"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-27-2019, 01:54 PM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Recipes Make Magic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 425
Posting pics? Procedure?

Please help - I have very limited PC skills & need to know how to obtain the URL of a photo (which is asked for when I click on the picture icon in this forum). The pic is in my PC's' Pictures Library"

__________________
Regards,
Paul
Recipes Make Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:02 PM   #2
Executive Chef
 
dragnlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,386
there is a short cut way which I use, compliments of ... umm Andy or Craig?

While you are in "Reply to Thread" scroll down to "Additional Options".
Second box down it says "Attach Files"
In that box clic on 'Manage Attachments'

a box will open up that says..
Choose Files, clic there and you can go to your pictures, clic on the one you want. You can add several, hold the Ctl key or do them separately.
Follow instructions after that.

But there are a few limitations - I can't turn my pic around and I'm sure there are other things but this works for me.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:14 PM   #3
Senior Cook
 
Recipes Make Magic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
there is a short cut way which I use, compliments of ... umm Andy or Craig?

While you are in "Reply to Thread" scroll down to "Additional Options".
Second box down it says "Attach Files"
In that box clic on 'Manage Attachments'

a box will open up that says..
Choose Files, clic there and you can go to your pictures, clic on the one you want. You can add several, hold the Ctl key or do them separately.
Follow instructions after that.

But there are a few limitations - I can't turn my pic around and I'm sure there are other things but this works for me.
Many thanks - I'll give it a try
__________________
Regards,
Paul
Recipes Make Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:36 PM   #4
Senior Cook
 
Recipes Make Magic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 425
ok - everything seemed to work out the way you described - right up to 'click on the one you want'


there were no instructions following that, at least none that I could see and understand,


when I went back to the 'addt'l options' section, under ' attach files'
this had appeared: verbatim - it looked like a link, which said:

IMG_762_ enchiladas(2).JPG(82.3KB)

(this is a photo of my chicken enchiladas, which I want to post)


Is that a URL ?


What do I do now to get it into the reply box - ?
__________________
Regards,
Paul
Recipes Make Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:45 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 24,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recipes Make Magic View Post
ok - everything seemed to work out the way you described - right up to 'click on the one you want'


there were no instructions following that, at least none that I could see and understand,


when I went back to the 'addt'l options' section, under ' attach files'
this had appeared: verbatim:


IMG_762_ enchiladas(2).JPG(82.3KB)

(above is a photo of my chicken enchiladas)


Is that a URL ?


What do I do now to get it into the reply box - ?
Using the Attachments feature is a different way to get the image into the post. Just finish and post and your photo should be there.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:05 PM   #6
Senior Cook
 
Recipes Make Magic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 425
Many thanks GG - it worked - as you likely already know.
I thought I needed to somehow move the link of the picture that appeared, into the 'reply to thread' box first - it obviously gets moved there automatically.
__________________
Regards,
Paul
Recipes Make Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:32 PM   #7
Executive Chef
 
dragnlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,386
Sorry - should have mentioned that.

You can always "Preview Post" to check on your pic.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:48 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 24,676
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Previewing the post is a good idea, especially when there is a picture.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:53 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 24,676
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
You could also make an album in your profile here and upload the picture. Go to "User CP" and in the left column, there is a link for "Pictures & Albums". Once you have uploaded your picture there, have a look at the picture. Below the picture you should see the URL for the picture.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:02 PM   #10
Senior Cook
 
Recipes Make Magic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
You could also make an album in your profile here and upload the picture. Go to "User CP" and in the left column, there is a link for "Pictures & Albums". Once you have uploaded your picture there, have a look at the picture. Below the picture you should see the URL for the picture.
Thanks, that's very helpful.
__________________
Regards,
Paul
Recipes Make Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:09 PM   #11
Senior Cook
 
bbqcoder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 446
Another option which is what I do for most forums is to post the picture to imgur. They will give you links that you can use on websites/forums.
bbqcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:27 PM   #12
Senior Cook
 
Recipes Make Magic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
You could also make an album in your profile here and upload the picture. Go to "User CP" and in the left column, there is a link for "Pictures & Albums". Once you have uploaded your picture there, have a look at the picture. Below the picture you should see the URL for the picture.
Ok, but once I've opened the link to Albums & Pictures, there are no instructions -at least I don't see any - what's the procedure to upload pictures - how exactly do I go about doing that ?
__________________
Regards,
Paul
Recipes Make Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:13 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 24,676
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recipes Make Magic View Post
Ok, but once I've opened the link to Albums & Pictures, there are no instructions -at least I don't see any - what's the procedure to upload pictures - how exactly do I go about doing that ?
I don't remember what it looks like without any albums or pictures. Do you see anything that says "Add Album" or "Upload Pictures"?
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:52 PM   #14
Senior Cook
 
Recipes Make Magic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I don't remember what it looks like without any albums or pictures. Do you see anything that says "Add Album" or "Upload Pictures"?
No - absolutely nothing - this is what's so frustrating for a limited PC skills person - I need someone to tell me what I need to do, or go to, to upload pics from my library of Docs or Pics - a precise procedure.
__________________
Regards,
Paul
Recipes Make Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:08 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 14,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
...You can always "Preview Post" to check on your pic.
That might work only on a laptop? I know when I post from my phone, I haven't found a way to "preview" before I submit for a post.
__________________
“You shouldn’t wait to be senile before you become eccentric.”— Helene Truter

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:26 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 24,676
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recipes Make Magic View Post
No - absolutely nothing - this is what's so frustrating for a limited PC skills person - I need someone to tell me what I need to do, or go to, to upload pics from my library of Docs or Pics - a precise procedure.
This is what the FAQ says about it: Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums - FAQ: User Profile Features

What does it look like when you click the Albums & Pictures link?
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:13 AM   #17
Senior Cook
 
Recipes Make Magic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
This is what the FAQ says about it: Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums - FAQ: User Profile Features

What does it look like when you click the Albums & Pictures link?
Thanks for taking the time to help me learn something new.

With this 'albums' feature, I just had a dumb brain lapse - finally realized that all I had to do was fill in the 3 small boxes that arose in order to actually open a new album - i.e. select from the menu of various food categories, give the album a title, and briefly identify it's use/purpose.

Once that was done, an album was created, which then produced action when clicking on the 'upload pics' feature by bringing up the 'browse' box - so simple - all the while I was stupidly looking for instructions to tell me what to do, instead of just completing the boxes shown after clicking on the 'albums' feature.

So, I finally got it done - thanks again.
__________________
Regards,
Paul
Recipes Make Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:06 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 24,676
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
There are advantages to storing pix on DC. A while back one of the hosting companies changed its policies. I think you couldn't link your pix unless you had a paid subscription. In any case, a whole bunch of picture links here quit working. That won't happen with pix hosted here.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:09 AM   #19
Executive Chef
 
dragnlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
There are advantages to storing pix on DC. A while back one of the hosting companies changed its policies. I think you couldn't link your pix unless you had a paid subscription. In any case, a whole bunch of picture links here quit working. That won't happen with pix hosted here.
LOL... Careful taxy! I was once a member of another very popular forum, when it closed I lost a fair amount of info. (but at least my pics were on my 'puter) Never say never!
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:10 AM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 47,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
There are advantages to storing pix on DC. A while back one of the hosting companies changed its policies. I think you couldn't link your pix unless you had a paid subscription. In any case, a whole bunch of picture links here quit working. That won't happen with pix hosted here.
I've never used a photo hosting service. Never felt the need. All my photos are on my laptop. When I want to post a photo, DC's software allows me to select photo from my photo files and post it here. Although my photos are full-sized, DC's software resizes it so it works here. Easy peasy.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.