Increase the time for edits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
jeesh! If I edit my post within 5 seconds, sorry...my post will now show "EDITED by so and so".

This forum engine most likely allows the administrator to set the time for editing before seeing "LAST EDITED BY SO AND SO" 2 seconds after posting. Please increase that time, especially when noone has replied.

Another shortcoming about this forum engine, you have to click on the topic to see the gist of the topic posted. Most if not all current forum engines...you merely pass your mouse over the post to see the post.

Less than 30 seconds passed before I added this new edit, yet it will say "LAST EDITED...bla bla bla". That time can be increased as part of this forum engine options. Can you make that happen?

I would think so, unless there's another reason not to.

I know I know, we're a simple cooking community. OK, I suppose. No big deal.

Thanks, not complaining really, just noticing.

Last edited:
jeesh! If I edit my post within 5 seconds, sorry...my post will now show "EDITED by so and so".

This forum engine most likely allows the administrator to set the time for editing before seeing "LAST EDITED BY SO AND SO" 2 seconds after posting. Please increase that time, especially when noone has replied.

Another shortcoming about this forum engine, you have to click on the topic to see the gist of the topic posted. Most if not all current forum engines...you merely pass your mouse over the post to see the post.

Less than 30 seconds passed before I added this new edit, yet it will say "LAST EDITED...bla bla bla". That time can be increased as part of this forum engine options. Can you make that happen?

I would think so, unless there's another reason not to.

I know I know, we're a simple cooking community. OK, I suppose. No big deal.

Thanks, not complaining really, just noticing.

Try resting your cursor over the title of the thread. It will show the first post content.

As for the "edited by" just ignore it. Personally, I often edit my posts after it has posted and I can see how it looks and reads.

The advantage for the "edited by" is that when editing recipes, especially, you can note the reason for the edit, like correcting a recipe amount, or adding an ingredient, or missing instruction, so that the reader will know what had changed.

Last edited:
Try resting your cursor over the title of the thread. It will show the first post content.

As for the "edited by" just ignore it. Personally, I often edit my posts after it has posted and I can see how it looks and reads.

The advantage for the "edited by" is that when editing recipes, especially, you can note the reason for the edit, like correcting a recipe amount, or adding an ingredient, or missing instruction, so that the reader will know what had changed.

It depends on where you are look at the title of the thread. If you are looking at it in most lists, it will show stuff when you hover your mouse over it. If you are looking at the quick links to the right of the threads, it won't.

I believe the edit time was shortened for spam prevention reasons.

It depends on where you are look at the title of the thread. If you are looking at it in most lists, it will show stuff when you hover your mouse over it. If you are looking at the quick links to the right of the threads, it won't.

I believe the edit time was shortened for spam prevention reasons.

Thanks, TL, I didn't know that one, I rarely used those, and in fact, found a way to remove that whole column because with the new Firefox upgrade I wasn't getting much information shown on the left side of the page - the right column was so much wider.

I agree, the time frame is too short before "Last Edited By..." appears at the bottom. I would often offend someone with my post and a minute later I would regret posting that and would reword it.

i say ban the member so snd so.

darn guy keeps editing everything. makes us look like we don't know how to spell or something...

Last edited:
i say ban the member so snd so.

darn guy keeps editing everything. makes us look like we don't know how to spell or something...

There are quite a few posts that could have stood some editing. ;)

"to" instead of "too", sloppy typos, etc.

I can see that typos are often made from mobile devices.
Or netbooks with small keyboards...or late at night after a glass of wine...

I'm part of a writers and editors forum...gosh forbid if your post has a typo! The "list bullys" beat you up. In my professional life, I am an editor and writer. Even we make mistakes. I think tolerance is important--there are many people on this list from other countries or for whom English is not their native language. Writing in another language is the last skill one masters and is the hardest to master. I would rather see people post than not post because they are afraid their English isn't good enough. I hate it when I see a typo in one of my posts after the time limit has passed to edit it--I hang my head in embarassment. Can we add a spell checker to the options?

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about the edit note - posts are edited all the time and for all kinds of reasons - mostly additions and typos.

I see the red lined misspellings, but not an add to dictionary. Also the red lined misspellings are occasionally wrong.

When repeated red lines come up with various spellings, I google for the correct one, and it usually is the first spelling I came up with, so it's not infallible. This has happened on a couple of occasions. I'd really have liked to add the correct spelling to the dictionary.

As a secretary I prided myself on my punctuation, grammar and spelling so I too really, really hate finding I made an error after the 20 minute limit.

I'm part of a writers and editors forum...gosh forbid if your post has a typo! The "list bullys" beat you up. In my professional life, I am an editor and writer. Even we make mistakes. I think tolerance is important--there are many people on this list from other countries or for whom English is not their native language. Writing in another language is the last skill one masters and is the hardest to master. I would rather see people post than not post because they are afraid their English isn't good enough. I hate it when I see a typo in one of my posts after the time limit has passed to edit it--I hang my head in embarassment. Can we add a spell checker to the options?

I don't mind the bad spelling or grammar, unless it makes it hard to understand what the person means.

I see the red lined misspellings, but not an add to dictionary. Also the red lined misspellings are occasionally wrong.

When repeated red lines come up with various spellings, I google for the correct one, and it usually is the first spelling I came up with, so it's not infallible. This has happened on a couple of occasions. I'd really have liked to add the correct spelling to the dictionary.

As a secretary I prided myself on my punctuation, grammar and spelling so I too really, really hate finding I made an error after the 20 minute limit.

I used to use an add-on with Firefox. It worked fine. Now I use the built in spell checker with Chrome and I can right click to add words or change language. I think I had to download the extra languages (French, UK English, Danish, Swedish), or maybe I just chose them in some setting.

well said, cws!

lol, i don't know why, but the phrase "dislexics untie!" comes to mind... :)

...or late at night after a glass of wine...
GAH!! Izz u peckin' on meh?!:ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, I am on a few other forums, &, the ability to re-edit our posts at any time is quite a simple thing to do. It used to bother me to bits when I ran across a typo-o.:wacko: Here, I just have to "live w/it", & move on. I REALLY do wish we could edit. I vote to "lift the ban" on that 20 min. rule!

I try not to let it bother me, but it does. Maybe this is too subtle or sensitive, but an edit gives a trace impression, that maybe it's not just minor corrections like typos, but that my post's content, information or opinion was, and still is mostly, wrong. Even if that's a negligible subconscious impression, I'd prefer to avoid it. If I feel it best or necessary, I'll instead copy the text, delete instead of edit, and re-reply with a paste and more careful edit before committing the post. But again, mostly I try to shrug it off and move on.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom