Email notifications

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But evidently DC takes that SERIOUSLY! LOL

It would have to do with your email server. Not us. We don't check that sort of thing.

How is that supposed to help, since my DC emails arrive correctly, when they arrive. They were not in my spam folder. I always check my spam folder if an email I'm expecting doesn't show up. And as I mentioned, they are arriving correctly now.

You may wish to check upstream from you. With your provider.

Be aware that settings change overtime and what used to work might stop working as filters and such change, and change with no notice to you.

I do know we are sending out a TON of email. If there is a problem on our end we get lots and lots of complaints.

Try putting their email addy in your contacts and see if it helps. It did for me. Mostly, but not always. LOL

There's still a glitch the works, I guess, witness what MrsLMB and others have said.

I have my email set up to only accept mail from names I specify. All others go into Spam. Then, every day I go through my Spam, read my replies from DC and any other emails I want, then delete the Spam folder. I do that so I don't get so much junk in my regular email and it is easier to delete the whole spam folder than to delete individual emails.

I use Gmail and Chrome with Windows7. I'm not saying they're the best in the world but it does take care of spam quite efficiently on it's own.

I rarely get Spam in my Inbox.

On the few times I do I just click the icon marked 'this is spam' above the message.

Of course there are always a few dedicated sites that will get through---- even those I've asked to remove me from their mailing list!

But by and large I have almost no spam sent to my Inbox. I'm sure different browsers, email types, OSs, preferences etc. will react differently. That's the 'beauty' of the Internet. :ermm:

The thing with DS (when the notifications were going to my Spam folder) was easily fixed by just adding DS to my contact.

Funny thing, though---- when I first joined DS I was getting notifications in my Inbox. Then that stopped. I guess how 'things' operate at sites are constantly changing. ;)

I have my email set up to only accept mail from names I specify. All others go into Spam. Then, every day I go through my Spam, read my replies from DC and any other emails I want, then delete the Spam folder. I do that so I don't get so much junk in my regular email and it is easier to delete the whole spam folder than to delete individual emails.

You can set up a DC folder and create a rule specifying that email from DC goes there. I know it's a bit of a hassle to check another folder, but as Frank said earlier, DC can be penalized for emails from them being classified as spam.

Note: Of course people know that I meant DC NOT DS in my last post. Sigh.

You can set up a DC folder and create a rule specifying that email from DC goes there. I know it's a bit of a hassle to check another folder, but as Frank said earlier, DC can be penalized for emails from them being classified as spam.

It's not a hassle for me. I check several folders on 3 emails a couple times a day. I am retired and have nothing else to do anyway. LOL

So I have the new folder set up, but I'm having trouble creating the rule. So far it looks like I would have to create a rule for every topic in the forum. I'll play with it and figure it out.

I guess I'm odd man out. All my incoming mail goes to my INBOX. I read and deal with it all in one place and move on.

I guess I'm odd man out. All my incoming mail goes to my INBOX. I read and deal with it all in one place and move on.

I used to be like that too, Andy, but I started getting so much Spam in there that I decided to set it up so just my email from friends and relatives goes into the inbox and the rest just went to spam. I didn't have to go through it and delete each spam email individually. I would just quickly scan the spam folder to make sure nothing important went there and then delete the whole folder. When I signed up to DC I noticed they were going in Spam and were not in with my regular emails and liked that. I was not aware until now that DC was penalized for it.

Last edited:
I have noticed that I am not getting the usual responses to threads that I usually do. When i get back to a thread I notice that there have been posts but i had not known about them................any ideas please?

OK, I think I have the rule set up. I will come back later to see if it's working. Now it's time to watch my soaps. What a life!!

@menumaker

Have you read all the posts before yours? There might be a solution for your particular problem in them. (There are 3 pages)

I used to be like that too, Andy, but I started getting so much Spam in there that I decided to set it up so just my email from friends and relatives goes into the inbox and the rest just went to spam. I didn't have to go through it and delete each spam email individually. I would just quickly scan the spam folder to make sure nothing important went there and then delete the whole folder. When I signed up to DC I noticed they were going in Spam and were not in with my regular emails and liked that. I was not aware until now that DC was penalized for it.

I have spam filter set to prevent spam form hitting my inbox. I rarely get spam now. I check my ISP mailbox as well as my local spam folder and there's seldom anything there either.

Because my email is used for business, I check my spam folder several times a day. I use Gmail. If something is in spam that shouldn't be, I mark it "not spam", because Gmail's spam filter learns from that. It also learns from marking something "spam" instead of just deleting it.

taxlady said:
"It also learns from marking something "spam" instead of just deleting it."

That's why l like Gmail. It almost reads your mind. Almost. I guess that can have a down side too. ;)

I never use notifications. Don't need all the email traffic.
^This^ :)

I don't use folders for incoming mail, just for what I've read and need to save to reference later. Yahoo does a pretty good job of sending Spam to a separate spam folder automatically, then deletes messages when they've aged a week. I used to check my Spam folder religiously, but after seeing only offers to reduce my interest rates (um, no loans here) or to make a certain part of my anatomy larger (people, you're aiming for the wrong half of the body!) I rarely give it a look. Hope I haven't missed out on that opportunity to deposit one million dollars from a long-lost relative in Nigeria...:ermm:

Knowing how bad I am when it comes to computer issues, I am proud to say that I fixed the dilemma with my rule not working to put DC notifications in the Discuss Cooking folder. The reason the rule wouldn't work is because they were not going into my inbox but into my spam folder. I added the "support@discusscooking.com" email into my contacts and now it recognizes them and sends them to my Discuss Cooking folder. I am thrilled!

Knowing how bad I am when it comes to computer issues, I am proud to say that I fixed the dilemma with my rule not working to put DC notifications in the Discuss Cooking folder. The reason the rule wouldn't work is because they were not going into my inbox but into my spam folder. I added the "support@discusscooking.com" email into my contacts and now it recognizes them and sends them to my Discuss Cooking folder. I am thrilled!
w00t!

I'm seeing that the best part of all is that it shows me if there are messages in there before I even click on the folder. In the Spam folder I had to go into it to see if there were messages.

Back
Top Bottom