Required Field - Location

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael in FtW

Master Chef
Moderator Emeritus
It would sure help in answering some questions if "Location" was a required field in the user profile. For example, it does little good to suggest Hellman's Mayo to someone living in CA - or suggesting an Ace Hardware Store for someone living in the UK as a local source for a cast iron skillet.

Michael, I agree that it would be nice if we knew where people were planted. It might even start some great regional and cultural chats.

As for gender, Texas, I think that's more of a personal issue, don't you?

jkath, yes, your right, it is a personal issue, but, if we had the option to show it, I wouldn't care, if I had a neutral type of id on here, for showing that I'm female. So, not a required just give a choice to add it.

Why is sharing gender a "personal issue"? You're either one or the other, or you're one who wishes they were the other. So just spit it out! I think not acknowledging either s*e*x is carrying political correctness to the extreme!

Humm ... never knew this would start such a lively debate on such a totally unrelated topic! :ermm:

In the "old" days "gender" and "s e x" ment the same thing ... these days it's not always the same ... you can be "cross gendered" - be one s e x (male or female) and be the other gendered. For example - male but female gendered, or female and male gendered.

Given where they live ... I can understand where jkath would have a different understanding of "gender" from texasgirl.

Yeah, Dove - "planted" might be a little extreme :rolleyes: ... maybe "where you live" or are "rooted" might be a better choice of words?

- regarding "planted" - I'm talking about the "grow where you're planted" kind of thing...either that or I've been around my husband too long (works at a cemetary)

regarding gender, I do remember a post a while back where the poster did not say what they were, and said that it was on purpose.

Also, I thought Sushi was a woman when I first got on, but figured it out after a few postings.

It's never hindered my opinion of anyone by knowing their gender. I honestly don't care, so long as they're nice.

michaelFTW, it's really not a good idea to disclose exactly where you live over the internet or over the phone. i sure as heck wouldn't, not under any circumstances. there are some real whack jobs out there.
you really have to be careful and watch out for yourself. elf is the only one who knows my both my e-mail addys and my phone number, and i intend to keep it that way. one other person DOES have my phone #, but that's it.
if a site requires my address or phone number, i usually log off immediately and don't return.
i don't think i'm the only one.
as for gender, welp, that isn't such a big deal to me. to avoid confusion, i made my avatar pink.

Last edited:
luvs_food said:
michaelFTW, it's really not a good idea to disclose exactly where you live over the internet or over the phone. i sure as heck wouldn't, not under any circumstances. there are some real whack jobs out there.
you really have to be careful and watch out for yourself.

:( That is true, you will not see me giving out my real name, photos, state, address, etc. on the net.

You are a man, and perhaps you have less to worry about, but women need to be careful.

Perhaps if this was a closed forum without lurkers, and after I had known the members here for upteen years, I might give out a little more info.

But not as it stands.:glare:

choclatechef said:
:( That is true, you will not see me giving out my real name, photos, state, address, etc. on the net.

You are a man, and perhaps you have less to worry about, but women need to be careful.

Perhaps if this was a closed forum without lurkers, and after I had known the members here for upteen years, I might give out a little more info.

But not as it stands.:glare:

You are exactly right chocolatechef. I don't mind telling people what state I live in, but I wouldn't want to be required to say much more - at least until I get to know who I'm talking to a bit better. And if these things are a requirement to create a profile, then you don't know anyone very well at that time.

BC

it's sad to say that you just can't be careful enough about ANYTHING in this day and age, period. ESPECIALLY the internet.
even at the bar, i won't leave my drink unattended for any amount of time. i either take it with me regardless of where i go, restroom included, or, if one of the cops i know are there, i'll leave it with them or else ask the bartender to put it behind the bar for me.
you just can't trust people you don't know, and that's a sad, sad thing.

Michael in FtW said:
It would sure help in answering some questions if "Location" was a required field in the user profile. For example, it does little good to suggest Hellman's Mayo to someone living in CA - or suggesting an Ace Hardware Store for someone living in the UK as a local source for a cast iron skillet.

I guess since location is not a required field we could always ask a person where they are from if they are trying to locate a particular item in their area, or it might be helpful to have location as an optional field.

texasgirl said:
I think that a required field should also be gender. No more embarassing posts.

For me it's irrelevant knowing anyone's gender, but it might be a good idea to have it as an optional field as you mentioned.

Hey everyone!

I aksed for the Gender field a couple of months ago. But, havent heard anymore on it! I do not think it should be a required feild, but have it there as an option!!! And Hey Michael how are ya? I agree with you it should be in the profile but same as the Gender as an option. Because like Amber she would say she was female and so would i, and i also would say i was from Florida. So, to each his own. Im not sure who could add these options to the profile information. I sure hope they read this thread! And, agree with us! :chef: :) :chef:

Ace Hardware

Some of us know Ace Hardware here in the Uk
But thats because the are part of a wheel manufacturing company that I purchase 12" wheels from and ship them to the Uk

That's good to know Vernon. I think what was originally meant is if we recommend a great place to buy Lodge iron skillets we wouldn't suggest Ace Hardware to anyone in the UK. You'd have to want one pretty badly to have one shipped - I can only imagine what the shipping charges would be! :wacko:

Ace Hardware

We actually bought 1200 wheels. I just thought it funny that you mentioned the Uk and Ace Hardware
Kind Regards

Heat said:
I aksed for the Gender field a couple of months ago. But, havent heard anymore on it! I do not think it should be a required feild, but have it there as an option!!!

Well as much as the lovely and talented females vs single men like me ratio is encouraging, this is still not a dating site so I think the gender field would be a little redundant. Besides you gotta love a little mistery like with Chocolate Chef.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom