Wildlife, Ferals and other animals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Last night and one night last week I heard a dog crying in the night. It sounded for all the world like my own dog (an aged Jack Russell). Last week when I heard it she was sitting on my lap, so I knew it wasn't her. It was in the wee hours, when I'm inclined to be awake (insomniac tendencies). Last night I went upstairs and found her soundly asleep next to my husband, who I woke for long enough to ask him if she had been crying. No. I know it wasn't one of the feral cats, it did not sound like a cat. Do either foxes or racoons make a similar noise? I know we have both in the neighborhood. I've heard tell that there are coyotes around, but haven't seen one.

Have they been any sightings of prairie dogs in your area? If I am not mistaken they earned their name because of their very dog like yapping...
Or perhaps some poor neglected dog who needed to go out and take care of his nature's calling but there were no one to let him out?

LOL - chupacabra was my first guess! Since we used to have goats, we were always on the lookout for the dreaded chupacabra....last night, we heard strange noises and got up to investigate. We found two little tlacuaches rooting around in the cat food bag in the pantry. Our two cats were simply sitting and watching, with curious expressions on their faces, a foot or so away. Tlacuaches are a type of little black opossum (I happen to have an affection for opossums - one I know that not everyone shares). Here is what they look like - very cute.
usr6104_gal4.jpg

QS, we have armadillos here, too...we saw one walking down the street just after we arrived here, more than two years ago, and haven't seen one since. They must stay well-hidden. I like your avatar - we also have crocs, not alligators. BIG ones. They are pretty aggressive saltwater crocs and the beaches are sometimes closed when one is spotted.

MK., arms are nocturnal, and they burrow holes or under houses, tear up a/c duct work to nest and raise their babies in. Alligators are everywhere here and there are manmade canals everywhere for rain run off, and mangroves, which are great for hiding in. You can hear their gutteral calls at night to their babies and back. It's kind of spooky.
I had possum up north, and they ate what was left after the dogs, then ducks, then cats ate. They were cute-except for their tails.
But, boy, is this getting way off topic. Sorry, Claire. I hope you find an answer to your question.

Last night and one night last week I heard a dog crying in the night. It sounded for all the world like my own dog (an aged Jack Russell). Last week when I heard it she was sitting on my lap, so I knew it wasn't her. It was in the wee hours, when I'm inclined to be awake (insomniac tendencies). Last night I went upstairs and found her soundly asleep next to my husband, who I woke for long enough to ask him if she had been crying. No. I know it wasn't one of the feral cats, it did not sound like a cat. Do either foxes or raccoons make a similar noise? I know we have both in the neighborhood. I've heard tell that there are coyotes around, but haven't seen one.

:) The youtube Quicksilver linked is exactly what coyotes sound like. Raccons make a kind of chirping noise prairie dogs make a more chip chip noise fox make no noise unless confronted I also doubt it's a possum and definitely know it's not an armadillo to far north. It's most likely is a dog in distress unless you know how to differentiate dog howls and barks it will be hard to know what they are trying to say.
I do not know if you have coyotes in your area but I would not be surprised.

Haven't seen any possums or armidillos since moving here, but I do know that the former will live almost anywhere. Heck, I don't care if a line gets off topic, it is fun to just chat. I DID find a kitten in the yard, a real cutie I'd adopt if my geriatric dog didn't mind (I don't think she'd be happy) but I know what the feral cats sound like, and this didn't match up with what I've heard before.

My mail carrier also owns a geriatric Jack Russell and said that she'd decided to get a JR puppy and wound up finding it another home. They are SO energetic and take a lot of time and energy to train.

:) I have owned this book for several years it has a part that explains dog barks and howling and what it means. I believe it to be very true. It also shows what their body language means. It is very interesting and I refer to it often. It even has a list of the smartest to dumbest dogs as in how well they train and how well they take commands. A good read regardless. I highly reccomend it.

Something tells me that I do not want to click on this link..... not with my three dogs sleeping peacefully at my feet anyway :LOL:

:) Not to worry its just in text no sound but is missing many other barks and howls dogs have which is why I added the link to the book I have to explain it much better.

Back
Top Bottom