Hot Puddings/Desserts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lynan

Sous Chef
I wonder if we could have a forum for these. I have many I would like to post but they are not Pies/Pastries/Cobblers or Crisps.:)
The British and the Antipodean types ( like me) have been brought up with gorgeous hot puds like Chocolate Self Saucing, Golden Syrup or Ginger Steamed Pud, Sticky Date, Roly Poly etc and Im am positive we can convince the rest of the world to try them too!:rolleyes:
OK, I could post them in one of the other forums but they dont fit really IMO.

Your thoughts?

Thanks...Lyn:chef:

Do what I do, Lynan..... post them 'loose' ie in the pudding forum, but not in one of the sub-groups!

Ishbel said:
Do what I do, Lynan..... post them 'loose' ie in the pudding forum, but not in one of the sub-groups!

Oooops!! There IS a pudding forum??? If so...Im totally lost!! lolol :)
And that would not be at all unusual.:LOL:

Lynan said:
Oooops!! There IS a pudding forum??? If so...Im totally lost!! lolol :)
And that would not be at all unusual.:LOL:

Well, there isn't a "pudding" forum per se, Lynan. There's a "dessert" forum, under which there are sub-forums, none of which seem ideal for what I think you're thinking of.

You know that "pudding" in the U.S. and outside of the U.S. have VERY different meanings, don't you? Pudding in the U.S. is usually/always a cornstarch-thickened milk affair, served hot or cold. Elsewhere I think it's synonymous for dessert in many ways, but I get the feeling that dessert can encompass more (for instance, you can say you had fruit for dessert, just meaning the final course of a meal. Can one say that with pudding?!)

Anyhow, obviously I need a class in puddings! Can you offer an "Introduction to Puddings / Pudding 101" to help us novices vote on whether a separate forum is appropriate?

Meanwhile though, I DO vote for you posting some of those wonderful recipes!

Ayrton said:
Anyhow, obviously I need a class in puddings! Can you offer an "Introduction to Puddings / Pudding 101" to help us novices vote on whether a separate forum is appropriate?

Meanwhile though, I DO vote for you posting some of those wonderful recipes!

Me too. And could there be some explanation what yall mean by custard? I kept running into custard served with various desserts in the UK and never ordered it because I never got a coherent explanation of what it was. A few months ago I was hosting a British gent who tried to order apple pie with custard. This is not a usual combination I am used to.

bethzaring said:
... And could there be some explanation what yall mean by custard? ...

That one I can explain: it's a stove-top sauce made of milk (possibly with cream too), egg yolks, sugar, possibly another thickener like flour or corn starch. Thick enough to "coat the back of a spoon" is how I know it.

Not to be confused with our "baked custard" -- richer, thicker, no top crust.

Chef_Jen said:
Custard is almost like thinner vanilla jello pudding lol

its like melted icecream hot... if that makes sense

oh:huh: , I see why the non-cooking pub helpers had trouble describing custard:LOL: . This is certainly not like baked custard.

Have the recipes appeared anywhere yet?:rolleyes:

Lynan? Ishbel? Can you confirm what's been written above and also give us your very best-est definition of "pudding" so that we can get on with that forum?

(and, no, Lynan, you can not come to love decaf. You can come to tolerate it.)

Ayrton said:
Lynan? Ishbel? Can you confirm what's been written above and also give us your very best-est definition of "pudding" so that we can get on with that forum?

(and, no, Lynan, you can not come to love decaf. You can come to tolerate it.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pudding

I never thought I would be referring to Wikipedia as much as I do.:neutral: Often info is wrong but in this case, re Puddings, they do the work of explaining a darned sight better than I could!

Ayrton, you are right about decaf.:(

Lynan said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pudding

I never thought I would be referring to Wikipedia as much as I do.:neutral: Often info is wrong but in this case, re Puddings, they do the work of explaining a darned sight better than I could!

Ayrton, you are right about decaf.:(

I know I am, dearie ... right about decaf, that is. Are you absolutely obligated to drink the stuff??

Wikipedia is just wonderful, isn't it. The pudding article was great, and the "custard" and "dessert" articles helpful too. I think it's not too surprising we Yanks have been a bit confused!

Meanwhile, I think a "Puddings" forum IS merited as it appears they have somewhat unique characteristics. How does one go about officially proposing such a thing?

Yoo, hoo ... administrator!

'Dessert' and 'pudding' are fairly interchangeable descriptions for the sweet course - and of course, they can also be called 'sweets' - not to be confused with sweets, which are known as candy in the US!

Ah yes, once again, nations divided by a common language!

Creme Anglaise is the Frenchified name for custard. Or then again, you can use the English pantry standby of Birds Custard Powder!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird's_Custard

Yes most people over here ask to see the:

Sweets Board (or menu)

Dessert Board (or menu)

And generally my Motheri n law always asks "Do you fancy a pudding"

all meaning the same thing!

In the recent past I made a suggestion for a new sub category called Spoon Desserts for such things as creme brulees, mousses etc. You can read it here

If there's enough critical mass, maybe the admins will accede to our requests :)

I love love love steamed puddings. I made one three years ago for the first time, for Christmas. It was an orange cranberry pudding. I've been hooked ever since.

I generally only do this in the autumn and winter, but it's a wonderful dessert!

Chopstix said:
In the recent past I made a suggestion for a new sub category called Spoon Desserts for such things as creme brulees, mousses etc. You can read it here

If there's enough critical mass, maybe the admins will accede to our requests :)

*Sigh* I'm not saying yes, as it will require discussion by all Admins...but what would you call it if it were created?

Keep in mind the different cultures represented on the boards. Could it work as UK based Custards? Is Spoon Desserts a possibility? I would need a description of what exactly those are. And which one of you rabble rousers is going to send me a bonus if I create this sub and then have to move all the various recipes already scattered throughout the forum? ;)

Last edited:
OK, all you residents of the UK - yes, I know the diff betwee our pudding and your puddings (all lovely, by the way), but 'splain the diff between a Yorkshire pudding and the others.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom