Are We Really the Nicest, Friendliest, etc.?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What makes this forum work, in my opinion, is the ethos and atmosphere created by the site helpers and the senior members. For which, many thanks.

TATTRAT said:
To the frank part, no harm intended, but Craigslist food forum is, by far, the most horrible, negative, nasty, negative, and a few explitives I will spare, food related site I have EVER encountered.
I couldn't agree more TATTRAT! That forum is evil. People post innocent questions like "how do you cook xyz" and the responses they get are "what are you, stupid???". It is just a nasty place.

I belong to a few other (non-food) forums and none have the feeling that DC has. There is a photography forum that I belong to that I find very helpful and they people there are very friendly. That site does not have the same community feeling that this site does though. It is a great site, but they do not feel like family.

DC is a family, even if 99% of us have never met in person. We truly love getting and welcoming new members (something that most other sites don't seem to like very much) and most importantly we respect each other. We know that we can have disagreements, but do it in an adult way.

The reason this site is the best one on the web (I truly believe we are) is because of it's members. We have a very special group of people from the members who have been hear for years to the ones who just joined this week.

Like GB and other said, it depends on the people. Most people here are pretty even keeled and amicable which keeps things in order so the admins and mods don't really have to step in that often and lock threads or delete posts.

I'm a member of other forums (chef, cars, and sports) and what happens on those forums depends on the mods. If the mods are active and address things right away, things stay cool. I've been on forums where the mods basically did nothing and there was a lot of flaming and other things and the forums just weren't fun to be around anymore.

Banana Brain said:
Wouldn't it be a bit hard to fight on a cooking forum? I mean, a serious fight. We never talk about anything people get offended or defensive about, like on a politics forum or even a movie forum.

Hey, I have a cheddar cheese issue with you Banana, rofl!

And I am a memeber of a cat forum which is also friendly but I have to block out the fact that many of the memer of that forum are also members of an other forum where lawyers and police have got involved it gets so nasty! They are talking about CATS for goodness sakes *sigh and shake head* Oh, and the fruit growers one I am on, but rarely visit, wow, those people can get quite sensitive about the pH of water in different areas and potting mediums, although the right people there are also really helpful.

Yes, it is nice here. I think the whole karma thing is a nice touch too. I love giving karma. And unlike the other forums I am a member of my friends and family benefit from this one too. It does seem to be VERY well moderated though, that is a tremendous help. Moderators make or break a site really.

BlueCat said:
There do seem to be an "old guard" here who know each other very intimately, but they are pretty nice to everyone for the most part. I still avoid some topics that seem to be only for them, but that's going to happen from time to time.

BC

I agree with you about the "old guard" for the most part. Some people seem like they know each other fairly well.

The thing is - unlike High School & other groups - they seem to welcome new members & don't discourage anyone from becoming one of "the old guard", right along with them! :) The whole DC group is very encouraging, let's say! I know that I'm very comfortable here.

Corinne

I’ve also been here only a few days, and it seems a wonder that I never found it before (I finally thought to Google the magic words “discuss cooking”)! I was a long-time member at Compuserve Cooks Online, which has been around a long time. You can go there now to read – and what a wealth of great reading and recipes - but of course you can’t post unless you pay for the CS membership.

I also enjoyed the “AskJeeves” cooking section time back when anybody could post answers to the questions, and it was great fun until they instituted a rating system in which everyone could give stars (or whatever it was) but also anyone could give negative ratings, and it was just silly. I remember one ENDless squabble there about whether condensed milk is the same as evaporated or whether condensed milk always means sweetened condensed milk. It got ugly. Eventually there were fully as many hateful posts about whatever "so-n-so" brought down someone’s ranking and I’m sure that’s why it was dismantled.

I’ve also enjoyed a much smaller board for a number of years… but it’s just petering out and starting to get a lot of spam posted from lack of attention.

So, YES – this is the BEST (at least this week!) – uhm --- that WAS a joke about the newbies having to do the mopping up, right?:LOL:

Last edited:
I have been to several other forums, but DC is the one which has become dear to my heart and to which I participate regularly.

There are many other nice and civil forums around. Many of more technical forums, like for certain softwares are there for the users to assist each other when they don't find the answers for their problems in their manuals and faq sections. There people stick pretty much to the technical side, discussion on the particular problems posed, period. I don't see much camaraderie growing in this sort of forum, even though people remain helpful to each other when the occasion arises.
And also there are some forums whose people are nice enough but decidedly lack in stimulating dialogue or idea exchange.

I think what this forum makes special, besides the fact that everyone are so nice and civil are, firstly the ability of the members to create/maintain quality conversations with their own ideas, wit and opinion, yet always accompanied by due respect and sensibility. Then there is this magical atmosphere that tugs at your heart, the way draw each members together and makes you honestly care about each other. This, you very seldom find among other internet forums.

Last edited:
Hey, most of the time we are talking about food...What's not to like or fight about. Seriously, I like it here because we stay away from politics and controversial issues. There is a friendly atmosphere here and I think it attracts friendly people. What ever the reason, I'm glad I found DC!

I think that this is one of the nicest forums that I've ever joined and the fact that there are no "food fights" going on. As mentioned before that's due to our active, caring moderators----I also love the pictures and the variety of quotes that go with each poster---just wished that I was more computer literate to "jazz" mine up as well. Anyway, there aren't many sites that I rave about to others and this one definitely is.

suzyQ3 said:
I frequented a political message board that became, before it disappeared, almost consumed by trolls and by those who seemed more interested in personal attacks than in discussion. We have developed a new site that so far seems more above board. Neither site, though, by almost unanimous agreement, has what you call "moderators," which I assume are those who have the ability to censor. Perhaps most members of a politically based forum feel that their freedom to express themselves is paramount.

