Which type of cook are you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm more two than one. Although I have cookbooks, I most times will combine things I read in them, removing things my family don't care for and adding things they do. I get the most enjoyment trying to duplicate something I've eaten or seen at a restaurant. Much of what I cook, comes from family such as my mother-in-laws ravioli and sauce, stuffed onions, tortas. Once in a while I'll make a special trip to the store, but most times I have it on hand.
When I shop I start with the veggies and go from there. I've always enjoyed making meals, but doing the fancier things drew my interest after my kids were older. As little guys it was feed me NOW, not feed me fancy:LOL:

kadesma

I am cook Number 3, My recipe calls for me to eat till I am full :ohmy:.

Attachments

• contents-bg.jpg
    contents-bg.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 153
  • curly.jpg
    curly.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 50
YT2095 said:
now if Mem serves that`s either a "sloppy joe" or a poorly bound Burger patty :)

They call it a loose meat hamburger, "MAIDRITE". :ohmy: They are very good also "CANTEENS".

Another combo of both. I like to look in my fridgefreezer and decide and sometimes I like to browse through my vast collection of cookbooks and recipes for divine inspiration, if you know what I mean!

What is it when you plan menus a week in advance...see what you have on hand and then go buy basics and anything else needed for the menus. A 3..or 4 maybe. With 2 freezers and a full pantry the menus are not written in stone however...and Monday can become Thursday etc...

Like most here it seems, combination of both. I keep my regulars around, chicken breasts and ground turkey in the freezer and all my spices, and shop fairly regularly for veggies and other random things.

I typically take a recipe to get the basics and toss in whatever feels fun, especially with mushrooms and chili powder :)

The best fun has to be some randomness with a chicken breast with some rice concontion and random spices, all with my girlfriend in the kitchen with me.

Thanks for the replies, eveyone.
I am still reading them.

Mel

Why dont u store the protein, in the freezer Vera Blue?
Is there something bad, about doing that, that I dont know about?

Mel

I am a little bit of both as well. We moved three years ago and I have a lovely big pantry. Makes such a difference. Now to keep it current!

During the work week, I am definitely an "improviser." Get in the door, put something on the stove to start cooking, feed the cat, and then figure out what will go with whatever is on the stove.

When I am feeling particularly wiped out, I usually cook a pot of whole-grain rice, so that I'll have some time to unwind while it's getting done.

And I rarely consult recipes any more for weekday meals, unless it's something in the bready line (pancakes, biscuits, etc.) I have to admit that I have spent a lot of years "facing the stove" for my family, and I did use recipes when I started.

Of course, I do sort of generally plan my weekend shopping around "useful items" and I like to try new things, but I'm afraid I do a lot of inventing with what's at hand, whether it's a bit of red wine in the tomato soup, or shredded swiss cheese on the pasta.

One advantage is that supper is usually a unique experience!

I'd have to say that I am a 1. I am still new to the cooking world so I am not sure what to substitute what for. I would like to be a 2 someday though so I can come up with new ways to make things.

I'd say I am a mixture of both. As others have stated, if there is a recipe that I want to try and do not have the ingredients (rare); I then add it to the ongoing restock shopping list.

I will usually follow the recipe the first time to the "T"; Then if excellent, leave it alone, otherwise, I add or take away to customize it to our taste.

Mel! said:
Why dont u store the protein, in the freezer Vera Blue?
Is there something bad, about doing that, that I dont know about?

Mel

I've become more particular with freshness, Mel. I'd rather go to the fish market or the butcher in the morning and then cook it that evening. I taste a difference when meat or fish comes out of the freezer.

I go to store, look around and then decide on the menu. My wife will usually give me a protien base idea and I go from there. I shop about 5 times a week depending on any leftovers or dinners out.

JDP

Certainly true, Vera Blue.
Fresh is best most of the time.

Mel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom