"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Head Chef
 
Rob Babcock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 1,313
Knife Forum Sticky?

I have a suggestion to make: how about we consider a knife forum sticky? I dunno if anyone has noticed but we end up with about a zillion posts per month that all ask what brand of santoku/chef knive/bread knife should I buy? Or what is a good sharpener for my XYZ Supertoku knife set? Obviously this is the internet- there are new members signing up every day and even established members that don't think to use the Search feature. I love knife discussion and I do my best to answer any and all questions that arise there but it's exhausting to try to respond to the 20th "what knife should I buy for cooking at home?" thread in the same week!

I'm sure that between Buzz, DrThunder, SShepherd, jpaulg, AllenOK and the rest of us knifegeeks we could come up with a series of decent primers that could answer 80% of the nOOb "what should I buy" questions with one stop.

__________________
If we're not supposed to eat animals, then how come they're made out of meat?
Rob Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 3,102
I've been on "several" boards (quotes being an indicator that that's a COMPLETE understatement) and I can tell you from serious experience, stickies don't work. Most people see them once and then ignore them. Posts will come, posts will go. People like to post and ask questions, specific questions. If a new thread doesn't hurt the board there's no reason to say "don't post here, post there", IMO. Also, a lot of newbies don't understand sticky threads so it defeats the purpose.

If so many threads of "one nature" bother you, you don't have to answer, it's that easy.
Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:35 PM   #3
Head Chef
 
Rob Babcock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 1,313
I dunno, my experience is a bit different I guess. I'm either an Admin or Mod for two different sites (as well of a member of God-only-knows-how-many more) and I've had reasonable luck with them. If nothing else a sticky provides a good link source; if Mr/Mrs nOOb still asks a question that's been stickied it's a lot easier to link or say "check the sticky" than it is to answer it again or sift thru the forum (like the OP should've done in the first place) to find it.

Obviously I could just refuse to help but I think the sticky would be at least somewhat helpful given the minimal effort required. At first blush I can't see any downside to it.
__________________
If we're not supposed to eat animals, then how come they're made out of meat?
Rob Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kitchenelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,725
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
We will take your suggestion into consideration. The only downside I see is people will be posted in the Sticky and STILL won't search it to find the answer...right back at square one i.e., asking the question anyway.
__________________
kitchenelf

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
Head Chef
 
Rob Babcock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 1,313
Fair enough, and thanks for considering my suggestion. If we were to implement it I'd suggest placing the Stickies right at the top of the Knife Forum. If people choose to ignore them, so be it. But if they want to avail themselves of them they'll have a lot of good info at their disposal.
__________________
If we're not supposed to eat animals, then how come they're made out of meat?
Rob Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:04 PM   #6
Head Chef
 
Saphellae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 1,611
I think that the world of cooking is so vast that even a general Knife thread would get into so many different discussions over the life of it... that it would be impossible to find one single answer anyways. Might as well just have someone bring up the question as it comes.
Saphellae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:09 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kitchenelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,725
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
Fair enough, and thanks for considering my suggestion. If we were to implement it I'd suggest placing the Stickies right at the top of the Knife Forum. If people choose to ignore them, so be it. But if they want to avail themselves of them they'll have a lot of good info at their disposal.

You are welcome. And Stickies always go at the top and stay there.
__________________
kitchenelf

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:10 PM   #8
Senior Cook
 
FincaPerlitas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Jose, Costa Rica, Central America
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
I dunno, my experience is a bit different I guess. I'm either an Admin or Mod for two different sites (as well of a member of God-only-knows-how-many more) and I've had reasonable luck with them. If nothing else a sticky provides a good link source; if Mr/Mrs nOOb still asks a question that's been stickied it's a lot easier to link or say "check the sticky" than it is to answer it again or sift thru the forum (like the OP should've done in the first place) to find it.

Obviously I could just refuse to help but I think the sticky would be at least somewhat helpful given the minimal effort required. At first blush I can't see any downside to it.
I like the idea of a sticky, Rob, but please don't consider refusing to help. I don't post often on the knife threads but am also something of a knife geek and really enjoy reading your posts. I almost always learn something from them.
__________________
"Im going to break one of the rules of the trade here. Im going to tell you some of the secrets of improvisation. Just remember its always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, youre on your own." - James Beard
FincaPerlitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:54 PM   #9
Head Chef
 
Rob Babcock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 1,313
No, I won't refuse to help. But I'm a full time student and I'm just starting a new full time restaurant job, so I don't have time to answer the same question over and over and over and over and...
__________________
If we're not supposed to eat animals, then how come they're made out of meat?
Rob Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:57 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kitchenelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,725
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Just post links to the answers!!
__________________
kitchenelf

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:20 AM   #11
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,716
With a very clear title, such as "What is the Best Knife to Buy?", it might work as a sticky. As a sticky, I think it should be made clear that it is strictly for serious knife discussion. We all like to make silly jokes, me more than most sometimes, but in the interest of space, it would be best for this one to stick to the questions and answers.

Barbara
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:37 AM   #12
Head Chef
 
Rob Babcock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Just post links to the answers!!
That's where the Sticky would rock. It's a lot of work for me to remember where I specifically answered a given question. If it was a sticky I could at least easily link to it.
__________________
If we're not supposed to eat animals, then how come they're made out of meat?
Rob Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:39 AM   #13
Head Chef
 
Rob Babcock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
With a very clear title, such as "What is the Best Knife to Buy?", it might work as a sticky. As a sticky, I think it should be made clear that it is strictly for serious knife discussion. We all like to make silly jokes, me more than most sometimes, but in the interest of space, it would be best for this one to stick to the questions and answers.

Barbara
I think the best thing would be to have Admin lock the thread (ie lock the sticky). It could be read but not added to. If someone had a question about the sticky they could start a thread about it. Alternatively the Mods could watch the thread sticky and prune as needed. If the former option was chosen it would basically be an article to be read.
__________________
If we're not supposed to eat animals, then how come they're made out of meat?
Rob Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:45 AM   #14
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
I think the best thing would be to have Admin lock the thread (ie lock the sticky). It could be read but not added to. If someone had a question about the sticky they could start a thread about it. Alternatively the Mods could watch the thread sticky and prune as needed. If the former option was chosen it would basically be an article to be read.
I saw advantages to both types as well.

Barbara
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:16 AM   #15
Head Chef
 
Saphellae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 1,611
One of our members could write up an article about knives and lock/sticky it for future use. Just a basic article outlining common questions and procedures.
Saphellae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:34 AM   #16
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 3,102
Rob maybe you could write a blog about knives and when the question is asked, you could link the person to your blog.
Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.