In any case, I have been so impressed and pleased with this site...for all of my one week or so of membership. :rolleyes: What seemed like a lot of overwhelming bells and whistles have come in very handy. I couldn't believe that I could edit my own comment after posting it and discovering that I made a dumb mistake.

My only slight, truly slight, discomfort is something that just can't be helped: Joining an existing and successful forum in which people have already bonded and have formed friendships can make one feel a bit like an outsider. As a well-known contributor on the political site I mentioned, I used to hear that "complaint" from newbies. They would refer to us regulars as a clique. I have an inkling now of how they felt. It shall pass.

Please don't feel this way!! I learned to just keep talking{typing}, and yes, I'm the same way in person after getting over the initial shyness, and then, LOOK OUT!! I can't seem to shut up:LOL:
You'll start remember things about the ones that are here daily and get just as comfortable as we are:) .

I also like it here because of the way we can talk to each other and not be afraid of weirdos coming in. We have such a wonderful group of admins that watch out for us all here. I've been to a couple of other places and they're just not nice at all!!

texasgirl said:
Please don't feel this way!! I learned to just keep talking{typing}, and yes, I'm the same way in person after getting over the initial shyness, and then, LOOK OUT!! I can't seem to shut up:LOL:
You'll start remember things about the ones that are here daily and get just as comfortable as we are:) .

I also like it here because of the way we can talk to each other and not be afraid of weirdos coming in. We have such a wonderful group of admins that watch out for us all here. I've been to a couple of other places and they're just not nice at all!!

Thanks. I really believe that that slight discomfort I mentioned is just a natural reaction to any existing or established group. I was fortunate to attend the same school system up until college, but I can definitely remember that look on the new kid in class. Same thing. You hit the nail on the head, though. It really is mostly up to the new kid to figure out the way the group works and how best to fit in.

But as to your "I also like it here because of the way we can talk to each other and not be afraid of weirdos coming in," well, um, no promises there. :ROFLMAO:

BlueCat said:
There do seem to be an "old guard" here who know each other very intimately, but they are pretty nice to everyone for the most part. I still avoid some topics that seem to be only for them, but that's going to happen from time to time.

BC

please, please do not avoid any topics at all. especially ones for the old guard (is that another nickname for mudbug? lol, just kidding sis...:cool: )

seriously, while i really and truely appreciate the friends that i have made here, there's always room for another view, another voice.

also, please do not make the mistake that has doomed so many forums. that is assuming the regular contributors are not interested in a newbie's point of view. i am as willing to share/debate/joke around with all members, new and old alike, even canadians, as i am with the ones that i have become personally connected with.

you won't know you have a friend if you keep yer yap shut. after all, this is a communication device. the more you put into it, the more you'll get out. i promise. (if not, see alix... she underwrites the dc guarantee of friendship)

and to stay on topic and answer the question: yes, this is the best foodie site around. i visit but rarely contribute to other sites, mostly because of time restrictions. but also because i do not feel welcome. not for lack of trying to make friends and inject a little fun, and maybe a few recipes or tips, but a few sites either just ignore you, or even get nasty. a few are full of such snobs that think they only dine in the finest places, and are always greeted personally by the chef. gimme a break. i'd bet they put their pants on one leg at a time.

some of you may know me, and that i'm not exactly a wallflower, so if the nasties are around, they come out early and often.

the regulars at the epicurious chat room actually told me that i didn't fit in because i didn't understand that it is run like a small town bar, and i didn't show enough respect to the locals. small town bar? i guess the term "world wide web" doesn't mean anything to them.

well, they can keep their small town bar, and smaller minds. i'm here to stay.

Last edited:
Anyone who here who has the slightest interaction with you Mr. Buckytom is very glad -"you're here to stay"!!

I have to agree that this place is the best. After being on the Food Network boards & the shutting down, I joined a few other cooking sites, DC being one of them, & this is where I stayed. I didn't like the "feel" of the others. DC is like that old pair of jeans that fit just right. I was away from here for a while & when I came back, it was like comming home after being on an extended vacation. Ya know, some things around town had changed & new neighbors moved in but that makes it even better! DC has heart & I think that's because we all put in a little bit of ours to make this place so special.

Oh ya! This is the friendliest forum without a shadow of doubt! My friend was reading my private messages and was quite surprised to see that the admins actually reply! and that too with smileys!! He said the people on his forum are not at all like that. I'm so proud to be a part of this forum :D

Last edited:
suzyQ3 said:
But as to your "I also like it here because of the way we can talk to each other and not be afraid of weirdos coming in," well, um, no promises there. :ROFLMAO:

Oh thank goodness! I thought I was the only one!:LOL:

BTW, I love when newbies come in! I feel like I am so fortunate that I get to personally welcome each and every one when they first join. I've said to many of them what my sentiments are about this forum:

Discuss Cooking is the family that has daily reuinons.

And I mean that!

DC has a policy. The moderators 'friendly but firmly' ensure policy is adhered to (e.g. manners) and lead by example. It is done without much being said, but everybody seems to know that there is 'Law and Order' at DC.

Result is one of the really friendly sites on the web, flame free, welcoming and helpful. There most certainly are a lot of others.

buckytom said:
please, please do not avoid any topics at all. especially ones for the old guard (is that another nickname for mudbug? lol, just kidding sis...:cool: )

**** has frozen over. I have become "the old guard" on the internet, of all places.

For you newbies, buckytom is my cyber younger brother, who I occasionally have to bop over the head (but it is done with love) to keep him in line. He keeps me in stitches, mainly. And he has a poetry about him when he gets going. And he has some good recipes too. We'll get to know you, too - just keep posting and nudge your chair in a little closer to the table (otherwise bucky will steal all the brownies PA and Alix baked!)

Back
Top Bottom