DC Has Been Sooooo Slooooooow!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was running slow. I was playing a row of solitaire while I waited for pages to load. Faster today. Pictures are resizing properly today too.

Slow here also. But it is starting to speed up a little. I need to have Spike put in an ad blocker. :angel:

Strange. It's okay here. Has been all day. I just clicked around to various forums, and it's consistently about 2.5 second from click to loaded with AdBlocker in place.

I've been following along on this thread, but haven't had any issues myself. In fact, it's been as speedy as ever. I just ran a timer on it and most pages seem to be coming up in less than 2 seconds. The last one came up in 6/10 of a second.

Could it be ad rendering that's causing the problem? I'm using ad blocker software, so I don't see ads. On another site I frequent, they recently had an issue with ads bringing the site to a screeching halt. The pages would start to load and then just sort of stop for a minute or more when it hit an embedded ad. The page would eventually come up, but it took forever. I don't know what was done to fix it, but my assumption is they tweaked or replaced the ad software.

I haven't noticed any problems. I have AdBlocker, use Chrome, a 2 year old Dell laptop.

I use Ad Blocker Plus on Firefox and have never seen an ad on this site since. If they are still mucking things up behind the scenes, I cannot say.

I'm not a computer whiz but... I would think an advertisement or pop up blocker would use a computer's resources in order to work.
I can understand the statements made on how one never sees an ad because they use an ad blocker.
I cannot understand the statements made on how ad blockers speed up a page loading.

Anyway, sometimes a page takes a while to load and sometimes it doesn't.
And sometimes I still get that commercial trying to vocalize and sometimes I don't, but my blockers always turn it off after a few noisy words are spoken.
And sometimes I can see the Thanks button and sometimes it's a red X like I posted a pic of.
And of course I still get "compatability issue' and the page reloads every now and then.

DC is glitchy for me, too, but not to the point I would say it's slow.
Unless you are talking about the post count, lol.

This isn't to be considered as a reason but just a SWAG (Seriously Wild Assed Guess)---- but sometimes when my computer runs/loads really slow (which isn't often) I find that Windows or something else is updating 'stuff' behind the scenes. I only find out later after all is updated or loaded.

Just a SWAG.

I'm not a computer whiz but... I would think an advertisement or pop up blocker would use a computer's resources in order to work.
I can understand the statements made on how one never sees an ad because they use an ad blocker.
I cannot understand the statements made on how ad blockers speed up a page loading.

Anyway, sometimes a page takes a while to load and sometimes it doesn't.
And sometimes I still get that commercial trying to vocalize and sometimes I don't, but my blockers always turn it off after a few noisy words are spoken.
And sometimes I can see the Thanks button and sometimes it's a red X like I posted a pic of.
And of course I still get "compatability issue' and the page reloads every now and then.

DC is glitchy for me, too, but not to the point I would say it's slow.
Unless you are talking about the post count, lol.

For me with Chrome and Adblock plus, ads don't even get a chance to start, it's like they were never there.

I never get the red X on the Thanks button, and DC runs smoothly for me and never glitchy.

It's weird how people are either having issues or it's running perfectly for them.

I don't understand how an ad can not even get a chance to start. How would the ad blocker know to block it if it didn't sense it lurking when the page was opened?
But that's besides the point. This has always been a forum that either runs smoothly or doesn't. Fortunately it has been OK for me lately. Well, fortunately for me ;^)

It's weird how people are either having issues or it's running perfectly for them.
If the problem were DC then everyone would be having issues. It sounds to me like the problem lies elsewhere.

In any given part of the country DC takes a different path to get from point A to point B. Sometimes it has to go through dozens of different routers to reach its final destination. If any one of those routers is having a problem, then that can slow things down.

A good analogy is driving from your home to another city. You can map the most direct route to get to your destination, but there might be obstacles that impede your progress - road construction, for example.

If you are on a Windows computer, just go to a command prompt and type in "TRACERT DISCUSSCOOKING.COM". It will display all of the different routers the request is sent through before it finally reaches DC... AND the amount of time it takes in milliseconds for each "hop".

Here's what it looks like for me:

img_1365013_0_0dba90f7b5036f37dc8e6ec67e60079a.jpg

14 hops for me and, as you can see, it goes through Rochester MN, Chicago, and NYC.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve. I tried it with and without the VPN. It actually took fewer hops with the VPN, but with only one try each way, it's statistically invalid. Funny, it showed the name and IP number of our firewall computer the first time, but not with the VPN.

If the problem were DC then everyone would be having issues. It sounds to me like the problem lies elsewhere.

In any given part of the country DC takes a different path to get from point A to point B. Sometimes it has to go through dozens of different routers to reach its final destination. If any one of those routers is having a problem, then that can slow things down.

A good analogy is driving from your home to another city. You can map the most direct route to get to your destination, but there might be obstacles that impede your progress - road construction, for example.

If you are on a Windows computer, just go to a command prompt and type in "TRACERT DISCUSSCOOKING.COM". It will display all of the different routers the request is sent through before it finally reaches DC... AND the amount of time it takes in milliseconds for each "hop".

Here's what it looks like for me:

img_1365106_0_0dba90f7b5036f37dc8e6ec67e60079a.jpg

14 hops for me and, as you can see, it goes through Rochester MN, Chicago, and NYC.

Yes, the ISP could be the problem in some cases, often they are routed poorly which can slow stuff down because it ups the chances that you'll hit a slow server or switch somewhere.

I'd be interested in seeing people's ping times.

Back
Top Bottom