"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-30-2020, 03:57 AM   #41
Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: USA
Posts: 83
ABITHIWTIDB! I said it! I used an acronym! I feel very cool, however I am exponentially cooler than my... expansive husband and... virtuous daughter!
__________________
Honored Guest~
AntHill5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:33 AM   #42
Executive Chef
 
dragnlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,983
Think people are mis-understanding and mis-using "acrynom"

ac·ro·nym ˈakrəˌnim

noun
an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word (e.g. ASCII, NASA ).

examples:-

FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation) is an initialism. AIDS is an acronym, while HIV is an initialism. URL, when pronounced as three separate letters, "U-R-L," is an initialism for Uniform Resource Locator, but many people pronounce it as "earl" or even "yurl," making it an acronym

Anthill, I'm afraid an unpronouncible initializing an entire sentence is not an acronym. but nice try
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:59 PM   #43
Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: USA
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Think people are mis-understanding and mis-using "acrynom"

ac·ro·nym ˈakrəˌnim

noun
an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word (e.g. ASCII, NASA ).

examples:-

FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation) is an initialism. AIDS is an acronym, while HIV is an initialism. URL, when pronounced as three separate letters, "U-R-L," is an initialism for Uniform Resource Locator, but many people pronounce it as "earl" or even "yurl," making it an acronym

Anthill, I'm afraid an unpronouncible initializing an entire sentence is not an acronym. but nice try
The creater of this... bizarre discussion listed it as an acronym! I have to pee!
AntHill5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:17 PM   #44
Head Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntHill5 View Post
The creater of this... bizarre discussion listed it as an acronym! I have to pee!
You are very strange. And after reading several of your posts, I believe you to be a troll. You make no sense whatsoever and your comments are ridiculous.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:21 PM   #45
Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: USA
Posts: 83
Please read the first post! It said ABITHIWTIDB A bird In The Hand Is Worth Two In The Bush! It is listed as an acronym, so I called it as it was.
AntHill5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:45 AM   #46
Executive Chef
 
dragnlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntHill5 View Post
Please read the first post! It said ABITHIWTIDB A bird In The Hand Is Worth Two In The Bush! It is listed as an acronym, so I called it as it was.
I still stand by what I said,
1. whoever listed that as an acronym was mistaken;
2. it is still unpronounceable;
3. they didn't get their letters correct.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:18 AM   #47
Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: USA
Posts: 83
I don't care! They probably user d as a representation of "da" instead of "the"! My friend uses such an expression sometimes! It's very silly!
AntHill5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.