Your House Is On Fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
You can only save one book. Which will it be?

Mine would be my King James Authorised Version of the Bible. Not for any religious reasons but because it was a birthday gift for my 10th birthday from my maternal grandmother. I was 3 years younger than her other grandchildren because she said I loved books and took great care of them.

I loved the language of the King James version. None of the subsequent versions have held a candle to it.

My house is on fire and I want to save a book?! :ohmy:
What is this, Farenheit 451? :LOL:

Yeah, a book would not be my first thought. Definitely my laptop. It contains photos and videos as well as my writings, insurance information, years of emails, tax returns, etc.

Katie, just wanted to ask, do you have a backup of your laptop? I use Backblaze.com on the recommendation of a friend who has 15 years of web and graphic design work on her computer.

I just looked around my office, and realized I don't have a single paper book anywhere. Or much paper at all, for that matter. Most everything I have these days is in digital format. ;)

I would not be grabbing a book. Hello? A book? I would grab my dog, and then if I could grab s/thing else, I would grab the painting(s) a friend did of my dog. Everything of value (jewelry, etc.) is in the safe deposit box at the bank. Everything else could be replaced--not with the memories, but could be replaced.

Still thinking. :)

A book wouldn't be the first thing I'd think of----- an original pastel by a famous artist would probably be my first ''save", if I could heft it. (It's large)

But perhaps the OP doesn't mean what is the first THING you would save---- just the first BOOK saved after the cat and dog were thrown out the window? Oh, the window on the first floor.

So---- I'm still thinking. :) It would have to be a book that I couldn't replace sometime.

I was thinking my personal recipe book, but then remembered that I have all those recipes in Google Drive.

Probably the Betty Crocker binder cookbook that my nana bought me when I was around 10, I read that front to back and made numerous recipes from it. I could be replaced, but it wouldn't be the one my nana bought me!

If I still had it, the personally signed "Baking With Julia". It was a First Edition. I had just purchased the book at Borders and was reading it outside as I was walking. Wasn't looking up and bumped into a person. It was Julia herself. I was full of apologies. She was on her way into Borders for a Book Signing. She was gracious enough to offer to sign my book right there on the sidewalk and wrote "To Adele, who loves to read. She has excellent taste in her selection of books. Julia Child. Then she added the date." Unfortunately, I had to downsize and most of my books went with a lot of other stuff. Hers was one of them. :angel:

I just looked around my office, and realized I don't have a single paper book anywhere. Or much paper at all, for that matter. Most everything I have these days is in digital format. ;)

Good for you. No sense contributing to the fire :cool:

Of course everyone has all the computer stuff backed up twice---- one of them in a safe deposit box away from the fire at the bank.

One Book? That is a tough question. I have many out of print books and first editions. I think I would die of smoke inhalation while trying to decide.

I guess it would have to be, Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury. Not only is it a first edition, it is signed by the Author AND I haven't finished memorizing it...yet.

I wouldn't be thinking books. I would grab the cat and shove him in the carrier and make sure my husband was getting out too. If I had more time, I would grab the laptop.

When the apartment building next to the one I lived in caught fire, I grabbed an external hard disk and put on my expensive boots.

Actually, I think I would be trying to save as much of my wine collection as possible. Books are replaceable. A lot of that wine isn't.

Oh, and yes. My wife and the puppies would be first on the list. :angel:

Yeah, a book would not be my first thought. Definitely my laptop. It contains photos and videos as well as my writings, insurance information, years of emails, tax returns, etc.

Katie, just wanted to ask, do you have a backup of your laptop? I use Backblaze.com on the recommendation of a friend who has 15 years of web and graphic design work on her computer.
Nope. The reason you can only save one book is because you have a box under your arm with all those things in it.

Play nice - this is about the one book you would save.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom