Which warehouse do you prefer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Half Baked

Executive Chef
Mr Half Baked and I haven't belonged to one in years but I'm ready to join again.

Which do you prefer? Could you tell me why?

Sam's
Costco
BJs

I don't know how to set up a poll.:(

I use BJ's because it is on my way home from most anywhere. I go to Costco once in a while with my dd but it is about 30 miles away in heavy traffic and she doesn't mind driving, but I do.

We are getting a Sam's in my town this fall. I was wondering how much does it cost to join? There are just the two of us, is it worth it? What do our members think? Thanks.

None of the above. I was a member for a few years but I let it expire. I found that just because it is a 'club' doesn't mean that everything is a bargain. In fact, I didn't really see much (if any) difference between the club prices and other stores in the community (for what I was buying). If I watch the sales papers I can find some really good prices in regular supermarkets. When I do, I stock up.

JoAnn L. said:
We are getting a Sam's in my town this fall. I was wondering how much does it cost to join? There are just the two of us, is it worth it? What do our members think? Thanks.

I'm not sure about the price of Sam's JoAnn...
but costco is worth it. There's only two of us too
but you can get some really really good deals. I love going there
to stock up on all my canned goods and then going to Safeway and figuring out how much I would have spent on the same amount of food. I love saving money. Paper products and frozen goods are also good deals if bought there.

There are things like cereals and breads and fresh fruit that are not such a great deal for us because they come in such large amounts and we'd never use them before they got old and stale.

I didn't renew my BJs membership because I was finding fruits and vegetable cheaper at the grocery store.

My DIL took me to Costco and I was pretty impressed with it.

I've never been to a Sam's Club.

pdswife said:
I love going there to stock up on all my canned goods and then going to Safeway and figuring out how much I would have spent on the same amount of food.

That's only one store. If you watch the sales flyers you might find stuff you need at different supermarkets unless you're that limited by your small town that you only have the one, but it seems that if your town is big enough for a club store there should be at least a few supers from which to choose.

I'm not saying there isn't some value in clubs, but I'd have to buy a lot of stuff to offset the membership price. Again, I guess I'm thinking of the stuff that I usually buy. I don't use a lot of paper products (but I can get toilet paper cheaper elsewhere) or canned veggies, so you really need to know what the store has that would be considered a real bargain based on your own needs.

We have had memberships in all three. Costco is the best IMO. They offer quality stuff, not cheap stuff at good prices. You do have to be aware of supermarket sales as sale prices will sometimes beat a Costco regular price.

Their house brand, Kirkland Signature, puts out top quality products. The free samples they provide are a great sales tool in my mind as they give you an opportunity to see how good the stuff is without committing to a large quantity. Also a great place for a snack. The senior citizens visit in large groups when the freebies are put out.

I have used both BJs and Costco, and prefer Costco for the better quality of merchandise and the company's policies. I could use any of the three. However, I am not a regular at any as I don't have a large family to buy for.

There are only 2 of us but I really like to buy in bulk, make dishes and freeze them.

Costco's bakery is something! *backing away from the sweets*

I fully agree AndyM. We've belonged to CostCo for many years now (about 15 years - back when it was still "Price Club") & LOVE it.

Buy their Kirkland toilet paper & paper towels & can't stand it when we run out & are forced to buy a national supposedly "top" brand at the stores. No comparison as to quality. Also get all our cat litter, extra-virgin olive oil, many wonderful imported cheeses, wines, fresh pastas, frozen chicken breasts, frozen cooked shrimp, frozen raviolis & potstickers there. Not to mention 3-4-foot tall Poinsettias & positively gorgeous mixed green wreaths at Xmas. Books, cut flowers, sheets & towels - frankly, the list is nearly endless.

I almost can't imagine shopping without CostCo!!

Robo410 said:
...However, I am not a regular at any as I don't have a large family to buy for.

Robo:

There are jut the two of us and it pays to shop Costco. Think really good meats! Whole cuts of pork, and different beef cuts like ribeye, tenderloin and sirloin strip. All these cuts also in smaller quantities in strofoam trays like the supermarkets use.

Specialty cheeses, cookbooks, movies and books. CDs and DVDs. Office supplies, car products, salted and unsalted butter (4 pound packs). Filipo Barrio EVOO and Costco's own brand of Tuscan EVOO.

Depending on local laws, beer and wine at very good prices.

We have an upright freezer and freeze what we cannot eat in a meal.

Not everything is a 'lifetime supply' package!

Also agreed - it's just my husband & me here as well, & we still shop & enjoy CostCo products without feeling like we're buying for an army.

Have been members of all three at one time or another, and there are only two of us here also.

Yes, you may often be able to do as well shopping for the sales, but we have to keep going to the store and will generally drop at least 200 bucks at the warehouse store just so we do not have to do serious shopping for quite a while.

Like them all.

Gave up our Sam's membership when we moved, it is really inconvenient to find one here.

Now belong to Costco and BJ's.

I think Costco has a better selection, but find the hours at BJ's much more convenient (they open earlier). Eight AM I believe on weekends.

Don't know if we will keep up BJ's or not.

But at least for now will keep at least one.

Back
Top Bottom