Post Linking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skilletlicker

Head Chef
On the FAQ page of this site under "Are there any special codes/tags..." there is a link to "more information about vB code". There under "Post Linking" it says:
The [post] tag allows you to link to posts by specifying the post id. You can include an optional parameter to 'name' your link.Usage[post]postid[/post]
[post=postid]value[/post] Example Usagehttps://upgrade.discusscooking.com/index.php?posts/269302/
Click Me!
(Note: The threadid/postid is just an example and may not link to a valid thread/post.) Example Outputhttp://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showthread.php?p=269302#post269302
Click Me!
My question is, [highlight]Where do I find the postid?[/highlight]
The original question I was looking for in the FAQ was, I know how to link to a thread. How do I link to a specific post within a thread?
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
skilletlicker said:
My question is, [highlight]Where do I find the postid?[/highlight]
The original question I was looking for in the FAQ was, I know how to link to a thread. How do I link to a specific post within a thread?
Thanks for your help.
You can find that in the address bar of the thread. The numbers represent the postid.

postid.png.xs.jpg

MJ said:
You can find that in the address bar of the thread. The numbers represent the postid.

postid.png.xs.jpg
MJ Thanks for reply. Please try to be patient with me 'cause I'm not too sharp.
When I'm in a thread and scroll up and down to read the various posts, the address bar in my browser doesn't change. I thought that I might be able to click on the thread number in the upper right of the post box, and then use the post number in the newly opened window, but that seemed to work very erratically. In fact it usually seemed to link to a completely different thread.
Also when I said in my post I knew how to link to a thread not a post I didn't realize that I was using a tag to do it. I guess I don't understand the syntax of either the [thread] tag or the [post] tag.

Last edited:
skilletlicker said:
MJ Thanks for reply. Please try to be patient with me 'cause I'm not too sharp.
When I'm in a thread and scroll up and down to read the various posts the address bar in my browser doesn't change. I thought that I might be able to click on the thread number in the upper right of the post box, and then get use the post number in the newly opened window, but that seemed to work very erratically. In fact it usually seemed to link to a completely different thread.
Also when I said in my post I knew how to link to a thread not a post I didn't realize that I was using a tag to do it. I guess I don't unde...w.discusscooking.com/forums/283847-post3.html

Single Post

You mean like that?

Sometimes things don't work like they should around here.:rolleyes:

Feel free to practice in this thread if you want.:)

MJ, That works and is, as far as I can see, the same as linking to the URL of the page that opens when you click on # in the upper right. Not the same as code or tags (I'm a littly hazy on which is which) described in the quoted vB section of the FAQ, but it works and thats good enough for me.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom