"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 605
Blinking graphics

I checked the Community Rules, and I didn't see anything about the blinking graphics that some posters include in their comments.

Are these allowed? I ask because many sites prohibit them. While some find them entertaining, others find them very annoying. But more important, they can trigger migraines and seizures in those who are vulnerable to such disorders.

suzyQ3 is offline  
Old 01-18-2009, 02:12 PM   #2
Master Chef
 
texasgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 9,497
Yes, we can use animated graphics.
texasgirl is offline  
Old 01-18-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 605
Then I think the issue should be revisited. Since this is, after all, a site that is very attuned to its users and protective of their feelings, I should think that anything that is known to cause discomfort and even potential serious health problems would be even more of a priority.
suzyQ3 is offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
Certifiable Executive Chef
 
Janet H's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 3,783
SuzyQ3, if you use Firefox as your browser, you can hit the escape key at the beginning of your visit here and animated gifs in posts should be disabled.
Janet H is offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
Head Chef
 
DramaQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 1,347
I love the blinking graphics and find them not only funny, but entertaining. I guess I'm easily entertained and difficult to annoy.
Oops, you're not talking about moving emoticons are you?

Come to think of it, I read a couple of blogsites that use blinking and flashing backgrounds, and yes they are annoying and hard to read without being distracted.
__________________
Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
DramaQueen is offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: N.E., Ohio
Posts: 1,644
Whatever you all decide is fine with me; just please let us all know what is decided. Stacy just taught me how to post pictures and I have been having fun doing so ever since but I don't wish to cause people health issues. Thanks.
PieSusan is offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #7
Master Chef
 
texasgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 9,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3 View Post
Then I think the issue should be revisited. Since this is, after all, a site that is very attuned to its users and protective of their feelings, I should think that anything that is known to cause discomfort and even potential serious health problems would be even more of a priority.
why would someone that is hardly ever here and not for very long, want to "revisit" something that we have done for years? We use them, but, not to excess. they are used for birthdays and such.
texasgirl is offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
I love the blinking graphics and find them not only funny, but entertaining. I guess I'm easily entertained and difficult to annoy.
Oops, you're not talking about moving emoticons are you?

Come to think of it, I read a couple of blogsites that use blinking and flashing backgrounds, and yes they are annoying and hard to read without being distracted.
No, I am not talking about emoticons, DramaQueen; I am talking about the blinking pictures that some people include in their posts.
suzyQ3 is offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 08:45 PM   #9
Master Chef
 
texasgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 9,497
Like this
texasgirl is offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 08:47 PM   #10
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,230
LOL. Suzy, Andy will see this thread eventually, but I really don't think they are used often enough here to matter. Its up to Andy.
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 08:50 PM   #11
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post
why would someone that is hardly ever here and not for very long, want to "revisit" something that we have done for years? We use them, but, not to excess. they are used for birthdays and such.
Not that I really have to explain my visiting/posting history, but I'm quite sure that I just recently commented that although I don't post that frequently, I do visit and READ the threads regularly, and by "regularly," I mean daily.

You included a very large, very blinking graphic on the Gossip thread, so no, they are not just used for birthdays.

If the majority of people like them and they don't cause anyone adverse effects, then fine. I don't think either my suggestion to consider the wisdom of continuing to allow them or the information regarding the possible problems is unwarranted, but I do think the personal and defensive tone in this reply of yours most certainly is just that.
suzyQ3 is offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #12
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Collier County, Fl.
Posts: 4,198
Yesterday I was the 1st post after SuzyQ's, but for some reason I don't see it now.
I don't understand how they could produce migraines or siezures, but didn't see that in the original post either.
Just that it could cause "medical problems".
But even still, given the medical specifics, I can't imagine unless you stare at them for excessive time that would happen. I have had migranes since age 11 and don't have that problem.
I use "blinking graphics" and love when others do too.
I like that it's an option for all of us and agree with TG!
I have seen this happen on one other site and left it.
Since no one was made aware of someone's (MINORITY) issue by the mods and admins, effected the majority, after the fact.
So I'm also thankful that here, it's open to ALL members to comment.
quicksilver is offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 08:57 PM   #13
Head Chef
 
DramaQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post
Like this
Awww come on, this is gorgeous. When I said some blinking graphics are annoying, I'm talking about trying to read someone's blog while the entire background is dancing around and flashing like a spastic neon sign. The rose is in no way the same thing. I like it. Why is this affecting you so much?
__________________
Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
DramaQueen is offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 08:58 PM   #14
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: N.E., Ohio
Posts: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post
Like this
Gosh that is beautiful, Stacy! It makes me smile. It would be a sad thing for someone to get sick from something so amazing!
PieSusan is offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 08:59 PM   #15
Master Chef
 
texasgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 9,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3 View Post
Not that I really have to explain my visiting/posting history, but I'm quite sure that I just recently commented that although I don't post that frequently, I do visit and READ the threads regularly, and by "regularly," I mean daily.

You included a very large, very blinking graphic on the Gossip thread, so no, they are not just used for birthdays.

If the majority of people like them and they don't cause anyone adverse effects, then fine. I don't think either my suggestion to consider the wisdom of continuing to allow them or the information regarding the possible problems is unwarranted, but I do think the personal and defensive tone in this reply of yours most certainly is just that.
And I did not say they were used only for birthdays. Whether it seems defensive or not, was not my intention, just asking why you would want to revisit something that noone that has been on here for years has had any complaints about. If you take offense to that, my apologies.
texasgirl is offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 09:00 PM   #16
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Collier County, Fl.
Posts: 4,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3 View Post
Not that I really have to explain my visiting/posting history, but I'm quite sure that I just recently commented that although I don't post that frequently, I do visit and READ the threads regularly, and by "regularly," I mean daily.

You included a very large, very blinking graphic on the Gossip thread, so no, they are not just used for birthdays.

If the majority of people like them and they don't cause anyone adverse effects, then fine. I don't think either my suggestion to consider the wisdom of continuing to allow them or the information regarding the possible problems is unwarranted, but I do think the personal and defensive tone in this reply of yours most certainly is just that.
Just read your post after posting mine. I'm glad you enjoy visiting here-daily, as you say you do. Something draws you here-good information, good people and a unique opportunity to express yourself in all manors of your personal life.
However, I disagree that we should follow other forums, like sheep. If we were all alike-WHAT"S THE POINT?
quicksilver is offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 09:01 PM   #17
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,230
Locking this down folks. Sorry, I have to run and don't have time to watch this for more comments to delete. I've done one and thats my limit for today.

Andy will see this and make his decision.
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.