How can I tell if I've thanked someone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennifer Murphy

Senior Cook
When I get great responses, I like to thank them. I see that there is a Thanks button, but I don't any indication that I have. Several other forums display an icon like a thumbs up. Others show a list of who has "liked" that post.

Without an indication, I worry about not thanking someone who I should or bothering the, with multiple thanks because I cannot remember if I did.

If you clock on the THANKS button for the post in question, it will tell you, 'you can't give thanks to the same post twice' if you've already thanked.

If you clock on the THANKS button for the post in question, it will tell you, 'you can't give thanks to the same post twice' if you've already thanked.
Well, I guess that's better than nothing, but an indicator on the post would be more helpful. It would also encourage others to give credit.

I agree. This has been an ongoing issue with the software for a while.

Maybe it's time to take a look at a newer forum software package. I believe vBulletin used to be the primo software, but I heard that it is not being developed any more. Many forums now use XenForo, which seems to work really well.

Maybe it's time to take a look at a newer forum software package. I believe vBulletin used to be the primo software, but I heard that it is not being developed any more. Many forums now use XenForo, which seems to work really well.

Feel free to post your suggestion in the FORUM ADMIN section.

Jennifer, Discuss Cooking has been around for a good long time, longer than many of the other platforms.
It's still free, no one is asking for 'donations' and it has an extremely large number of subscribers.

What's your point? Is it perfect? Can it not be made better?

I subscribe to dozens of forums. Almost all are free. Some are very well run, others not so much.

Thanks for that. I had no idea and had wondered the same thing as Jennifer was wondering. Good to know.

As to updating to newer forum software, I imagine that migrating the current posts is an issue. How well will it bring all the old threads and their replies into the new software? Even if it can do it, it sounds like a major job for those who have to deal with it.

Thanks for that. I had no idea and had wondered the same thing as Jennifer was wondering. Good to know.

I suppose an "indicator on the post" isn't really necessary, as long as we know our thanks went to the intended person.

I like the "thank" feature.

When I get great responses, I like to thank them. I see that there is a Thanks button, but I don't any indication that I have. Several other forums display an icon like a thumbs up. Others show a list of who has "liked" that post.
Without an indication, I worry about not thanking someone who I should or bothering the, with multiple thanks because I cannot remember if I did.
Jennifer you are beating a dead horse. We have asked many times about including this most simple addition/icon to the forum.
They use vbulletin software here and I know what its capable of with minimal input from the admins.

Well, I guess that's better than nothing, but an indicator on the post would be more helpful. It would also encourage others to give credit.
The reason has been explained some years ago that some members may get butt hurt over a visible thanks button.
Meaning if some thank a post, others that are in disagreement might be offended. "Piling on" if you will.

Spot on. I for one look forward to the day this software is replaced. Its prehistoric.

Jennifer, Discuss Cooking has been around for a good long time, longer than many of the other platforms.
It's still free, no one is asking for 'donations' and it has an extremely large number of subscribers.
True. But what does that have to do with a simple "Thanks" icon?

As to updating to newer forum software, I imagine that migrating the current posts is an issue. How well will it bring all the old threads and their replies into the new software? Even if it can do it, it sounds like a major job for those who have to deal with it.

I was involved with another forum that upgraded to Xenfro software. VerticleScope is the owner and the platform is Fora.
It was a fairly large endeavor and many members were not pleased until they saw the advantages and how much easier the controls were to operate.
That forum also ran vbulletin software.
Nothing was lost and everything was still available to the members, the moderators and the admin.
However there were changes like pictures for example. Now members can right click on a picture, copy it and paste it directly into their post. Just an example of many improvements.
It is my opinion, but most members here including the staff are afraid of change. They are used to this format.

Personally, if I thank someone, I don't necessarily want to advertise it to all.

Maybe I thought their answer was exactly what I was looking for 'above and beyond' but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the others answers,

they just may not have been what I was looking for. Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings when someone is trying to help.

All comments are greatly appreciated but if I pose a single question I'm not going to send Thanks to 50 people who answer! LOL Got better things to do - like trying out their answers in my next meal! :LOL::LOL:

I also don't want comments from people trying to garner thanks for an ego boost.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom