Winter Project(s)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
This winter we decided to paint our kitchen cabinets. They were in bad shape and this was the easiest way to improve the overall condition of the kitchen. SO suggested we practice on the vanity in the half bath off the kitchen. I thought that was a good idea so we started with that.

The intent was to paint the vanity base. We did that. Then SO didn't like the vanity top and sink (it was pink!). So we ended up getting a one-piece vanity top/sink from Lowes. Then we needed a new faucet set to go with the new vanity. Then the pink walls didn't look good with the new vanity top and white painted vanity base so we painted the entire bathroom. The "practice project" kind of grew as it went but I have to admit I really like the finished product.

Progress was interrupted due to our "Florida/Cruise/Delayed return home/2½ day power failure" from the end of February through the first week or two of March.

On to the kitchen. We decided to paint all the top cabinets first then move on to the bottom ones. We got that done the week before Easter and decided on a hiatus until after the holiday, as we were entertaining.

After Easter we attacked the bottom cabinets/drawers. We finished today! Clearly we took our time, no pressure.

I almost forgot. In the middle of the kitchen work, SO decided she wanted to remodel her bedroom. Painting the walls, painting and stenciling a chest of drawers and rearranging all the furniture.

Here is a photo of the half bath and a before and two after photos of the kitchen.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 139
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 133
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 120
Wow, they look good, good job! I'm think of doing something similar to our kitchen cabinets. They are varnished with old ugly dark stain now and am thinking of using solid colors, maybe white. Did you have to strip the old varnish to make this transition?

Wow, they look good, good job! I'm think of doing something similar to our kitchen cabinets. They are varnished with old ugly dark stain now and am thinking of using solid colors, maybe white. Did you have to strip the old varnish to make this transition?

No stripping. We cleaned the cabinets then sanded the surfaces lightly then put on a coat of primer and coats of paint.

Nicely done, Andy....

Daughter and SIL are in the process of painting and re-doing every room in the house they purchased last month.. It will take a while but, one day soon, it will truly be their "home"..

Ross

...The intent was to paint the vanity base. We did that. Then SO didn't like the vanity top and sink (it was pink!). So we ended up getting a one-piece vanity top/sink from Lowes. Then we needed a new faucet set to go with the new vanity. Then the pink walls didn't look good with the new vanity top and white painted vanity base so we painted the entire bathroom. The "practice project" kind of grew as it went but I have to admit I really like the finished product...
Your remodeling process sounds a little like the children's book "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie". :) One thing leads to another. The results are wonderful! Congrats on a job well done.

Do you hire out? Never mind - we probably can't afford your rates. :LOL:

Looks beautiful Andy! I love the soft gray paint in the bath....and the white kitchen cabinets. When and if I ever redo my kitchen, I'm going with white cabinets as well.

Looks beautiful Andy! I love the soft gray paint in the bath...

Actually Cheryl, it's a soft cocoa brown but that's hard to see in the picture. It picks up some of the brown tones in the vanity top.

Last edited:
Actually Cheryl, it's a soft cocoa brown but that's hard to see in the picture. It picks up some of the brown tones in the vanity top.

Thanks for clarifying, Andy. I actually almost wasn't going to mention color in case it was showing up differently on my screen :LOL:, I just know I love it! :)

Back
Top Bottom