Who Would Win A Fight Between Alton Brown And Emeril?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My vote is for Emeril. I

like to watch Alton - however, halfway through his show I feel myself start to drift - sort of the way I did in science class in high school....:wacko: blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone, I really like Alton, but sometimes he gets so detailed that I really just don't care anymore. Just tell me, show me, how to cook something with a "brief" description why. That's it for me-my brain can't handle much else.

Now my husband, he loves Alton and gets absorbed into the indepth explanations - the difference between us.

Unfortunately, I'd have to agree that Emeril would win a cook-off ; I really prefer Alton but it's obvious that Emeril has more experience and some pretty good food.....

I don't like to watch/listen to people who yell -- in other words, I like some of emeral's shows, but hate anything with "BAM!" in it. I like shows where his cooking ability is the focus, not the in your face yelling. I agree that Alton's are all about science, which is interesting, but not personality driven like Emeril's shows are. Often when I watch Alton, I wonder why he is going out of his way to make cooking a dish so much harder than it needs to be. I agree Alton is no chef. Emeril seems to be a great chef, but on some of his shows (I guess ones geared to younger people than me) are just so loud and obnoxious I will only watch them with the volume on "mute". I'm getting so I don't watch either very much any more.

I don't know if Emeril is better chef, it could be that Alton is just doing his show, and that is the immage (sp?) he is trying to keep. Maybe he is a great chef too. I've learned a lot from him. Do you remeber the show he was making fun of Iron Chef?

CharlieD said:
I don't know if Emeril is better chef, it could be that Alton is just doing his show, and that is the immage (sp?) he is trying to keep. Maybe he is a great chef too. I've learned a lot from him. Do you remeber the show he was making fun of Iron Chef?

Alton is no chef. One has to earn the title of a chef to be a chef, or at least be certified by something like the ACF. Alton is a TV personality who has a culinary background and has a lot of book knowledge. The problem is that the American media has made the term cook and chef ubiquitous. Bobby Flay is a chef. Emerill Lagasse is a chef. Tyler Florence is a chef. Alton Brown is not. Rachel Ray is not. Ina Garten is not.

You know I've only seen couple of Inna shows, so I can't tell iether way, but why do you say she is not a chef, she has books sold all over the world?

Chef is a professional title just as Doctor is. Just because you cook or are around food for a living does not make you a chef.

CharlieD said:
You know I've only seen couple of Inna shows, so I can't tell iether way, but why do you say she is not a chef, she has books sold all over the world?

A cookbook author does not make one a chef. Do a search on the internet about the subject, the brigade system, etc. Other people may view it differently, but being that I have had to work my way up the system and that it is my choice of profession, I get insulted when people like Alton Brown and Ina Garten are refered to as chefs because they're not. It's the same way how some doctors feel insulted when people refer to dentists as doctors.

GB said:
Chef is a professional title just as Doctor is. Just because you cook or are around food for a living does not make you a chef.

ironchef said:
Thank you. Good, concise explanation.

Okay, I'll bite.

What makes a chef as chef? At least from the generally accepted standpoint, no specific paradigms or anything.

:huh:

I Though Ina was cooking for living, wasn't she? Like i said I have not seen much of her. And even though from what I have seen I did not like her personality and her personaly, but couple of things she cooked looked very good.

CharlieD said:
I Though Ina was cooking for living, wasn't she? Like i said I have not seen much of her. And even though from what I have seen I did not like her personality and her personaly, but couple of things she cooked looked very good.

I'm sure her food is good, but cooking for a living and being a chef are different. That's like saying the french fry guy at McDonald's is a chef because he cooks for a living. Read the link that I posted. It provides a breakdown of sorts.

no offence to anyone who confuses a cook or an author for a chef, but when you spend 10 years climbing the ranks to chef from scrubbing pots and peeling fava beans to running a restaurant (operations, hiring, food costs, ordering, taking the crap, learning new things ect... not just cooking) then you will understand the true meaning of chef, I know a guy that cuts grass for a living for himself, but he's not the CEO of a corporation.

http://www.culinary-yours.com/whatsachef.html

This breaks it down pretty good. Emeril has 9 restaurants, alton got a culinary degree so he could have ther knowledge to produce a cooking show. He owns a production co. not a restaurant. So, technically he is a director/producer. He does know a ton about food, and i love his knowledge so please don't misunderstand that, but throw him on my line on a friday night to cook for 300+ and see how much of a CHEF he is.

phinz said:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: OMG. I about blew breakfast out my nose. :LOL::LOL:

OUCH!!! :LOL:

Emeril would win. (It might be AB, if he bores everyone else to tears.)

Hmmmmm... well according to the wikipedia. I have all of those titles. :LOL: Except I dont get paid. I havent been to school for cooking either. But I DID work the way up the ladder in my family. When I was around 13 I used to peel things. Now I have my own place and manage the pantry and refridge too! :LOL:
Anyhow, Emril would beat the snot out of Alton in cooking. AS for a fist fight..... Im not sure alton is tall and in shape it seems. Emeril is short and overweight by a good amount. I would say ALton would win. :)

Chef

GB said:

Very well said GB. Those other ppl that can cook are good, but they didn't have to spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
for an education nor did they have to slaughter beef just to be able to identify a certain cut. Oh well I could go on and on and on

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom