You can grow a pineapple

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have grown pineapples several times and they are delicious. I guess Florida weather is good for growing them because I don't go through all those steps. I will typically just cut the top with about an inch of fruit (which you wouldn't eat that part anyway). Lay it on the counter where air can get to the cut part for about 2 days and then plant it. I don't take the fruit off or go through all those other steps BUT this is what I do when planting outside instead of in a pot. Don't know what would happen if I planted it in a pot without removing the fruit. It does seem to take a LONG time when you are waiting for that delicious fruit to appear.....almost like a watched pot never boils. :)

Icy, if your temps can do it, I'm sure mine can too! I really want to start one with the deliciously sweet golden pineapples we've been getting lately. I think I'll try it in a large pot, as I'm still trying to find some ground space for a seedless lime I picked up last week.

Middie - do try! Why not?

It is easy to do and if there is leftover pineapple it IS delicious frozen. I froze a couple of pineapples and when everybody else was getting a bowl of ice cream, I would grab a couple of frozen chunks. It amazingly took care of my sweet tooth and I didn't miss my favorite which is ice cream. :)

leftover pineapple? Never heard of it:LOL:
Actually, I can't eat it fresh (reaction), so I do one of two things: grill the spears or make pineapple pie, both of which are fabulous!

I have got to try it grilled. Have heard other people raving about it and I almost fixed chicken wrapped in bacon with pineapple on the grill, but with fire danger so high I ended up making them in the oven. I have also NEVER heard of pineapple pie. Sounds yummy but SWEET, SWEET, SWEET.

Psst Jkath, can you share the recipe? Or is it already posted some place?

IcyMist said:
I have also NEVER heard of pineapple pie. Sounds yummy but SWEET, SWEET, SWEET.

Psst Jkath, can you share the recipe? Or is it already posted some place?

Yes please! Pineapple pie sounds great!

I was tempted to grow a pineapple (I also belong to a fruit gardeners forum) but decided it was too much work for one fruit and a battle against my European temps! I have heard people in UK do it though, indoors in pots through colder weather.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom