Words

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Something happened in the past few days that got me thinking on a subject. I realized that my dog (I've had for 6 mos) responds to different words than my previous pets. I finally noticed and told my husband, she responds to "outside" -- either as a command or a question, rather than various other "potty" words, and she responds to "enough" rather than stop or no.

But it got me to thinking. I read to an elderly blind lady who is interested in words and their origins. Some words you just like the sound of. For some reason two of my favorite words are French; parapluie and pomplamousse (probably have neither spelled correctly). Don't know why; I mean it isn't meaning (umbrella and grapefruit?). Do I just like the "Ps"?

Are there words you like the sound of? I've obviously found what Rosebud responds to. Her name was Kat when we adopted her, but she didn't respond to that at all. I've always believed in 2-syllable names for dogs. But, as humans, what words do YOU like. Just like the sound, meaning aside.

I like different oxymorons like... Jumbo shrimp, pretty ugly, etc. And my favorite one...adult male.

Some words make my tongue giggle!

I have always loved the word pomplamousse,

Madame Pomplamousse.

Last edited:
Thou art a beslubbering spur-galled barnacle on the fustilion rump of humanity, but I like you;)

I like zapatos. I also like tintinabulation. Cincinati has a neat sound. Algid is kind of cool sounding. Blossom is nice to say. Tomb, doom and broom are fun to say. I love onomotopoeic (sp?) words like rat-a-tat tat, ding, bing (get me the machine that goes bing), crick, tip tap, and lots of others.

I hate the word sepulchre. It sounds like the person started to say something pretty sounding and got interupted by a gaggy throat spasm.

Back
Top Bottom