Who loves their job/career?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't mind the work I do (customer service/administration/office work)
and I like the people I work with but... it's boring and any brain dead idiot could do it.
My boss likes me to feel needed so..he doesn't do much on the four days he's there alone, he leaves it all for me to do on my one day. Tuesday I had a three inch stack of papers to copy and file in two different places. Easy peasy but..DULL!!! I end up surfing the net A LOT.

I'm looking for something new..more hours...more money..more brain power..

I like my job, this is what I do - Armadillo Services I am in "the business" 45 years, on my own for 17. I am blessed with good people to work with (Co-Workers (I hate the word employees.)). I am also blessed with mostly good customers. Computers are also one of my hobbies.

AC

I like my job(s). Have had my own business since the early '80s. Now Buck and I have several jobs. I continue to do my part of our business with interior design and have been writing a syndicated column for almost 10 years. Both jobs give me the opportunity to be creative. Love creating. Always have.

The writing part feeds my desire to dive into all kinds of topics and to learn, learn, learn. I also love, love, love words. I have an insatiable sense of curiosity, which has gotten me into trouble. Big surprise, right?

As for the "design" aspect, one of my favorite things to do is to take a picture of something and turn it into a "real" thing. It's a challenge sometimes but, when I see the finished product, I have a great rush!

I have a love/hate relationship with my job. I used to work as a chef, about 10 years of it with the same company- one that I loved working for. But for a variety of reasons I quit and returned to school. Now I work at an independant restaurant (a steakhouse). I don't really have a title, per se. In a sense it wouldn't be inaccurate to call me the Sous Chef; the Chef had decided to quit and I was offered his job, but he changed his mind. Good thing, too, because I don't want it! I could do it til school starts again in the fall but then I'd have to cut back to three or four days.

My job is extremely easy Mon-Thurs, the a first-class pain on Fri & Sat. We're always shorthanded, often doing 300 or more covers with just two of us!:ermm: The food is sorta basic and boring from my perspective...it's very good quality but pretty much meat-and-tater stuff. No features, nothing French, limited menu aside from steaks, chops and walleye.

Still, I like most of my coworkers. And I'm paid very well for the level of responsibility I have. And we recently rehired a very good cook that used to work for us, so the overworking-and-understaffed thing should improve.

It's weird- I've held positions ranging from Sous Chef to Exec Chef for five different restaurants and overall have loved the Business. Ultimately, though, I had to ask myself: will I love it when I'm 48 years old? 58? The hours and stress tend to make you old before your time.

Still, I sometimes feel like a "traitor" for returning to school and trying to get out!:ROFLMAO: It that rediculous or what?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are days I don't like my job, but I'm sure that is true with anyone at some point and time. But I started my job that I have now not knowing anything about computers, basically a punk kid that probably should have been working at a fast food place. But I got a fortunate break to work where I am at now and they have taught me everything I know today about the telecommunications industry/IT. I am very very very thankful for that!

I generally enjoy my job as an air traffic controller. It can get intense at times, but every day the traffic is different so it never gets monotonous. There's really not another job like it.

(Lack of) Staffing and labor/pay issues have really hurt morale, however.

I LOVE my job as of right now. I have been working here for 2 years. I am an IT administrator. My daily tasks are as follows.

Build new computers
Fix the network issues if any
Browse the internet
Talk with friends on Discuss cooking forums
Fix or try to fix software related issues
Homework when there is nothing going on

I have really good hours to. 7-3:30 Monday-Thursday and on Friday i can leave at 2:30 if i want to but most of the time i stay.

I cant wait till im CCNA, CCNP, and RHCE certified

I'm in year 30 of teaching. I have not lost my passion. I look forward to every day. I also look forward to June July and August when I get to shift gears and refresh myself.

I like my job because it allows for me to have the time, and $$ to do what i really like. Kayak, Mountain Bbike, photography, cook, travel, time with the family, garden...
The job itself is ok, but the time off is better ;)

I like my job because it allows for me to have the time, and $$ to do what i really like. Kayak, Mountain Bbike, photography, cook, travel, time with the family, garden...
The job itself is ok, but the time off is better ;)

what is your job?

Maybe I should have become a dentist because some of my favorite hobbies happen to be:

Kayaking, Mountain Biking, photography, cooking, travel, time with the family, gardening...

I love my job. I always said the day I wake up and don't want to go is the day I change jobs. I've worked for the same bank for.....well, more years than some of you have been alive. :ROFLMAO: I've been in my current position for 10 years, so, I can do it blindfolded, but every day brings something new. This December , (243 sleeps, but who's counting), I'll retire. Then US Immigration willing, I'll be working in a kitchen sometime next year.

I never considered my job "a job". I have done it since my 12th birthday and have never ever considered doing anything else. Work wasn't work, it was pleasure. I'm retired now but you can see my upload here to understand. I saw the best of times before financial pressures ruined the industry.

Buzz

Can we assume from the video that you were a pilot for American Airlines?

31 years with the last 11 on the 767 flying O'Hare - Europe and Hawaii. Edit: and the Carribbean. How could I EVER forget my 150 36 hour layovers in Sint Maarten, Netherlands Antilles????

My wife was a 35 year flight attendant. That's a lot of time to give to one company but it was the best. My how times have sadly changed.... :dry:

Buzz

Last edited:
Sounds like you've earned your retirement while enjoying yourself.

Times have changed a great deal for the airline industry. American appears to be one of the healthier airlines. It seems like there is a bankruptcy or merger every time you turn around.

I'd guess flying was more enjoyable in the earlier part of your career.

Sounds like you've earned your retirement while enjoying yourself.

To the hilt. I "graduated" five years ago and they're still tossing my name around. LOL

I'd guess flying was more enjoyable in the earlier part of your career.

I was lucky in my timing. The last three years I was the #1 seniority 767 captain in the entire company (13,000 pilots). As the saying goes, crap rolls down hill but I was on top and was hardly touched.

I never had a "bad day" - Marine Corps fighter pilot jargon for "the day you die". Yup, I was one of those too. I'm the guy who won the war in Viet Nam. :wacko:

Back
Top Bottom