Long script running?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have all of this bookmarked for Spike to read and see what he recommends and should do. I do know I am beginning to find this "long script" annoying. He will be by tonight. :angel:

Same here, thats why I went to, do not track me.com
I installed it last week and it has blocked over 10,000 adds.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Install Firefox. I promise you won't regret it and you will in fact give yourself a forehead slap for not doing it before now. Faster, easier to manage, better add ons, and it will import all your current bookmarks. Easy peasy.

Bet you a beer you'll love it within a week.

Budweiser would be fine, Alix ;)
I tried Firefox last year at folk's urgings and there was something about it that it did not support or work with that I use all the time. I don't recall what it was right now, but a couple people (here) agreed that it was one of Firefox's shortcomings.

Have all of this bookmarked for Spike to read and see what he recommends and should do. I do know I am beginning to find this "long script" annoying. He will be by tonight. :angel:

I just noticed that the script thing does not enact itself immediately. You can momentarily scroll or click on something before it starts up and bogs you down.

Off to look up S&P's fix.

Good deal, S&P.
It loaded so fast I wasn't even sure it had installed. It's only 3.4 mb or something.
It seems to be working though. The little Win7 circle is spinning, but I can still navigate and browse while it does it's thing.

Cool beans.

Good deal, S&P.
It loaded so fast I wasn't even sure it had installed. It's only 3.4 mb or something.
It seems to be working though. The little Win7 circle is spinning, but I can still navigate and browse while it does it's thing.

Cool beans.

Happy to hear that.

Well if you put it that way, Steve...
But let's face it, ad related = forum related. I belong to some pretty ad heavy forums... ones that also track your searches... and none have the constant nagging issues of lag times that this one does. I don't think it is simply advertisements as much as it is advertisements trying to find a way around the ad blockers I am already running.

Off to install yet another ad blocker...
Pac, I'm an admin on two other forums that run "vBulletin", which is the software program that DC runs on. The ads are operated by a third-party plugins. DC has very limited control over the ad content. They can specify things like disabling adult-oriented ads and such, but that's about it.

Some of the ad streamers are more scrupulous than others. Some will lock things down pretty tight, but others allow unfettered access by javascript and flash programs. One forum that I belong to got hit last year by a Taiwanese hacker that pushed a Trojan horse virus to users through an advertisement. Just visiting the forum website when the ad was displayed launched the malicious code.

Keep in mind that running ads is a necessary evil for free membership forums like DC. It's what they have to do to survive. But that doesn't mean that members have to be subjected to ads. We can choose to block them if we like.

Have you tried AdBlock Plus? I have nothing to do with the makers, so I'm not a paid shill endorsing it. I've just had very good luck using it and recommend it to others because of my own experience. I think it's supported by pretty much every browser out there. I use Google Chrome, and I literally see ZERO ads on DC or any other web site I visit.

Last edited:
I realize ads are a necessary evil, but it's a fact that several members have problems here they don't encounter elsewhere... for whatever reason. It might alsu have something to do with the version of vB the different forums run.

No, I have not tried it. Like I said in my earlier post, it apparently isn't offered for IE yet.

Chrome, adblock plus and no issues here.

It's amazing how much different the web looks if you turn off your ad blocker! I understand the need for ads, but if there is a problem with a site, 9 times out of 10 it is related to an ad.

This problem is persistent, I was using the laptop to make a post to DC this morning and after I got done with a very lengthy post and hit send. It went to cyberspace and I got a screen that said the website was not responding and could not be loaded. That peeved me, since my memory is about a nano second long and I don't feel like redoing the whole post. :(. But I tried my iPhone which I usually post from and there were issues there too...not loading, parse errors etc. I am going to see what we have for ad blockers on the laptop....

Can those of you with issues post up about what browser you use and what version?

Hi Janet, I am getting the "long script running" notice, and then losing posts after sending. I am using IE8. Thanks for working on this. :) I am going to see if I am still having trouble from my IPhone and will post if I do.

I'm running IE 10.
It seems to have momentarily stopped on my work PC, which I am on now. I did not like the way S&P's do not track me link reacted with this computer... giving me a redirect, so I uninstalled it. And I did get the long running script message yesterday and earlier today, but not now.

Spike did install the ad blockers. Unfortunately, they don't allow for emoticons. So my Angel does not show up. And right now that angel is very important to me. So I will put up with the problem as long as I can. I need that angel.

I didn't think people still used Internet Explorer... wow.

Firefox with AdBlock Edge (Not Adblock Plus) and Ghostery is where it's at. Pale Moon if you have a 64 bit computer.

Or heck, even Chrome, it has an Adblock Plus add-on too.

Anything is better than IE...

Last edited:
I didn't think people still used Internet Explorer... wow.

Firefox with AdBlock Edge (Not Adblock Plus) and Ghostery is where it's at. Pale Moon if you have a 64 bit computer.

Or heck, even Chrome, it has an Adblock Plus add-on too.

Anything is better than IE...

Us old timers stick with what we are comfortable with. :angel:

"Us old timers stick with what we are comfortable with."

You've got that right Addie.

I haven't been "where it's at" for a long time. :rolleyes:

Actually I haven't wanted to be.

I'm very happy right where I am. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom