Work out!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Seems to me there was a thread like this awhile back, but couldn't find it. So, being a new year and all:

What are you doing for workouts? Are you trying something new? Do you have a tried and true? How often?

This summer the fitness center where I've worked out for the past ten years drastically reduced the classes they have. I truly hate exercise machines (that is to say, aerobic ones, stationary bicycles, step machines, etc). I need a class in the mornings. I like dance, went to Jazzercise for many years. Not available here. Then a friend who was also sent adrift by the lack of classes told me about a Zumba class at our local community center. So fun! Plus, it is close enough (although completely vertical) that in good weather I can walk there.

On my own, I do a 10-15 minute weight workout most days. It isn't much, but at my last mammogram the radiologist commented on my pecs. Gee. Not bad for a fat old lady.

Once a week I take a Pilates class. It does wonders for back pain and sciatica (which, although it doesn't feel like it, is back pain, I guess).

What are you doing?

I made the mistake of joining a gym last year. I had the best of intentions, but it's been a complete waste of money. I've come to the conclusion I hate treadmills and stationary bikes. Furthermore, there's never anyone there to talk to, so it's usually just me on a machine staring at my sweaty, ugly mug in a mirror while walking (or riding) to nowhere. I lose interest after about 3 minutes and start looking at my watch thinking "am I done yet?"

I'm really considering getting a bike come spring, though. I used to love biking when I was younger and there are a number of good bike paths around the area where I live. I could see myself doing it.

Now this is a discussion that I can get behind.

When I had little kids at home, I took exercise classes locally. When it began to add up to too much $$$, i bought a bike and did exercise videos at home.

One day, I just decided to join a low-cost gym near my office. I liked the classes very much but had a disagreement with management and left for a high-end club.

The classes just weren't as good at the new place, and the people weren't nice either. And I never really liked doing machines anyway. Just as I began to get bored with spinning and lifting weights ...

I found out, via FB, that my favorite instructor from gym #1 had gone out on his own, and that his classes were a short bus ride away from me ...

So I'm transferring my existing gym membership to my son (or I might sell it); I only have a few months left on the contract anyway - and I signed up for my instructor's deal for unlimited classes.

Thanks for asking!

During the winter I have the recumbent bike. It folds up and is very easy to set up. I pop a movie into the DVD player and ride until I can't. I also have a set of dumbells, so I can do a little strength training and stretching...everything I learned at Cardiac Rehab.

I have had to do some adjustments to movement due to progressive arthritis in my my shoulders...dang!

As soon as the weather permits, I will be riding my bike, again. Hopefully this year I won't fall off and break anything else...

I walk 30 to 45 minutes daily. With bad weather, I love my recumbent bike/rowing machine, turn on the TV, and have at it.

Steve Kroll said:
I made the mistake of joining a gym last year. I had the best of intentions, but it's been a complete waste of money. I've come to the conclusion I hate treadmills and stationary bikes. Furthermore, there's never anyone there to talk to, so it's usually just me on a machine staring at my sweaty, ugly mug in a mirror while walking (or riding) to nowhere. I lose interest after about 3 minutes and start looking at my watch thinking "am I done yet?"

I'm really considering getting a bike come spring, though. I used to love biking when I was younger and there are a number of good bike paths around the area where I live. I could see myself doing it.

I recommend the bike. We are hoping the weather let's us get a ride in this weekend. I agree that a stationary bike is boring. I absolutely love riding out and about!

I also have fun with the Wii fit. It is new to me so still fun.

I have an acre of heavily wooded property to keep up. That involves daily limb gathering and lots of mowing, trimming and weed eating. Between that and my constant Isometric exercises and Karate practicing, I get as much exercise as I can stand.

Back
Top Bottom