Who knows about bikes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I have two mountain bikes that I have not used in a few years. I want to start riding again, but I want to do street riding with my kids and wife instead of mountain biking. One bike has front suspension and the other bike is full suspension.

I have two questions that hopefully someone here will be able to answer.

1. Can I convert my mountain bikes to road bikes somehow, maybe by just putting on different tires?

2. Would I be able to have a kid seat or kid carrier on either of these bikes? I am guessing the one with just front suspension might be able to take a kid seat or carrier. I am not sure about the full suspension one though.

I don't know much about bikes, but my husband hated his mountain bike once we were just on the road and with a kid seat. the suspension made it difficult to use.
He gave his away and got a "regular" bike. Much better (to him anyway) with the seat.

1. Can I convert my mountain bikes to road bikes somehow, maybe by just putting on different tires?

2. Would I be able to have a kid seat or kid carrier on either of these bikes? I am guessing the one with just front suspension might be able to take a kid seat or carrier. I am not sure about the full suspension one though.

1= yes

2=yes, get a carrier or tag along bike that mounts to your seat post, and trails behind you.

like this
102066000000000.jpg

Thank you both.

Suzi, I looked into getting a road bike, but it is more money than I want to spend right now. It was between that or a new mattress. The mattress won out.

Tatt thanks. I am looking for something for younger kids though. My 3 year old might be able to handle that, but probably not. My 8 month old sure couldn't though unless I used duct tape ;)

lol, that is a funny mental image!

They also make tow behind carriers, that attach like the image above. Some of them are covered to keep the sun from bronzing your baby too.

Yeah that is exactly what I was thinking of. I just was not sure where they attach. If they attach like the picture above then that could work great. Thanks!

Depending on how much riding you are going to do and the kind of workout you want you don't even have to switch out the tires.

Switching to smooth tires will provide less drag and a smoother ride, but it's not necessary.

I ride my mountain bike on the road all the time.

As far as the kid seat, though. I would depend on how your bike is set up. Mine, for example (like the one below but older) probably could not accomodate a center-mounted one.

Bring your bike to a good, full service bike shop and let them guide you.

9780-45_d.jpg

I have used to ride my bike on the road, but the drag was just too great. The only way I would really use it on the road is if I had road tires.

I have never seen the center mounted kind. I will have to look into those.

I'm not sure. I have a new mountain bike and it has back suspension. The gears make it amazing for road riding as well. So easy. I guess it depends on the make of the bike and how you use the gears. Some are made for one thing, others for both.

I have a trailer that connected to the frame just by the rear axle. It was wonderful to bike my two boys around - they were around 6 and 4. It had a seat belt and there was also a baby sling that you could pu young ones into. You could also convert this one to a buggy when detached. A bit like this
Kiddy Van 101 child bicycle trailer

Back
Top Bottom