Dots, dashes, lines & squiggles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Cobean

Executive Chef
my name is harry & i'm an alc.....oops,technophobe!
help please,which keys do i need to hit on my keyboard to put accents etc above letters,like the dash above the "e" as in rose wine...see,told you i'm hopeless,probably posted this in the wrong place too....doh:wacko::ROFLMAO:!!

Last edited:
é = alt+130

Alt key + Three digits:
128 Ç
129 ü
130 é
131 â
132 ä
133 à
134 å
135 ç
136 ê
137 ë
138 è
139 ï
140 î
141 ì
142 Ä
143 Å
144 É
145 æ
146 Æ
147 ô
148 ö
149 ò
150 û
151 ù
152 ÿ
153 Ö
154 Ü
160 á
161 í
162 ó
163 ú
164 ñ
165 Ñ
167 º
168 ¿
248 °
250 · (smaller bullet)

I never thought about it much until I went back to school, but after using the Macintosh machines in the digital media lab, I am thinking about getting one for the house. They are different but they sure are easy to use once you get used to them.

I've been happy with mine. I've used them in both work and home environments with pleasure.

Thanks chaps!

thanks for the help jpb,andy & hoot.i'm on a dell inspiron running windows vista & neither way worked.then i found an ALT GR key right of the space bar & that works as per andy's instructions...look:ééúíó....bloody hell i'll be scanning & saving to file next,ermmmm,whatever that is...........:wacko:!
once again thanks all
harry

Two notes:

Bill's method works in Windog, but only using the numbers on the numeric keypad.

Whether or not Alt or AltGr + a letter works, depends (at least in Windog) on which keyboard layout you have chosen. I used to use Brazilian Portuguese, because I could put all kinds of neat stuff quickly. E.g., e' gave me é (e + two ' gave me e'). But, they changed it.

Windog has a utility called "Character Map". It has all the special characters.

Screenshots of Character Map Icon and of Character Map in use, below. Once a character is highlighted, there is info about that character in the bottom line, e.g., how to make the character with keystrokes. I have Character Map pinned to my task bar because I write stuff in English, French, Danish, & Swedish. I only remember the key strokes for the letters I use a lot (æøå, éè), can't remember any of the upper case letters.

Attachments

• Character Map Icon.gif
    Character Map Icon.gif
    3 KB · Views: 92
  • Character Map, open.gif
    Character Map, open.gif
    43.6 KB · Views: 455
Those accent marks are called diacritics. I think that most people accept that if you leave the diacritic off, it is okay on a forum or in an email. Each diacritic has a name, but we won't get into that!

Ah, It's because I don't have a numerical keypad on my laptop.

é Alt +130...I use that one the most because of Latté. I also use the degree symbol. Works just fine on Shrek's computer.

Since I had to hack into Shrek's computer to weed out his e-mail, I thought I would drop in...not sleeping, again.

Those accent marks are called diacritics. I think that most people accept that if you leave the diacritic off, it is okay on a forum or in an email. Each diacritic has a name, but we won't get into that!
nó wáy jósé! just found out how to do it so i'm playing catch up...old dog new tricks:LOL:!
hárry

Ah, It's because I don't have a numerical keypad on my laptop.

é Alt +130...I use that one the most because of Latté. I also use the degree symbol. Works just fine on Shrek's computer.

Since I had to hack into Shrek's computer to weed out his e-mail, I thought I would drop in...not sleeping, again.
Not sleeping=not good. I am up because this is the time I usually wake up. I usually nap between 6-7:30 a.m. I am so tempted to get the girls up, but I don't want them outside this early...since they free-range. But I want to see how many chicks are out there!!!! And take pics!

I've invited a friend and her two sons (10 and 7) to come out and see the chicks....and pick strawberries...and then go to Upper Canada Village...the boys live in the City, so thought it might be nice if they could came out, see the chicks, pick some Swiss chard, lettuce, and pull some green onions, go to the strawberry patch down the road, and then go to UCV. We'll see if they have other plans. Their dad is welcome to come too! Oh crap--I should probably do some housework if they decide to drive out from the City!:ohmy:

Not sleeping=not good. I am up because this is the time I usually wake up. I usually nap between 6-7:30 a.m. I am so tempted to get the girls up, but I don't want them outside this early...since they free-range. But I want to see how many chicks are out there!!!! And take pics!

I've invited a friend and her two sons (10 and 7) to come out and see the chicks....and pick strawberries...and then go to Upper Canada Village...the boys live in the City, so thought it might be nice if they could came out, see the chicks, pick some Swiss chard, lettuce, and pull some green onions, go to the strawberry patch down the road, and then go to UCV. We'll see if they have other plans. Their dad is welcome to come too! Oh crap--I should probably do some housework if they decide to drive out from the City!:ohmy:

Lately, I wake up and just lay there for 20 minutes and then I give up and get up. I just took half a sleeper, see if I can get in a couple more hours. I do want to be awake enough to go get hot donuts for the unit staff today. I might even get Shrek and his roommate coffee.

Back
Top Bottom