"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-15-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
Senior Cook
 
TanyaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cape Town,South Africa
Posts: 319
Why is my dog doing this?

There's very few dog rules in our house but the one rule is that they're not allowed to jump on the beds or couch. The past week our bulldog has slept on the couch every night (he jumps up after we've gone to bed and jumps off when he hears one of us coming down the passage but sometimes he's too slow and we catch him or otherwise he leaves evidence in the form of drool marks on the couch) He's 10 and a half years old and have never done this before. He and the staffie sleeps in a very comfortable dog bed in the living room and they get tucked in underneath their blanket every night as it's winter (the couch is leather so it can't be warm or comfortable for him to lie there) Things have been a bit hectic in our household the past couple of weeks but we've still been spending the same amount of time with the dogs as usual so I don't think he's doing it for attention. Has anyone else experienced the same with their dogs or does anyone have any idea why he might be doing this ?

__________________

TanyaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,296
Not sure TK.... dogs express themselves in ways I can only wonder. (As I type this, Binks is staring at me so lovingly from my lap... I wonder what he is thinking!) He obviously knows he is not suppose to do it, but for what ever reason he is. Stress or changes around the house could be to blame, but I have leather furniture and my dogs love laying on it. I should have got the picture of Binks today nestled on the couch... he looked soooo cozy and comfy.
__________________

sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:01 PM   #3
Hospitality Queen
 
jkath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,448
My first thought is that, at his age, he probably has developed arthritis. Dog beds don't have enough padding and the joints hurt because of it. I would recommend either using an old couch cushion you don't use anymore, or one of those overstuffed floor cushions and showing your dog it's for him.
__________________
Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
Senior Cook
 
TanyaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cape Town,South Africa
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath View Post
My first thought is that, at his age, he probably has developed arthritis. Dog beds don't have enough padding and the joints hurt because of it. I would recommend either using an old couch cushion you don't use anymore, or one of those overstuffed floor cushions and showing your dog it's for him.
Thanks - that might just be it - will try it (and take him to the vet for a check up)
TanyaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:12 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,630
My cat Hemi used to do that. He thought he was smarter than me.

The smoking gun was all the fur he left there while he was sleeping.

That pet-off stuff worked for a little while, then I just gave up.
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:41 PM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Collier County, Fl.
Posts: 4,198
If things are hectic in your house, could it be your smells bring him the security, despite the warmth of his own bed? Plus it's got to be softer.
Rub his comfort objects on yourself, or whoever he's most close to. Then place in his bed. See what happens.
But I would take him to the vet.
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:17 PM   #7
Senior Cook
 
pugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 248
Pillow Talk

Our oldest will climb up on a bedpillow when something is wrong . Can't explain it, it's just her thing. If we're laying on the pillow she will sit on the spot we're not laying on.
pugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:25 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Yep. Hard to say.
My 8-1/2 year old went through a phase doing that for a while. Now she is content being back on the floor where "she belongs", and her joints are stiff, so the floor definitely isn't more comfortable for her.
Dogs do like sleeping up high when possible. It is where the alpha always sleeps, the highest spot. Nothing a mousetrap won't cure.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:26 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,264
Maybe he's too hot tucked into his dog bed. The leather would feel cooler to him.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:17 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaK
He and the staffie sleeps in a very comfortable dog bed in the living room and they get tucked in underneath their blanket every night as it's winter (the couch is leather so it can't be warm or comfortable for him to lie there)
Who says??? Maybe Mr. Bulldog is smarter than you give him credit for. Who wouldn't want to bunk on a leather couch than on the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaK
he jumps up after we've gone to bed and jumps off when he hears one of us coming down the passage but sometimes he's too slow and we catch him or otherwise he leaves evidence in the form of drool marks on the couch)
So he knows what he is doing is unacceptable...Maybe behavior modification is called for...
__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:20 PM   #11
Head Chef
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: VA
Posts: 1,218
maybe he is hot ... my dogs when hot get right on the leather ..
love2"Q" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:50 PM   #12
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 3,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Yep. Hard to say.
My 8-1/2 year old went through a phase doing that for a while. Now she is content being back on the floor where "she belongs", and her joints are stiff, so the floor definitely isn't more comfortable for her.
Dogs do like sleeping up high when possible. It is where the alpha always sleeps, the highest spot. Nothing a mousetrap won't cure.
The mousetrap thing can be very effective. Buy the really small ones and set a few all over the couch and then cover with a sheet. Dogs sometimes learn a little slower than cats with this but it works a lot of the time. As far as why, I'd love to know, too. My Bella does the same thing, including jumping off fast and pretending she wasn't up there.
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:43 PM   #13
Senior Cook
 
Cooper'sMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 137
I love my dog going on top of the couch. In the family room, our couch(es) are leather too. If it is fabric like in the formal lounge room, I will object as it may leave a smell, but leather you can wipe off the drool. I do not understand what the problem is...but then, my dog just turned 5 months old recently and we spoiled him to bits. Who wouldn't? With a face like his, drool and all, we love him...
__________________
Tucker's Mum aka Cooper's Mom

--Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Cooper'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:51 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
My Bella does the same thing, including jumping off fast and pretending she wasn't up there.
A sure sign; they don't put the remote back where you left it.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:55 PM   #15
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 3,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
A sure sign; they don't put the remote back where you left it.
OMG!!!! And I've been yelling at my kids for this!
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:58 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper'sMom View Post
I love my dog going on top of the couch. In the family room, our couch(es) are leather too. If it is fabric like in the formal lounge room, I will object as it may leave a smell, but leather you can wipe off the drool. I do not understand what the problem is...but then, my dog just turned 5 months old recently and we spoiled him to bits. Who wouldn't? With a face like his, drool and all, we love him...
There are lots of people who still think of dogs as dogs and do their best not to humanize them and place them at the same level as humans. Family members? Yes. Equals? No.
But hey, Cesar Milan has turned retraining humanized poochies into quite the little enterprise.... So I guess it benefits some people
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:28 AM   #17
Senior Cook
 
TanyaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cape Town,South Africa
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper'sMom View Post
I love my dog going on top of the couch. In the family room, our couch(es) are leather too. If it is fabric like in the formal lounge room, I will object as it may leave a smell, but leather you can wipe off the drool. I do not understand what the problem is...
He has the habit of always gathering his blankets in his dogbed by scratching it this way and that way until his bed is arranged just the way he likes it. Now he does this on the couch even though there's no blankets to gather and this leaves scratch marks all over my couch
TanyaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:36 AM   #18
Senior Cook
 
TanyaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cape Town,South Africa
Posts: 319
Thanks all - I'm going to try the "behaviour modification via mouse trap" method (something I definitely would not have thought of on my own :-)) Will report back on effectiveness !
TanyaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:14 PM   #19
Senior Cook
 
Cooper'sMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaK View Post
He has the habit of always gathering his blankets in his dogbed by scratching it this way and that way until his bed is arranged just the way he likes it. Now he does this on the couch even though there's no blankets to gather and this leaves scratch marks all over my couch
Oh...I am so sorry...

My dog just flops on the couch and sleeps or on the couch and put his head on my lap. I don't like him on the floor as sometimes it is just too cold there and you know how we people are...it is nice to be cool on the floor while young but it soon catches up with you when you get old...so do animals...

As for dogs, if the Hilton is available with all the services, why go camping on the car park?
__________________
Tucker's Mum aka Cooper's Mom

--Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Cooper'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:55 PM   #20
Head Chef
 
Adillo303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Haledon, New Jersey
Posts: 1,072
Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
I hsve a question and I think I know the answer. but I want to ask anyway.

I always heard that the mousetrap will hurt the dog. Is this true. I am not sure anymore as my Lab springs them and crushes the trap in his mouth. Which also leads me to ask would mousetrap traning be efective on this dog.
__________________

Adillo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×