Which vegetable you hated but now love to eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I was a kid, I used to eat rhubarb raw out of the garden at my aunt's house. I didn't get many opportunities to do that as a kid, because my aunt lived in a suburb of Copenhagen. We were warned not to eat too much of it, because it would eat the enamel off our teeth. I have no idea if that is true.

We heard if you eat the whole cherry the seeds will stay in your stomach,,, forever.

We heard if you eat the whole cherry the seeds will stay in your stomach,,, forever.
I heard that, too, although my dad ate all of an apple, including the stem and seeds. My grandmother ate shrimp shells!

Then in seventh grade, I learned how the digestive system really works. Did anyone else read the "I Am Joe's Body" series? My seventh grade science teacher used those essays as handouts.

https://www.amazon.com/Joes-Body-Berkley-Readers-Digest/dp/0425099709

Mushrooms. Just couldn't then, can't get enough of them now.

(I saw broccoli come up several times in the thread, so I have to share. I used to LOVE broccoli. And I loved it raw, raw and organic. One evening, I was happily munching dinner and I saw I grub whose green perfectly matched the green of the broccoli. I have not been able to eat raw broccoli ever again -- oh, how much insect protein had I been eating? That thought still sends shivers down my spine.)

Forgot completely, but yes, couldn't eat mushrooms til I was in my 20's! Now.. can't get enough.

LOL - the broccoli would certainly make me think twice should I come across a juicy grub!

Mushrooms. Just couldn't then, can't get enough of them now.

(I saw broccoli come up several times in the thread, so I have to share. I used to LOVE broccoli. And I loved it raw, raw and organic. One evening, I was happily munching dinner and I saw I grub whose green perfectly matched the green of the broccoli. I have not been able to eat raw broccoli ever again -- oh, how much insect protein had I been eating? That thought still sends shivers down my spine.)

My mother always soaked broccoli and cauliflower in heavily salted water for an hour or two to get rid of any unwanted invertebrates. I don't know if it works, but I have read that recommendation elsewhere too. Oh, and the soaking was followed by thorough rinsing.

When I was a kid my mother chucked a can of sauerkraut into a pan and warmed it.
Disgusting.
I have mastered the sauerkraut. Even making it from scratch, which is the best way.

It's not a vegetable, but I think it fits this thread. As a child, I did not like olives, now I just love olives, I would even say that I am addicted to it.

When I was a kid, I used to eat it raw, straight out of the garden :yum:

I wouldn't eat rhubarb or anything with rhubarb in it when I was a kid, and I still won't. My neighbors had rhubarb growing on the side of their house, and their cat used to pee on it.

taxy, enuf of any acid will gradually wear off the enamel. But then, so will the sugar I dipped it in do big damage! :LOL::LOL:

But, rhubarb has oxalic acid which binds well with calcium. I still don't know if rhubarb is actually harmful to teeth if eaten raw, in quantity.

Hi there RobinWhite! Welcome to DC!

I too am addicted to Olives! Green, Black, stuffed ... with anything!

I've been known to buy a jar, in the parking lot, pour out the liquid, by the time I get home not too much is left!

But I have no idea if I hated them as a kid. I think I loved black olives first - Mom would only put them on the holiday table at the very last minute because I would just woof them down.

Walmart house brand cheese stuffed green olives. I’m pretty sure they are from Santa Barbara Olive company @ 1/2 the price.

Lee, not sure I'm understanding your post? Did you hate them and now love them? or like me, always Have! and love them for ever! LOL

Walmart house brand cheese stuffed green olives. I’m pretty sure they are from Santa Barbara Olive company @ 1/2 the price.

Did you mean to quote lastmanstanding? Because, I don't think the two of you are talking about the same thing.

I looked up "Ceylon olives" on Wikipedia and they look like an olive, but they are not what we call an olive. They aren't even vaguely related to the olives that come from the Mediterranean areas. They are the fruit of a tropical plant that is indigenous to Sri Lanka.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elaeocarpus_serratus

Did you mean to quote lastmanstanding? Because, I don't think the two of you are talking about the same thing.

I looked up "Ceylon olives" on Wikipedia and they look like an olive, but they are not what we call an olive. They aren't even vaguely related to the olives that come from the Mediterranean areas. They are the fruit of a tropical plant that is indigenous to Sri Lanka.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elaeocarpus_serratus
Yes I got it confused.
Interesting. Thx

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom