Who Is Your Favorite Celebrity Chef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Emeril for stovetop cooking and Bobby Flay for grilling and sauces. Emeril's Del Monico's Steakhouse was an awsome experience. I can't wait to try Bobby's Mesa Grill in Vegas next month.

Mario Batalli, Bobby Flay and Cat Cora... as you can see, I've been into the iron chef lately... also like Jeff Suddaby, he's not been on alot of tv shows but been to his restaurant, it was good, met him in person, he was nice, and he gave us an autographed cookbook because he found out we were on our honeymoon.

I enjoy Lidia Bastianich as well. I use a variation of one of her tomato sauces as my own.
I also love Jacques Pepin, Christopher Kimball, and Ming Tsai.
~mouse

Haha! BigJim mentioned Mr. Food. I like him too.

My real favorite is, and will probably always be Jacques Pepin. I love the way he teaches you how to handle the knives and such, along with his instructions on preparing the food. All very clear and all very interesting.

BC

I like Michael Chiarello, Morimoto, Alton Brown, and Rachael Ray...and Cat Cora and Giada De Laurentes and Ina Garten....

I really just like them all!

I forgot one that I loved to watch growing up.

Martin Yan, from Yan Can Cook.

"If Yan can cook, so can you!"

I missed him on Emeril recently. I was bummed. I wish his show was still on now. I remember watching him as a kid, but didn't really learn much then as I think I would have now.

I really don't get to watch them much these days...but I am studying Rick Bayless right now...that guys is teaching me a lot right now!!!

I really got bumed out when the Iron chefs form Japan are not on like they
were. I watched them releagusly. or all most every episode. I liked them
alot better than the american version.

There's also another one - Florence Tyler.

He has the show Food 911 on the Food Network weekday afternoons.

~Corey123.

My daughter loves Sandra Lee for her creativity.

Tyler Florence is a great chef too. He's on my favorite chefs' list.

Corey123 said:
Don't you both mean Sandra Dee? The one who does Semi-Homemade Cooking on the Food Network?

~Corey123.
Sandra Dee was an actress best known for her role as Gidget. Sandra Lee is the woman on the Food Network.

Ina Gartner,Paula Deen,Tyler Florence,Garry Rhodes,Nigella lawson.

Frankly, I don't personally think there are ANY "best" celebrity chefs today. I think they're all media puppets. I hate all the hoopla, the bands/music, the circles of "pseudo-friends" sampling the cooking - the whole deal. Also can't stand the pseudo-reality show chefs - aka Paula Dean & the Barefoot Contessa. And if I hear about just ONE more show starring Rachael Ray. . . . Who are they kidding with these - we're having a party, come watch our guests swoon over our food? What else are these guests going to do? Gag on camera? Lol!!

I'm sorry, but my HANDS DOWN celebrity chef will always be the late great Julia Child. She fully explained the recipe, the ingredients (& sometimes their history), how to best prepare them, & how to serve them - without a band, without an audience, without hoopla. Just serious cooking. Which is what a cooking show should be all about.

Not all this current culinary CIRCUS that Food Network feels everyone should be watching. When Food Network first came on the air, I watched it all the time. GREAT shows - all the golden oldies. Julia Child, Graham Kerr, & others - when cooking shows were COOKING shows - not a jump to primetime TV. I don't think Julia Child was all that interested in getting her own talk show. She was a SERIOUS cook - not a bimbo with a pan.

I like, in no particular order:

Paula Deen - hit and miss with her recipes. Some are just too, too..... too. And quite a few of hers are a bit too "semi-homemade" for my taste. But some are excellent! Try her Sour Cream Muffins, if you haven't yet. They are the quickest, easiest, tastiest biscuits ever.

Bobby Flay - not really into his show, but love his recipes. Almost all that I have tried so far have been excellent. Great mix of flavors, and usually not hard to make.

Giada de Laurentiis - again, hot or miss on her recipes. Like her show a lot, she seems very sweet as well. Have had varying success with her recipes. Some are excellent, some very mediocre.

Mario Batali - huge respect for this guy. Here is a man who really seems to know his subject. I like watching his show and his food looks and sounds wonderful - but most of his recipes are a little ambitious (or they are things my family won't eat) due to authenticity, so I haven't tried any yet. He's on my list, though!

Back
Top Bottom