Privacy/Security tips & faqs for DC members

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've seen them on sale at Safeway stores 10 for $1! But I buy mine at a local Asian market. There's one entire side of an aisle there, fifty feet long, four shelves, with nothing but single serve packages of instant ramen. There must be 200 kinds from 5 countries. A smaller selection of frozen and refrigerated, ramen packages, are available too.

Sometimes I don't use the soup packets, if I have an alternative on hand. (Bouillon cubes and soup-in-a-can are no better as alternatives.) And then I save the packets as "seasoning blends" to sprinkle elsewhen.

The "pilaf style" is great for kids. Don't open the package, and crumble the dried noodles inside. Then, open and boil just the noodles briefly, less than a minute. Drain. And, you'll only need to sprinkle and mix maybe half the soup packet to finish it to taste. No broth. They'll spoon it all up like mac-n-cheese.

Here's one of my goofy creations that I call "French Onion Ramen"...
1. in olive oil, on low heat, soften long thin slices of onion, until dark brown
2. add a little garlic powder half way through, also add a pinch of sugar to help the carmelization
3. deglaze with just a splash of red wine, about a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar, and a couple drops of worchester sauce
4. instant ramen - beef flavor
5. add water per two cup instructions, bring to simmer
6. add half the soup seasoning packet, taste, add more to taste, likewise vinegar
7. bring to boil, cook dried noodles per instructions
8. finish with small handful of finely chopped green onion
9. serve in traditional ramen bowl, topped with a few shavings of parmesan cheese

Kayelle, sneaking out from the shadows, or is it out of the closet, to proclaim my love for Ramen........I feel so liberated !

Spork, I'm sooooo going to try that!! Try breaking an egg into the broth...don't stir. By the time the noodles are done, the egg is soft poached......comfort food.

Back
Top Bottom