food selection. However, their higher prices forced me to shop at SAVE MART. I now save at least $25 - $30 each week. :chef:

I buy in bulk at Costco, but most of my fresh stuff comes from Publix.

I make an occasional trip to Sarasota to Whole Foods or Fresh Market, but not often. Sometimes I hit Mazarro's in St.Pete.

I don't drive and I work full time, so I buy all my groceries locally and have them delivered. That said, I like a bargain and don't mind shlepping, so I have a system of sorts.

Of course, you have to know what you need and what the prices are at your stores. Anything I can get at a bargain store, like Family Dollar or Mr Closeouts, I do. If I need to pay full price for it, I go to Target or Ralph's rather than a CVS or Duane Reade. If it's food, I go to Whole Foods if my local supermarket doesn't have it. Or if it's cheaper there.

I shop Lands End, JC Penney, etc only with discount shipping or other coupons. And I get at Amazon and ebay if the price is right, too.

vons market for food. walmart (not a super store near by) for some foods and goods i need. i shop on line for almost everything else. vons, walmart, amazon, target and many other web sites. when they have little or no shipping charges. i have a mr. coffee pot in the delivery pipeline right now straight from mr.coffee site.

I use Wal-Mart for the basics and pantry staples since they are the cheapest. I get my produce and meat at one of two locally owned markets since they have the best and the best prices. Of course based on the weekly sales that sometimes changes.

I'm like Dave, I do Walmart or other big stores for the dry goods that are really cheap and hit either Safeway or Save On Foods for the rest.

You folks down south won't know Save On Foods but it is pretty awesome.

I shop at a variety of stores. Where I shop is influenced by prices, location, and what I need at the time.

Winco - Basic groceries and produce
Costco - Bulk items, pork, beef, chicken breasts, coffee, paper products
Trader Joe's and Whole Foods - specialty items
Walmart - Shampoo, toothpaste, vitamins, cold and allergy meds, pet food, etc.

We go to ShopRite because it is the closest and go on Wed. because of 5% for seniors that day. Sometimes we go to Wegmans and Sam's Club for stuff ShopRite does not have, but maybe once every 2 or 3 months. There is a Mr. Z/Weis store nearby but it is more money than ShopRite. I will go there on a Tues when they have their 5% for senior and only if they have something on sale that I need. Since hubby is retired , we are more careful about spending.
There is not TJ or Costo , or Whole Foods near us , so never been there.
Those are the two stores my Mom shops at all the time. I miss Wegman's. They don't have any stores on the west coast. :( When I lived in NY state, I shopped at Wegman's, Sam's, Wal-Mart and a local grocery called Quality Markets, which is going out of business. They used to be HUGE in western NY!

Out here in western WA, I shop at Safeway the most, WinCo and Costco (they have the best pizza around!!).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom