"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-12-2014, 09:03 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Oversized Pictures

What is it with all the oversized pictures lately? I make sure I reduce all my pictures to post in the forum down to 4x6 so that it fits and no one has to go back and forth to read a single line of prose. It is not that hard to do. When I upload a picture from my camera, I edit it right then and there. That way if I want to send it to the forum, it is ready to go.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:59 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,456
I've had that problem too. Glad to know it isn't just me. It's annoying when a thread will be normal size until one of these pictures gets posted and then all the following posts stay stretched out.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:59 AM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 4,402
Another forum I frequent just addressed this issue. Now every picture is automatically resized and has the caption "click to enlarge" scrolled across the top of the resized picture. Every file upload of a picture is addressed in this manner.

It seems the problem is many folks just do not know how to size a photo. So now that forum does it for them.
I used to hate those sometimes extra large photos. Having to scroll from side to side. Sometimes I think some people did it on purpose.
Now, no matter the size, the forum controls make sure every picture is the exact same size. If you want a bigger view, just click it.

I am certain it could be done here easily. But since a simple public thanks/like button is to much trouble, I highly doubt you will see any change in picture size on the part of the forum.
It will have to be the poster to size his or her pictures accordingly.
Roll_Bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:08 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 24,700
I use the "attach image" option in the advanced reply screen and the forum does resize the images, just as you describe, RB. It opens a new window where you can select a bunch of photos from your computer.

If mine appear too large, please let me know. They don't appear that way to me.

Addie, I hope you never want to print one of those photos. They won't look good at a lower resolution and you can't reverse the process. When I want to resize a photo, I do it on a copy.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:34 AM   #5
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 6,345
Well, I assume I'm one of these culprits, so please don't beat around the bush. I'll just respond directly.

DC always used to automatically re-size photos rather than show the whole image full size. I don't know when that changed, but I suspect it's just a forum setting that was inadvertently turned off during a recent maintenance update. Maybe one of the admins can turn it back on again.

I don't like uploading photos directly to DC because that takes up server hard drive space. Instead I prefer to use my regular photo site (my phone automatically uploads images to there) and just linking to the photo.

And Addie... what in the heck are you talking about when you say 4x6? 4x6 what... inches... feet... cubits? FYI, computer images are measured in PIXELS, and pixel sizes vary from one device to another.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:52 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,456
I'm sure it's just a tech problem. As mentioned, photos were always either resized or the poster was informed it was too big to fit.

Let's be patient. I'm sure it will be fixed soon. We have a great tech team.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #7
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 6,345
Zhizara, I think you're right. I haven't changed anything about the way I post pictures here for three years. But it does seems like they are not re-sizing the way they used to.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:26 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Zhizara, I think you're right. I haven't changed anything about the way I post pictures here for three years. But it does seems like they are not re-sizing the way they used to.
+1 I suspect I'm someone your talking about too Addie.
I also upload all my pics to photobucket.com and they have been fine until recently. Addie, until it's fixed you can always use Ctrl - to reduce so you can read the whole text.

I think everyone enjoys pictures and I'd hate for anyone who goes to the trouble of posting pics, be put off by this post.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #9
Certifiable Executive Chef
 
Janet H's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 3,783
Can you please post links to places where you see these?
__________________
Forget love... I'd rather fall in chocolate!
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:07 PM   #10
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 6,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Can you please post links to places where you see these?
Janet, try this one.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ml#post1363032

As mentioned, this just started recently. The forum software used to automatically resize linked photos if they were wider than 500-ish pixels.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:17 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,456
Here's another, Katie:

Your Coffee Mug - Page 4 - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:24 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,016
Oversized Pictures

I've noticed it in Steve's and S&P's recent food pics. Other pics seem to be the little postage-stamp size, that need to be clicked on to enlarge. I just figured it was the DC app update to the new iPad. BTW, I like the big pictures.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:33 PM   #13
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,427
When I down load them from our camera into our photo program, I always crop if necessary and resize to 4x6 inches before they are uploaded. It is a habit developed when we were heavily into emerald tree boa breeding. We took hundreds and hundreds of photos.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus and C. batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:48 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 13,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I'm sure it's just a tech problem. As mentioned, photos were always either resized or the poster was informed it was too big to fit.

Let's be patient. I'm sure it will be fixed soon. We have a great tech team.
I noticed that too. Before, everything I uploaded from Dropbox was posted in a "frame" that had no white space to the right of the image. Now there is a lot of empty space before you get to that right border in the "attached image" box. I haven't been doing anything different. If all else fails, blame the software.
__________________
“You shouldn’t wait to be senile before you become eccentric.”— Helene Truter

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:25 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
I haven't had a pic too big in a while, including the links posted by Steve Kroll.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:28 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,016
I just posted a pic in "What Are You Doing". I took it with iPad rather than the phone, and it looks pretty big too.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #17
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 4,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I use the "attach image" option in the advanced reply screen and the forum does resize the images, just as you describe, RB. It opens a new window where you can select a bunch of photos from your computer.
If mine appear too large, please let me know. They don't appear that way to me.
I do it the same way. Upload from computer. I have a Photobucket account but its not as easy as uploading.
I guess I never used it enough to learn how to properly share/post photos.
I have never seen an over sized photo posted by you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
When I down load them from our camera into our photo program, I always crop if necessary and resize to 4x6 inches before they are uploaded. It is a habit developed when we were heavily into emerald tree boa breeding. We took hundreds and hundreds of photos.
How do you get an option for a 4x6" photo? I have to select pixel count.
Roll_Bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:22 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Well, I assume I'm one of these culprits, so please don't beat around the bush. I'll just respond directly.

DC always used to automatically re-size photos rather than show the whole image full size. I don't know when that changed, but I suspect it's just a forum setting that was inadvertently turned off during a recent maintenance update. Maybe one of the admins can turn it back on again.

I don't like uploading photos directly to DC because that takes up server hard drive space. Instead I prefer to use my regular photo site (my phone automatically uploads images to there) and just linking to the photo.

And Addie... what in the heck are you talking about when you say 4x6? 4x6 what... inches... feet... cubits? FYI, computer images are measured in PIXELS, and pixel sizes vary from one device to another.


Sorry about that. Inches Steve. Before I upload a picture to DC. I always go in and reduce it to 4x6 inches. It is the perfect size for this site. I have some photo paper that is 5x7 inches and 4x6 inches. I often print out pics for the family in those two sizes. The program I have in my computer is from Kodak and it allows me to edit my pictures. From shading, creating a different background to cropping. I crop all my pics for DC.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #19
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 4,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Sorry about that. Inches Steve. Before I upload a picture to DC. I always go in and reduce it to 4x6 inches. It is the perfect size for this site. I have some photo paper that is 5x7 inches and 4x6 inches. I often print out pics for the family in those two sizes. The program I have in my computer is from Kodak and it allows me to edit my pictures. From shading, creating a different background to cropping. I crop all my pics for DC.
Please explain how one sizes a picture in inches? I must adjust pixel count (horizontal and vertical) to adjust my pictures.
If there is a way to size a picture to inches, I want to know how to do it.

Thanks
Roll_Bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:26 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Please explain how one sizes a picture in inches? I must adjust pixel count (horizontal and vertical) to adjust my pictures.
If there is a way to size a picture to inches, I want to know how to do it.

Thanks
You have to have the software that offers that option. I use iPhoto and can crop to 4x6, 3x5, etc.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.