Why is my dog doing this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wondered about that, too, but for this you use the very tiny mouse traps (they come in sizes) and then cover the whole area with a sheet to keep the traps from actually snapping down on any part of the dog. What you want is the combination of noise and movement which will scare the dog. After a couple of times, most dogs think the couch is "haunted" and will avoid it. I also used those massaging pillows once to get a dog to stay off a certain chair. He hated the buzzing and vibration, which was activated by pressure on the pillow.

But then there are dogs like yours, Adillo. I really don't know if it would deter him, especially if he is hunting trained. They are generally trained not to be bothered by loud noises, etc.

I used to lay newspaper on the mousetrap, more for my cat than anything, but it also worked on my dogs. Snapping closed with a paper on top does add another element to the sound, but I think it was more in place so the the trap would be set off without directly touching the trap. I think this because it was dang hard to lay a piece of newspaper on the trap without setting it off myself, so at one point, when I used the traps strictly for dog training and "quarrantined" the cat during these sessions, I stopped using the paper.

Does it hurt the dog? Probably. It hurts me when I accidently set the trap off on myself, but I don't lose the use of my finger or anything and the pain quickly goes away. I would not use it on a frail, small dog, but I haven't had any ill effects on Ridgebacks, which isn't exactly what I would call a dog of bulk, or my Presa, who is light in the bone for her breed.
The thing I like about this method is it only takes a few times, then you don't even need to set the trap anymore. Just placing it where you don't want the dog will go or "nose" will get you the desired response. My pup was getting a little too interested on what was on the coffee table; remotes, magazines..... A snap on the nose (I assume) from a mousetrap and now he looks at the articles, sees the trap setting there, thinks, then finds something else to do. You can almost see the smoke from his mind churning :LOL:

I am a bit of a believer in what a trainer once told me;
One good correction is worth a thousand nagging ones.

Edited to add: They only sell one size mousetrap around my area. Then you graduate to rat traps. I use the common, wooden mousetrap.

:)My red bone coon hound used always jump on the couch and the bed but I believe he did it because it was just plain comfortable. I had Dh build a box like bed with a little raised edge on it to fit a toddlers mattress. Bought a Sealy Brand toddler mattress at Walmart they are cheaper than a expensive dog bed. I also bought some fitted sheets then covered it with an old soft blanket. He loved that bed and he knew it was his very own bed and never went on the couch or bed again. :LOL: In fact Henry who is no longer with us would jump on the bed and slowly try to push you to the edge and push you off which was easy for him since he weighed over 90 pounds:LOL: Thats why I know it was all about comfort to him.

In fact Henry who is no longer with us would jump on the bed and slowly try to push you to the edge and push you off which was easy for him since he weighed over 90 pounds:LOL: Thats why I know it was all about comfort to him.
Bella does this, too. She's not allowed on the bed with me unless invited because she starts out curled up in a corner at the foot of the bed but as the night progresses, she stretches out further and further until I have no room. She's about 70 lbs so she definitely uses up some real estate.

no dog here, just thomas my cat. he for the most part goes where i do. at night he goes with me into the bedroom. when i say "time for night night" he jumps on the bed. doesn't scratch so much as knead on blankets. no harm no foul.

actually he pretty much goes where ever he likes. for attention he will give couch and a recliner a tiny scratch. he likes that i run and say no no.

babe:ermm:

Bear & Liam are 85# each (Chocolate and Black Labs). They woul dlove to sleep on the bed, but, they do attempt to clear us off first. I really like the toddler mattress idea. I bought the dog bed and the foam did not last long. Bear did understand from the first moment that it was his and loves it. Liam used ot sleep on DW's side and Bear om mine, both on beds on the floor. Now they both want my side ans we are trying to sort that out.

It is not uncommon for me to arrive to bed...

to find it full with 1 wife, 1 black lab, 1 white labtriever,
1 calico cat, 1 runty Morris the cat, and one 18 pounder Maine Coon mix..
(fraternal twin to runty cat.)

Every now and then, I just head for the couch. Not the DOGS' futon couch...
the human futon couch. (Yeah, they have their own.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom