WSJ: Diners Are Finding $13 Burgers Hard to Swallow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
https://www.wsj.com/articles/diners-are-finding-13-burgers-hard-to-swallow-1496241667

First piece of article:

The once-humble hamburger has gotten too fancy for its own good.

As the number of outlets serving “better” burgers—featuring nontraditional toppings and artisan buns—skyrocketed over the past decade, so has the average burger tab, turning some customers off.

Brian Cockerline, a 20-year-old Rutgers University student, used to go to Five Guys for a burger once a week in South Plainfield, N.J. With fries and a drink, his tab was around $13. Now, he is cooking burgers at home instead.

“I like Five Guys but I can buy ground beef and one onion and get pretty close to the same burger for half the cost,” says Mr. Cockerline, who rarely goes to Five Guys anymore. “A hamburger, to me, is not a luxury,” he said. Five Guys declined to comment.

$13.00 for a burger from a chain? Not a chance. At home you can control the "beef", the seasonings and what you grill it over! We no longer do "chain" burgers or sliders. Burgers are beef! You can pretend that burgers are made with anything but beef, but that just does not cut it!;)

With one exception, I have not eaten a 'hamburger' in a fast food joint in about 20 years!

The exception is while traveling once, we stopped at an A & W.
I got an "Uncle Burger" mine had cheese and bacon, it was so tender, had the freshest tomatoes 'n lettuce I ever saw and was absolutely delish! $8.99 (at the time, because of the extra's).

We were there before noon, maybe that's why everything was so fresh. We were hungry from traveling but we could not stop talking about it for an hour after. :LOL: It was perfect! :yum:

I've since realized that the beef was/is sirloin, does that make a difference? Maybe, I know I made some kabobs with some ground beef tenderloin - the bits and pieces that are trimmed off the filet mignons. And yup!... those were really tender too. Guess that's the answer.

Well, Craig shouldn't have written we because I love Char-Hut burgers. You watch them make them right in front of you and see the toppings you pick. They aren't quite as expensive as Five Guys, but are more than BK, Wendy's, Micky D's. Unfortunately for the rest of you, they are a very small local chain.

I've had Five Guys once when traveling and it was a really good burger, but was the most expensive burger I've ever had. Even cost more than when Craig and I found some wagyu ground beef and made burgers at home. There is another chain called Backyard Burgers, which is mostly in TN, GA, MS though they do appear to be spreading out, that had really good burgers last time I ate at 1, which was a couple of years ago. They were mid range price back then.

Last edited:
Just like steak, burgers are one of those things I rarely order in a restaurant. I can make them just as good, if not better, at home. When I eat out, I'd rather go someplace that serves cuisine that isn't easy or convenient to duplicate in one's own kitchen.

$13 will buy about 3 lbs of ground beef around here. Depending on how big you like them, that'll net you anywhere from 6-12 burgers. I wouldn't pay $13 for a single burger, unless there was something truly unique or memorable about it.

Burgers are a current food trend. There seems to be a competition over who can create the most bizarre or mountain-high burger then put a fried egg on it and stab it with a knife. Like any other food trend, prices go through the roof.

...and another thing, why would you pay EXTRA! for Kobe beef burgers? It's a beautiful thing as a steak but when it's all ground up, it's just fatty ground beef.

Last time we were at the Atlanta airport, there was a 5 Guys near our gate. The line was huge. The smell was overpowering. I ate at one once in MPLS, didn't really see what the big deal was, though my brother and his family love them.

Closest we get to "gourmet" burgers is Hardees Little Thick Burgers. Generally I prefer Chez Dawg burgers.

And I agree with Andy about the Kobe.

Last edited:
I hate Five Guys. Their burgers are tasteless and greasy and their fries are bland, too.

I love In and Out Burger but they don't have any out here.

The only chain burger place that I'll order from is Shake Shack, although they have gone downhill since they opened.

We have a lot of non-chain local burger joints, mostly griddled flat patties, which are very good. I'll go to them once in awhile.

A $13 burger on a higher end restaurant menu is par for the course, though.

Well, I just suddenly remembered another fantastic hamburger I had while visiting with my sister. We were pool side (WPBPC) and the smell was amazing. I couldn't stop talking about it.

But... that being said, I agree with several posters here. I don't "go out" for burgers. When traveling, not close to home or out of necessity due to work load, sure, of course! That's what fast food joints are for! But a gourmet meal? WTF! (which, by the way, means... "who's the fool!")

If I am going out for supper/dinner (which ever you call it) and paying premium $$ then I am going to order something too complicated or difficult technique or something about it that I would not normally or even be able to make at home!

My other reason for eating out is to try new foods to see what they taste like before I try them at home... :LOL: so I know if I have even come close to making them like they are supposed to be! :ROFLMAO:

I hate Five Guys. Their burgers are tasteless and greasy and their fries are bland, too.

I love In and Out Burger but they don't have any out here.

Five Guys got voted best burger chain in the USA, quality wise. $13 for a cheeseburger and fries and a shake is a bit rich for me.

Last edited:
Five Guys got voted best burger chain in the USA, quality wise. $13 for a cheeseburger and fries and a shake is a bit rich for me.

I'm with Jen. My one visit to Five Guys was not a great experience. If they are the best burger chain in the USA, we have some serious food issues.

On travel tours, with the younger set ( high school & university aged students) from The U.K. and The U.S.A., a group requested a "Hamburger" ..

Okay, no problem.

In the historic district, there is a tiny place with an open air terrace on a car free Street, and it is called VIVA.

The menú has a Vegetarian Burger and Beef Burgers with a variety of toppings to suit all tastes ..

The Burger with a side of French Fries or Patatas Bravas ( cube shaped fried potatoes with a spicy smoked paprika sauce or ali oli ) and a beverage, a glass of wine or beer or non alcholic beverage costs:

20 Euros which is approximately: $ 20.00 USD ..

My view: TOO TOO PRICEY ..

Interesting post.
Thanks for posting.
Have a nice weekend.

Last edited:
There are two places I can think of where I would spend more than $8 for a burger, because they include a fun experience as well as good food - our local 80/20 Burger Bar and one of Michael Symon's restaurants, where we are hoping to go later this summer.

Heres the menu at our local place. The food is imaginative and delicious. We've been there for dinner a few times and brunch a couple times. :yum:

http://www.8020burgerbar.com/menu/

I love burgers. Anything from McDonald's, Carl's Jr, to Red Robin. Best burger I've had is from a small grocery deli just south of here. They have awesome home made chicken strips as well.

But 5 guys is just OK to me. I took my kid there a while back and we enjoyed it, but when it is like 40 bucks for two burger baskets and drinks, uhm, no thanks.

Have you ever had an Ollie burger, either at Lums or Ollies Trolly? I know they are gone but I've made the copy cat version. I really like them, Karen not so much. I think it is the only burger that gets marinaded.:yum:

There are two places I can think of where I would spend more than $8 for a burger, because they include a fun experience as well as good food - our local 80/20 Burger Bar and one of Michael Symon's restaurants, where we are hoping to go later this summer.

Heres the menu at our local place. The food is imaginative and delicious. We've been there for dinner a few times and brunch a couple times. :yum:

Menu — 80/20 Burger Bar

Wow! That menu would entice me to spend a couple of $'s there too, GG!

Has anyone eaten at either one of Michael Symon's restaurants or Bobby Flay's? I'm guessing the prices would be sort of too rich for me but is the food better than?

Have you ever had an Ollie burger, either at Lums or Ollies Trolly? I know they are gone but I've made the copy cat version. I really like them, Karen not so much. I think it is the only burger that gets marinaded.:yum:

OMG! Lums!! :-p

I haven't thought about that place for 40 years!

Has anyone eaten at either one of Michael Symon's restaurants or Bobby Flay's?

I'm generally a Bobby Flay restaurant fan. I've been to most of them and thought they were excellent.

The definite exception being his Burger Bar. Very disappointing. I think they are in trouble financially as they are having to close some.

I'm generally a Bobby Flay restaurant fan. I've been to most of them and thought they were excellent.

The definite exception being his Burger Bar. Very disappointing. I think they are in trouble financially as they are having to close some.

There was a Bobby's Burger Palace in the Burlington Mall. We went there a couple of times for a quick lunch. The burgers we ok, the fries were good. I was looking them up yesterday and they're gone. Burlington is no longer listed as a location on their website or on the mall's website.

Back
Top Bottom