Why don't ice cream sandwiches melt anymore?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's amazing how much crap is added to make cheap "ice cream". If you look carefully at the less expensive ice creams in the freezer at the supermarket, some don't even use the words "ice cream" on the carton because their product doesn't meet the federal standard for ice cream.

It's amazing how much crap is added to make cheap "ice cream". If you look carefully at the less expensive ice creams in the freezer at the supermarket, some don't even use the words "ice cream" on the carton because their product doesn't meet the federal standard for ice cream.

The USA has official rules that every single company must follow that define what is a "FROZEN DAIRY DESERT" and what is "ICE CREAM" because those are two different things.

The USA has official rules that every single company must follow that define what is a "FROZEN DAIRY DESERT" and what is "ICE CREAM" because those are two different things.

And that is why I read the label unless I know the brand.
Someone mentioned "cheap" ice cream and I thought the same way until I was shocked to find one of the cheapest brands available, in one of the most obscure grocery store's, was some of the best commercial ice cream I have ever eaten.
IGA store brand ice cream is comparable to Breyer's as far as ingredients and creaminess.
I have only tried the butter pecan so far.

I now will buy this ice cream until they find out how good it is themselves and either raise the price or discontinue it.

If you compare the weight of same volume cartons of ice cream, the premium brands will be heavier. They have less air whipped into the dairy mixture.

Whipping lots of air into ice cream gives it a very creamy mouth feel without having to use premium ingredients such as cream (or you can use very little).

The terms "double churned" and such are used as a way to make their product seem more homemade, but in reality it's just saying "we've whipped the crap out of it and filled it with air"

Back
Top Bottom