Hot Puddings/Desserts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A yorkshire pudding is a savoury, puffed up, egg flour and milk thingy.... served with roast meats, most commonly, the roast beef of olde England...

I'm kind of with Alix on this. The fact that British (and British ex-colonies) use a common term for puddings is one thing - but Americans and Europeans wouldn't use even similar terms...

Steamed puddings, like spotted dick, jam roly-poly etc are particularly British - and in many cases, I don't believe they would ever be to the taste of, say, Americans!:)

I think it's GREAT that we all have our own specialities... that's what makes this site so interesting. I mean, I am often sitting at my puter, open-mouthed at some of the recipes.... here, we have no milk based 'gravies'... But they are widespread in the US and enjoyed by many of the posters.

Horses for courses!:cool:

mudbug said:
OK, all you residents of the UK - yes, I know the diff betwee our pudding and your puddings (all lovely, by the way), but 'splain the diff between a Yorkshire pudding and the others.

Hey Bug, I think Yorkshire pudding is savory. I had it once served in a private home with an incredible beef dish, burgandy?, tenderloin?, was like a giant popover with beef stuff under it:wacko:. It was quite good.

And no one has mentioned Bakewell pudding. Is this a different creature?

Thanks, Ish - I knew what they were. Aren't they yummy, Beth? What I was getting at is that that particular pud (the Yorkie) is so unlike the other British puds. Much lighter, and savory rather than sweet.

mudbug said:
Thanks, Ish - I knew what they were. Aren't they yummy, Beth? What I was getting at is that that particular pud (the Yorkie) is so unlike the other British puds. Much lighter, and savory rather than sweet.

Oh my dear mudbug, you are forgetting things like Blood pudding and Suet pudding. Pudding covers a WIDE range of stuff from savory to sweet.

I'm sure that I posted my family recipe for Yorkshire pudding a long time ago... And it's Bakewell Tart, not pudding! Bakewell is a town in Derbyshire and the Bakewells are sold in every cake shop in the town!

And we have lots of savoury 'puddings' - including Steak and Kidney pudding - a steamed pastry enclosing braising steak, kidneys and onions.

You make BOAK pudding too???? Ewwwwwwwwwwww! *running away very quickly before Ishbel can smack me*

mudbug said:
OK, all you residents of the UK - yes, I know the diff betwee our pudding and your puddings (all lovely, by the way), but 'splain the diff between a Yorkshire pudding and the others.

Yorkshire pudding = popover in the U.S. though yorkshire uses beef juices/stock for added flavor.

Ishbel said:
I'm sure that I posted my family recipe for Yorkshire pudding a long time ago... And it's Bakewell Tart, not pudding! Bakewell is a town in Derbyshire and the Bakewells are sold in every cake shop in the town!

I had a nagging impression I had Bakewell Pudding in Darbesure. If anyone is interested, I can post recipes for both Bakewell Pudding and Bakewell Tarts.

Attachments

• bakewellpuddingshop (3).JPG
    bakewellpuddingshop (3).JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 182
It's a long time since I've been in Bakewell, but nowadays every supermarket sells versions of Bakewell tarts... usually, individual sized ones..

I had a look on Wikipedia and found the following
Bakewell tart

Jump to: navigation, search

A Bakewell cake

A Bakewell pudding

The Old Original Bakewell Pudding Shop

A Bakewell tart is a traditional English baked dessert tart or cake consisting of a shortcrust pastry shell, spread with jam and covered with a sponge-like filling enriched with ground almonds.
A Bakewell cake is small cake, covered with a top layer of icing and a single central half-cherry, also known as a cherry Bakewell.
To some extent, the terms cake and tart are used interchangeably, though some insist the names are recipe specific. Recipes abound, for example those given by Ben Mathews (1839), Eliza Acton (1845) and Mrs Beeton (1861), and modern commercial examples are to be found in most cake shops and on every supermarket shelf. The name only became common in the 20th Century; the dish was previously known as Bakewell Pudding.
The Derbyshire town of Bakewell claims to be the home of the authentic Bakewell Pudding, and indeed there is a variant (and supposedly secret) recipe still made there that consists of a puff pastry shell with a layer of jam, covered with a filling of eggs, sugar, butter and almonds. This dish is said to be an accidental invention of the 1860s, which occurred when a nobleman visiting the White Horse Inn at Bakewell ordered strawberry tart. The cook, instead of stirring the egg mixture into the cake, spread it on top of the jam. However, this claim is almost certainly spurious, as the pudding was by then already well-known, and its antecedents can be traced back to medieval times.
[edit]
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/

Last edited:
All right all you Scots, Brits and Aussies, I need your input here. Please post here and tell me what you would name this sub forum. I think Puddings (all types) will not be quite descriptive enough, but I'm not feeling very creative here. A little help please?

Lyn

I think that a Forum for Hot Puddings and Desserts is a good idea. But we already have quite a few Forums for all types of desserts

OH MY - I can't believe I found a picture of Ishbel on the web!!!!

chicken_squacking.gif

:-p

The key to Alix's question is SUB forum in desserts. There is no difinitive place for puddings. And since I don't bake even puddings I say we don't need a sub because why would you have a sub for just vanilla pudding, chocolate pudding, and butterscotch pudding :LOL: :ROFLMAO: (ducking so Alix want swat me with the pudding mixing spoon) but Alix and a bunch of people bake and if they help name it they might get one! :rolleyes:

And this is a sub for SWEET puddings, not savory.

Zachoo calling me CHICKEN, KE?

And me, a women whose national emblem is the LION RAMPANT?:)

(heheheeeeee - I'm leaving it to the Canajun to sort this one out - after all, isn't that why they pay you Mods those big bucks?!!!!)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom