Am I Rude?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was fussed at in another place because I sign my posts. I didn't know this was rude!

Is this better? Have I offended anyone here?
Geez Cat, "rude" and you should not be in the same sentence! By saying "..in another place" I'm guessing it wasn't here at DC. At least I hope not. If that person called you out in a thread, I hope a moderator let them know it wasn't their place to correct people in threads. If it was in a personal message, and that person continues to send unwanted PMs, you might want to let the mods in that forum know there is a problem.

You're a sweetie - I don't think you know how to be rude. ;)

Oh no! It was not here! It was in a thread at a political forum where I spoke of a cultural difference. The poster said I was rude to sign my posts, because there is my name and avatar there just like it is here and he said I was arrogant also. Two moderators and the site administrator jumped on him and they gave him infraction points, which isn't good.

It made me think, however. I was worried if any of you thought I was rude or arrogant and so I asked. It's much better to ask rather than to continue to do something which upsets people, yes?

There was probably another problem there. I'm a kind of favorite there and as here, some have taken me within their wings (is this saying right?) like you all have and some people don't like it. I was called a troll and a sock there also, but I stood up for myself.

That place is not like here, where everyone is so kind and helpful and nice. There are some meanies over there, but I've learned to ignore the insults. I've retaliated sometimes with humor. I remind them of from where I came and if they aren't nice, I'll have my friend Vlad visit them. Ha!

But it's a good place to learn of politics and government and all those issues, and to see how people feel about these issues. I have very many reputation points and thanks of my posts, and I'm learning about politics, and I tell them of Romanian politics also, for some have become interested since the uprising in Ukraine.

I'm so glad we don't speak of politics here! I love how everyone here is so kind. My cooking has definitely improved immensely and my friends and family like it. I haven't poisoned anyone yet, and I've never cooked anything at least my dog wouldn't eat.

I'm so happy to be here. I'm very grateful for all of you and for this website.

With love,
~Cat

Oh no! It was not here! It was in a thread at a political forum where I spoke of a cultural difference...
There ya go then! I used to participate in a very active sports/politics/everything forum based back in my hometown. Then the sponsor decided to end it, someone else started one to "replace" it, and without real moderators the place went in the dumps really quick. Now there are just a couple people left who go around telling each other how right they are about their views now that they've chased everyone else away from that forum. DC is definitely a kinder and gentler forum. :heart:

Oh that doesn't sound very nice!

I know I love to be here. This is my treasure to my day.

With love,
~Cat

OK. lets be honest, you are not rude! You are a loving contributor to this forum. We, know who you are and respect your thoughts and cooking. If someone out there thinks or is offensive to you or your posts, well they can go to hell! Please do not delete! With Lov , Joey

Last edited:
You all are so nice! I'm glad signing my posts isn't rude here.

I can be rude. I slapped a cab driver once because he touched my butt.

With love,
~Cat

You all are so nice! I'm glad signing my posts isn't rude here.

I can be rude. I slapped a cab driver once because he touched my butt.

With love,
~Cat

That wasn't rude, the cabbie was the rude one. If you ever visit Rome, stay away from farm restaurants in Tivoli! There is a tendency for the strolling minstrels to pinch women's butts.:ohmy: All in good fun.

Ha! I have been to Rome, but my butt remained untouched so I didn't have to slap anyone!

With love,
~Cat

I have hit men for grabbing my crotch - with my purse, with an umbrella, and kicked them wearing wooden shoes. I didn't think I was rude. They were.

I don't think you are rude or arrogant. You do speak in a rather formal manner (not a lot of slang, few contractions, very proper grammar) and some people might see that as stuffy, stand-offish, or arrogant, but that's a fault of our culture. Unfortunately you find the occasional twit who intentionally speaks in a very formal manner to sound smarter or better than others. And there are girls who will end an argument or snotty comment with a flippant "love you" type remark. With only written words to go on, no voice inflection or body language, people who aren't paying attention could mistake you for one of those types. Even speaking in person some people could get that impression.

However anyone who is paying attention will notice that's not who you are. They'll notice the content of your text (or words) isn't arrogant or rude. They will recognize that English isn't your first language, so it makes sense that it would be stripped of slang and regional speach patterns, that it would be a little text book. They'll notice you're one of the first people to offer encouragment and support to people who are struggling with something, that you offer sympathy and compassion to people who are hurting. They'll notice you offer kind words and a friendly attitude to anyone willing to talk to you.

My recommendation is, if you believe the other person has actually mistaken what you've said as rude or arrogant, appologize and explain. Something like, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude. English isn't my first language so sometimes I sound a little formal," could work well with people who have misunderstood you. You are giving people an opportunity to see that you're actually a really nice person.

Then the person will either accept it or not. If they accept it, you got the chance to broaden someone's view a little and maybe make them think twice before making future accusations of people. You may even make a new friend who one day will laugh and say, "Remember when I was a tool and thought you were rude? I'm glad we got that cleared up." If they don't accept your apology, oh well, you were reasonable (more than really), they weren't, move on and don't let it bother you.

Just remember that you aren't apologizing because you are wrong,you are doing it as a tactic to make others re-evaluate their perception of you. If the person is just being mean, trying to bully you in some way, or just looking for a confrontation, skip this tactic and defend yourself. Those people aren't mistaken, they are trying to bring you down and you have every right to stand up to them.

Also remember there are some people who just want to cause trouble. They are looking to get people riled up and they don't actually care who the other person is. Those are the aformentioned trolls and it's best to ignore them. They're like all other pests, provide a food source and it gives them a reason to come back. You can try to get rid of them yourself but a lot of times it's best to let the exterminators (moderators) deal with them.

Sincerely,
Chief Longwind's daughter (because I'm pretty sure this is longer than his reply to the question)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom