I know I am brand new to this board........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
there is a thread somewhere here that someone did. But, I have no clue where it would be. lol
There are a lot of members that are only 1 or 2. You should get some responses. Why don't you start it off?

there is a thread somewhere here that someone did. But, I have no clue where it would be. lol
There are a lot of members that are only 1 or 2. You should get some responses. Why don't you start it off?

I was think more of a forum then a thread.

but would anyone be intrested in a "cooking for 1 or 2" fourm?

Sorry I dont know what you mean exactly but if you are looking for recipes SERVES 1 OR 2, I do small recipes on my blog. Hope you like them if that is what you are asking.

Just about any recipe can be made to feed one or two people. Having a forum specifically for that would kind of be redundant. If you have a recipe for Spaghetti with Meatballs that feeds 4 or one that feeds 2 it will be the same recipes or the only difference will be the amount of ingredients will be cut in half. You can turn just about any recipe into one for fewer people just by using less ingredients.

I am a widow but I still cook everything I eat and have never had a problem with recipes for 4 people. Most recipes are geared for 4 so I just cut the recipe in half. Better yet, I will make the recipe for 4, then freeze the other portions for an "instant" meal when I've been out all day having fun and don't feel like hauling out the pots and pans. You can adjust any recipe to feed 1 or 2.

i totally agree. i divide recipes all the time just to feed myself. not to hard to do.

babe:chef:
I am not talking about the run of the mill....pasta sauce, chili ect.

I have a rec for "Baked Custard for 2". How many people would know how to scale that down and make it work???

I am sorry that you'all don't see the need.

Welcome & I'm interested

I'd be interested as I'm usually cooking for 2 myself :chef:

PS - Welcome to DC :)

We are trying to make you see that you can scale down any recipe no matter how many it serves. If you have a recipe for Baked Custard for 2, then make the recipe as is then save some for leftovers. If you only want to make it for one , then cut the recipe in half. Your original post said you wanted recipes for 1 or 2 people. Maybe you can explain why this isn't what you want so we can help you further. Would you consider posting the recipe for the Baked Custard so we can see why it can't be cut in half?

How about this ?

I'm wondering what harm there would be if the cook-4-2's shared what they know & have learned w/ each of the other cook-4-2's? :)

Cutting things in half/fourth/whatever is not always so simple, maybe having things go the other way, where we double/triple/whatever for more than 2 might make some sense. I know I'm always trying to pare it down, especially when shopping to create the entire menu for each meal.

Then, if anyone sees/knows/whatever of an easier way then chime right in? Finally, if it's a wasted thread then who's going to be harmed? The thread will go & die a quiet death - like some I've started ;).

I only cook for 2 most of the time. I make a lot of stuff up on my own or do tried and true recipes I know by heart. Or I’ll read 5 or 6 recipes for the same thing and figure out what is common to the recipe and then throw something together based on what I have on hand and how I want it to taste.

When I do follow a written recipe from a cookbook or the net, I have to cut it down to size. The hardest thing is some of the measurements. Like when it calls for 1/3 of something. Mathematically that works out to 1/6 but my measuring cup doesn’t have that marked. :)

So I find it easier to convert to ounces. Eight ounces in a cup gives 2.6 ounces in 1/3 cup which is 1.3 ounces so I round up and call that 1-1/2 ounces.

Details ...

Ok, so maybe I didn't read so close (my eyes ain't so good these days). Sorry about that. :(

I only cook for 2 most of the time. I make a lot of stuff up on my own or do tried and true recipes I know by heart. Or I’ll read 5 or 6 recipes for the same thing and figure out what is common to the recipe and then throw something together based on what I have on hand and how I want it to taste.

When I do follow a written recipe from a cookbook or the net, I have to cut it down to size. The hardest thing is some of the measurements. Like when it calls for 1/3 of something. Mathematically that works out to 1/6 but my measuring cup doesn’t have that marked. :)

So I find it easier to convert to ounces. Eight ounces in a cup gives 2.6 ounces in 1/3 cup which is 1.3 ounces so I round up and call that 1-1/2 ounces.

Now that is a useful tip. Thank you very much.:)

Back
Top Bottom