How do you quote only part of a post?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
If you want to put up a post referring to only part of someone else's, how do you use only part of it? I've been using the whole thing, then deleting what I don't want, but it doesn't turn out right.

If you want to put up a post referring to only part of someone else's, how do you use only part of it? I've been using the whole thing, then deleting what I don't want, but it doesn't turn out right.

Be very careful not to disturb the parts between the brackets [ ] and what you're doing should work fine.

And if you want to quote part of a post, like this:

suziquzi said:
Got it.... I think

You just:

1. copy what you want to quote
  2. paste into your new post
  3. highlight what you just pasted
  4. click on the "Quote" picture above the box
  5. Now, immediately after the word QUOTE, with NO SPACE, type an equal sign and the name of the person you quoted (I typed your name)
That's how you quote just part of a post

Be very careful not to disturb the parts between the brackets [ ] and what you're doing should work fine.

Actually, you can disturb the parts between the brackets - just don't remove one of the brackets or it will look like this:

Be very careful not to disturb the parts between the brackets [ ] and what you're doing should work fine./QUOTE]

I "accidentally" removed the first bracket turning off the quote command.

Is that what you were doing suziquzie?

If you quote less than a poster's complete quote, you should acknowledge that you edited it with the insertion of elipses (3 dots in a row). For example, you full first post is above.

If I wanted to edit it as part of my post, I would do it like this:

...how do you use only part of it?...

The ellipses (three dots, only three) indicate that text was removed.

Last edited:
Is there a simple way to do multiple quotes from different people in one post? I think I saw someone do that on this forum.

pacanis - for the life of me I cannot always get the multi-quote function to work so what I do is have two windows open - I can copy from one window and paste into another window.

Back
Top Bottom