Thanks Button?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roll_Bones

Master Chef
I am a member at two other forums. Both have a "thanks" button for each post.
Its an easy way to let the person posting know you are in agreement, or to thank the poster without having to make a new post.

The forum controls look to be the same as these other forums and it seems a "thanks" button might be a nice addition to this forum.

Just a suggestion.

I am a member at two other forums. Both have a "thanks" button for each post.
Its an easy way to let the person posting know you are in agreement, or to thank the poster without having to make a new post.

The forum controls look to be the same as these other forums and it seems a "thanks" button might be a nice addition to this forum.

Just a suggestion.
Um, there is a Thanks button. It's to the left of the Quote button. It sends a private thank you to the member who posted.

What I want is a "Like" button, like FB. That way other people can see that I liked the post, without me having to quote the message.

Um, there is a Thanks button. It's to the left of the Quote button. It sends a private thank you to the member who posted.

What I want is a "Like" button, like FB. That way other people can see that I liked the post, without me having to quote the message.

I've never liked the Thanks button. I thought it replaced a well working system and like you said, now we get a PM. Half the time I get Thanked I'm opening a PM that doesn't even say anything (no message from the "thanker").
I'm on a VB forum that has a Like button (hidden, you have to mouse over it) that lets anyone know you liked the post and lets the poster know, too. Without taking up PM space. And like our old system, your Likes are kept tally of. Also how many times you Liked.
Not a big fan of our Thanks button.

Yes. I have used the existing thanks button before. But its more a PM than a thanks button. I think it should be removed personally.

A "like" button is basically the same thing as a "thanks" button. This is what I mean by a thanks button.

I should have used "Like" instead of "Thanks" in my title. Since we already have a "Thanks" button that is actually a PM button....:LOL:

Maybe a moderator could make this change for me?

Last edited:
The thanks button is not just a PM button. Click on User CP to see a list of your thanks.

Moderators cannot make those kinds of changes. That needs to go to the "Help Desk" so IT sees the request.

A change now will affect a post or two addressing the title.
Just sayin'.

There's a thanks button? It must be on the PC site because there isn't one on the tablet application. I'll have to go fire up the computer and have a look.

The Thanks button is not available on the mobile version. It is intended to be interactive and not a reputation or "like" button. We've found that the thanks message is more important to a poster than the score keeping aspect of the like button and it's one of those little things that makes DC a little different than most sites. You can use the thanks button without sending the PM - just don't fill in the box... ;)

Last edited:
Since I most often use the mobile ap, I am missing thanking people. I feel bad about that, I don't want anyone to think I am a snob or not thankful for their comments. So all of you consider yourselves thanked! ?

The Thanks button is not available on the mobile version. It is intended to be interactive and not a reputation or "like" button. We've found that the thanks message is more important to a poster than the score keeping aspect of the like button and it's one of those little things that makes DC a little different than most sites. You can use the thanks button without sending the PM - just don't fill in the box... ;)

Are you sure about that?
I get "Thanks" PM's that have no text written by the person doing the thanking. I assumed they simply clicked on the Thanks button without typing anything into the field.

After I post this I'll click the Thanks button on your reply. See if you don't get a PM notification that you have been thanked. And if I remember correctly you won't even know what post was thanked without clicking the link within the PM.

Are you sure about that?
I get "Thanks" PM's that have no text written by the person doing the thanking. I assumed they simply clicked on the Thanks button without typing anything into the field.

After I post this I'll click the Thanks button on your reply. See if you don't get a PM notification that you have been thanked. And if I remember correctly you won't even know what post was thanked without clicking the link within the PM.

That's how it works, everyone thank Janet now:devilish:

...And if I remember correctly you won't even know what post was thanked without clicking the link within the PM.
Actually, you can find out. The title of the thread appears as the left-most entry on the line. If you click on the title you go directly to the post that generated the "thanks" from your fellow DCer. TaDa!

That's how it works, everyone thank Janet now:devilish:

Thanks.
The way she worded that I thought that perhaps there was a way to say thanks without generating a PM. Or maybe a setting on the recipient's end to re-direct the Thanks somewhere other than a PM. I'd rather have the Thanks sent to my profile comments.

oops, you're right, CG.
I meant you did not know what post they were thanking.
Back in "the day", when we had karma instead, when you looked at your karma list you could see the sender and the specific post they Karma'd.

ahhh, days gone by...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom