New ads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
>> refused to download

don't know about Chrome, but the FireFox download is an .exe file (executable) and some anti-virus software will block .exe files - malicious .exe are dangerous - you should be able to say "Yes, I know what I'm doing, download it anyway...."

how is it that no one besides me is having a problem with an ff download? yes, i'm stupid but still...last year this time i'd never even seen a computer in person, and in some ways life was much simpler that way...last night i spent nearly a solid two hours attempting to download ff - at least six separate tries. my chrome browser won't "acknowledge" this site, and without an icon i didn't know how to access ff once the download was complete. then i tried using my ie to download ff again, but eventually learned that ie blocked my attempt for "security reasons". so now it seems i have the ff icons only i still am unable to access the site. i also tried several default browser changes, back and forth, (between google chrome and ie) also with no success. at this point i am just venting or ranting - i don't expect any help from any of you for this ff debacle of mine. i'm not understanding 96% of the technical language and references contained in this thread anyhow. okay, cyber rage is all gone now....(smile)

vitauta, when you open IE and then go to the Mozilla download you should see the Download Now thing to click on. After that, you should get a little pop up window that says open or save, choose save and there should be a little icon that will automatically show up on your desktop page. You might have to tell the computer where to save it, and if you do, choose to save it on your desktop. Once you have done that, double click on that icon and open Firefox. It should walk you through the download from there and you can choose to make it your default browser and then choose the Add ons you like. I only run two add ons, AdBlockPlus and Colorful tabs.

Does that help at all?

thank you, alix, for your helpful directions with the ff download. you are a peach. i was able to understand and follow your instructions just fine because you were able to simplify the whole procedure for me. i am using ff right now. but i do think, despite all the hoopla, i'm most likely returning to chrome, coz "i just can't drive fifty-five"...i've become so addicted to chrome's speed! the whole time i was using ie last night and this morning, its exasperating and interminable hesitations, its balks and slow moving ways, were all driving me up the wall - i couldn't wait to get away from ie and back to chrome. but for right now, i've got ff and i'm good. thanx to you, alix, i'm good for now....

Do you have the Adblock extension loaded? FF alone will not get rid of ads. It is the Adblock extension that does it.

I get a pop up with this very attractive girl who wants to chat with me. "Hey" You're Cute" What 'cha doin'?" You would think she'd get the message now after a few weeks of me not responding. Is she that desparate?:rolleyes:;):LOL:

Last edited:
I get a pop up with this very attractive girl who wants to chat with me. "Hey" You're Cute" What 'cha doin'?" You would think she'd get the message now after a few weeks of me not responding. Is she that desparate?:rolleyes:;):LOL:

She wouldn't leave me alone either.

Sometimes the ad networks get ads injected that are over the top, or even malicious.

I will pass this thread higher up so it can be looked into. Do you remember the product the ad was for?

Hey Frank, you still around? I haven't heard from you in a while... :huh:

Tonight's latest.

DC malicious stuff.jpg

Does Discuss Cooking really need to be running programs when I'm just viewing a thread?

What did the higher ups have to say with the malicious ads some of us are getting?

I am still here.

The problem can be we don't have a lot of say in the actual ads on the network. We can report them upstream (that is above my pay grade) but what the ads are and such can be tricky at best.

Fred, shot in the dark. Go to Edit Options and scroll down to the last item. "Turn off right column"

I am still here.

The problem can be we don't have a lot of say in the actual ads on the network. We can report them upstream (that is above my pay grade) but what the ads are and such can be tricky at best.

Hey, how ya been?
Yeah, I thought you were going to report it upstream. That's why I asked what was going on with it. And tricky is an understatement :LOL:

Fred, shot in the dark. Go to Edit Options and scroll down to the last item. "Turn off right column"

Andy, where are edit options?

I must be having a brain fart here, Andy.
I found edit options (thank you), but the last thing I have listed is tagging options. I can't seem to find turn off right column, but I bet that will fix my and Bea's problems here. It's always that right side that has the ads (and apparently programs) that load themselves and start running.

Can you give me a screenshot?

I must be having a brain fart here, Andy.
I found edit options (thank you), but the last thing I have listed is tagging options. I can't seem to find turn off right column, but I bet that will fix my and Bea's problems here. It's always that right side that has the ads (and apparently programs) that load themselves and start running.

Can you give me a screenshot?

I can turn it off for you if you would like me to.:angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom