DC Has Been Sooooo Slooooooow!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, the ISP could be the problem in some cases, often they are routed poorly which can slow stuff down because it ups the chances that you'll hit a slow server or switch somewhere.

I'd be interested in seeing people's ping times.
Is there a command for that? What's the syntax?

Simply pinging DC is not the best test. That tests the round trip time of a special type of packet. Nothing more. It doesn't test processing time of the web servers and it doesn't test the time to other sites that you are making calls to when you come here (ad sites, the cdn, etc).

If there is a particular part of the loading experience that is slow you should notice that in the status bar.

It's been extremely slow here to.
I've done all the usual updates that should be done regularly.
Still hasn't helped. Some pages takes 2+ minutes to load.
It's slow to even post a reply. We wait and wait some more...

Who is your ISP?

DC has been running faster for me since the latest Firefox update that eliminated that pesky add on bar at the bottom of the page which was taking up too much valuable screen space.

https://adblockplus.org/en/firefox

Is there a reason why anyone should not have an Ad Blocker?
I'm just wondering why anyone is opposed to having it on their computer.

It's how the site operates and pays their bills. Ad clicks are income for DC.
It does not hurt to click an add now and again. Just to help support the forum.

Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

It's how the site operates and pays their bills. Ad clicks are income for DC.
It does not hurt to click an add now and again. Just to help support the forum

This is true, unfortunately. :(

Although most of the conversations on this thread are beyond my mental pay grade----I've been following it.

Then, because of a chat with a neighbor yesterday with a new computer I just thought of this as a possible (just possible) reason for some computers to be slow and others not.

The first thing I did (with some help from a friend) when I got a new laptop was to "try" to remove all the bloatware that comes with a new computer. One of the tools used was DeCrapifier. But there are others that may be better or just as good.

It took a while and I'm sure I didn't get all the 'crap' off---- but it was worth it.

Last edited:

BakeChef already posted the name of a site that does a ping test. I was wondering if there was a command line prompt to ping DC and tell me how fast the ping was.

Both pingtest.net and the site linked in your response are just pinging between wherever the server is hosted and your computer. DC isn't in there at all. It does give you an idea of how fast the service provided by your ISP is.

BakeChef already posted the name of a site that does a ping test. I was wondering if there was a command line prompt to ping DC and tell me how fast the ping was.
The command line prompt is simply PING.

For example, "ping discusscooking.com".

I agree with Frank that pinging a server isn't a very good test. All it really tells you is that there is a server there.

I'm also glad he mentioned that DC uses a CDN, or Content Delivery Network. That can play a big factor in how fast or slow a site is. CDNs essentially duplicate a web site's content (images, etc.) in various locations around the globe. In theory, you are supposed to be fed content by the server closest to your location. Perhaps the one closest to Andy is having some problems. This might also help explain why he was seeing images with red x's, while others were not having any issues.

I work in the IT department of the world's largest real estate network, and we use a CDN to distribute web traffic to our websites. We have millions of visitors to our websites every day, and having the images and what not available in dozens of servers around the world keeps traffic from all going to one single location, which would make things unbearably slow for anyone browsing our sites. The down side is that it sometimes takes a while to replicate the content everywhere, so it can occasionally appear that images are missing.

I agree with Frank that pinging a server isn't a very good test. All it really tells you is that there is a server there.

I'm also glad he mentioned that DC uses a CDN, or Content Delivery Network. That can play a big factor in how fast or slow a site is. CDNs essentially duplicate a web site's content (images, etc.) in various locations around the globe. In theory, you are supposed to be fed content by the server closest to your location. Perhaps the one closest to Andy is having some problems. This might also help explain why he was seeing images with red x's, while others were not having any issues.

I work in the IT department of the world's largest real estate network, and we use a CDN to distribute web traffic to our websites. We have millions of visitors to our websites every day, and having the images and what not available in dozens of servers around the world keeps traffic from all going to one single location, which would make things unbearably slow for anyone browsing our sites. The down side is that it sometimes takes a while to replicate the content everywhere, so it can occasionally appear that images are missing.

No red x's for me. Just slow.

Well, it also tells me that it isn't really internet traffic between me and DC that is causing any slow downs. I got an average round trip of 38 ms. But, I don't know if that is even relevant if the content is being delivered by a CDN. How would I ping that?

Well, it also tells me that it isn't really internet traffic between me and DC that is causing any slow downs. I got an average round trip of 38 ms.
We're not talking apples to apples. Ping uses ICMP protocol, which does nothing more than relay simple messages back to the originating address. Websites use the TCP protocol, which has error-checking and congestion control mechanisms. It's much more complex and designed around the guaranteed delivery of data. If you think of a web page as a puzzle made up of many bits of data, TCP basically sends one piece of the puzzle at a time (called a "packet" in internet jargon) - and waits for acknowledgement that each piece was received correctly - until the entire page is completed. If there are transmission errors that cause the data to be resent, or heavy traffic, or a server doesn't receive an acknowledgement from the requestor, it can cause slow downs.

But, I don't know if that is even relevant if the content is being delivered by a CDN. How would I ping that?
I have no simple answer here. It depends on how the CDN is set up. In most cases a CDN works through DNS. You send a request to DC for an image and the DNS server (the internet address book) decides which server can best handle the request. Sometimes the decision is based solely on proximity, but can also have other rules. For example, it might have a load balancing mechanism that decides which server has the least amount of traffic and route your request there.

Last edited:
Steve, of course there can be many reasons the site runs slow for some of us. I'll admit that today, it's running fast for me. We were discussing ways of figuring out if it was our ISPs that were causing the problem. I'll run some pings on a day when the site is running slow for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom