Now you can see your karma points?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sometime I see them and other times I do not. I am not sure why though. They will be visible for a few weeks and then gone again.

I still don't understand the "Karma" thing. Yes, I've gotten a lot of "karma" posts thanking me for recipes or comments, & I appreciate that. But when I like a recipe or a comment, I post on the thread & thank the poster publically. And if I have something to say that I only want them to read, I send them a private message.

What, exactly, is the point of "Karma"? Or is there a point?

Not really. Its mostly just another way to give a "pat on the back". Its a bit more private, so you can say something you wouldn't post on the open boards.

I still don't understand the "Karma" thing. Yes, I've gotten a lot of "karma" posts thanking me for recipes or comments, & I appreciate that. But when I like a recipe or a comment, I post on the thread & thank the poster publically. And if I have something to say that I only want them to read, I send them a private message.

A PM is more involved. It can often times turn into a conversation (nothing wrong with that of course). But if you just want to pass a quick note along to someone without making them feel like they need to respond then karma is a great way to do it.

Karma is generally a very short note. A few words or maybe a sentence. Rarely is karma longer than that. A PM is usually longer than just a few words or a sentence.

Variety is the spice of life. PM and karma can be different ways of doing the same thing. Nothing wrong with using either.

I don't think there is really a point to karma except to give the recipient a warm, fuzzy feeling. It's a great way to thank someone for help as an alternative to posting it. Often times, when I post asking for help with something, lots of people jump in to help. That's one of the best things about DC. But it would make threads really long if I posted a thank you on the board to each person who replied. There's nothing at all wrong with doing that - karma is just another way to do it. A PM is another way, too. One thing I like about karma is that the recipient doesn't know they have gotten it unless and until they check. So it's kind of a little surprise that I hope will give them a smile or a little boost when they do see it. I don't completely understand the points but they don't really matter (except to BuckyTom:LOL:). No one knows how many points you or I have except us. But because you have been the recipient of karma from many people, it should tell you that you are highly valued here!

OK guys - I think it's time to get back to this being a thread about karma - do you want me to take all these "other" posts and place them in their own thread in the Off Topic and Joke Forum?

can we call the new thread "gw has karma envy" ;) {{{running awayyyy>>>>>

I gots me a brand new potato gun, homemade of course, capable of lauching a spud (or gell filled balloon (gell made from some very old fish stock)) about 2000 miles or so. It's got GPS guidance tuned in to the particular electrical area of one BuckyTom's house. I don't have to worry about it homing in on the wrong target as it knows that Joisey aroma and has picture recognition techology that is tuned to that Charlie Brown shaped head (We know that BT only wishes he had the panache of Homer Simpson. He does have the IQ of Jessica Simpson though:ROFLMAO:).

I tried to bury the hatchet (and not into BT) and offered to meet at MudBug's hot tub with some good steaks and a little freindly competition.:angel: I tried to take the high road. But those East-Coast boys, well they just have a history of mixin' it up. I mean, they've been famous thoughout U.S. history, aka the Bowrey Boys, West-Side Story with the Jets, Marlon Brando in "On the Waterfront", just to name a few. And we know that New Jersey is the twin of New York, but without the fame and fortune, which leaves them 2nd best in that genre.

So let's all send poor BT some karma points to help mollify his perpetually deflated ego.:(:-p Oh wait, I used an uncommon word, mollify. I wonder if I've lost poor BT.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeeya buddy;); Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom