Wildland Fires and the Fourth of July

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SierraCook

Master Chef
Hi, all DC'ers. Currently, I am on a fire assignment in California on the Tahoe National Forest that was started by a lightning storm last Friday. It is really frustrating to have all those trees go up in smoke. But what is more frustrating is when the fires are started by humans. So, please with the upcoming Fourth of July in the States, please be careful with fireworks.

If you have to shoot off fireworks:

Have an area cleared of all vegetation.
Do not light fireworks if it is windy.
Douse spent fireworks in a bucket of water.
Keep a hose nearby.
Buy only safe and sane fireworks.

Thanks for reading my message and I hope that everyone has a safe and fun Fourth of July.

Welcome | The National Council on Fireworks Safety

Last edited:
Stay safe too SC. I know California has had a lot of fires lately. People definitely need to be very careful when dealing with fireworks and fire in any form. In California we always watched the city's fireworks display since it was illegal to do our own. They are legal here, and we have done some, but we are careful. We do them in our yard, and we hose the area down afterwards.

As Sierra Cook said, be careful everyone! Not just with fireworks, but with campfires, and other fires as well.

:)Barbara

good advice, sc. smokey bear is smiling somewhere (apparently with the pope :)).

but unfortunately, to the people that read this, it's like preaching to the choir. i love fire and fireworks, but play with it safely. it's always a good idea to have water or extinguishers ready, if you must.

I haven't seen fireworks in a couple of years do to fire danger codes here and town budget cutbacks. But ours are done on the beach, over water, so no danger.
We have had a series of arson this year that cost homes and thousands of acres of pristine land only which is seen here in all the world. It will take many years, if at all, to come back.
'
Bless you for you and your team's efforts.
And thanks for the reminder to all.
Be safe
And Happy 4th.

I would like to add a suggestion: never let kids under the age of 16 (at least) light the fireworks! They can do the sparklers, but those should be lit by an adult! The entire "fireworks show" should be conducted by adults with spectators at a safe distance.

Thanks, Sierra -
I keep hearing about the lighting-started fires and have been worried about you!
Glad to know you're okay.

We don't do any fireworks here, and from my son's bedroom window, we can see 2 different city displays going on.

When they were young, I got the boys glow sticks to play with. Now that they're older, I like to get the kids poppers (the ones that shoot confetti streamers and make a really big mess on the driveway)

Hi, all DC'ers. Currently, I am on a fire assignment in California on the Tahoe National Forest that was started by a lightning storm last Friday. It is really frustrating to have all those trees go up in smoke. But what is more frustrating is when the fires are started by humans. So, please with the upcoming Fourth of July in the States, please be careful with fireworks.

If you have to shoot off fireworks:

Have an area cleared of all vegetation.
Do not light fireworks if it is windy.
Douse spent fireworks in a bucket of water.
Keep a hose nearby.
Buy only safe and sane fireworks.

Thanks for reading my message and I hope that everyone has a safe and fun Fourth of July.

Welcome | The National Council on Fireworks Safety

i thank you and california thanks you for all you do,serra:cool::cool:

SierraCook, just wondering how you're making out, out there.
Hope you and your team are getting on top of things, and able to get some rest.
Still in my prayers.........................................

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom