Thanks Button?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now it is just 2 clicks Andy. Click "thanks" then click "send your thanks". The personal message is optional.

...and a third click on OK when the forum tells you your thanks have been sent.

Reactions: GB
Remember dear, dear, Margi? The globe traveling member? She really abused the "Thanks" button. Everyone go a Thanks! It got so bad that I just quit opening them. :angel:

I dont receive any PM's for thanks as it is right now let alone blank ones. I only see thanks when I click User CP

Maybe I should disable mine like Alix mentioned. I just don't want it to affect any other notifications. I'm always getting "blank" PM's. I say "blank" because they aren't actually void of text. Just void of text that's not forum generated like a form letter.

Remember dear, dear, Margi? The globe traveling member? She really abused the "Thanks" button. Everyone go a Thanks! It got so bad that I just quit opening them. :angel:

We have a running joke on another forum that just because you received Likes from [name], doesn't mean you are a popular member. That one guy will pick a thread and run through it Liking every post in it :wacko:

BUT... since it's not a PM it's no big deal. I can receive a dozen Likes from him a night and my PM box won't be affected.

No, but she did overdo it quite a bit. She would send a Thanks for when you stated your score on the Jeopardy quizzes. :angel:
Point taken. I guess I would just take that as a nice thing though. Someone cared enough to thank you for something even if you did not see the need for thanks.

...oops, you're right, CG...
Of course I'm right! I'm ALWAYS right! :huh: Except when I'm wrong...:ROFLMAO:

I've read all four pages on this topic and my take-away is "some want to make this like Facebook?" :ermm: In my opinion, oh heck no. Why? Sometimes I think the purpose of a "like" button is to make the OP feel liked. Guess being popular or liked never really mattered to me so I don't really see a useful purpose of a like button for me. Obviously others' opinions differ. In the past it has also seemed like some posters made "Posts: #" a competition. Um, why? To show that you excel in verbosity? :huh: For me, that's my job in real life. :LOL:

Personally, I prefer having the "thanks" button to use when I want to send a quick note about a specific post to the person who made that post. Much easier than composing a PM and it doesn't affect their PM limit. As I explained to pac, if you want to know which post it is that you're being thanked for you can see that in one click. And it's not a whole lot of trouble to click on the sender's name so that you can continue the conversation if you choose. As far as using the "thanks" button as if it were a FB "like" button, I could probably count the number of times I've done that on one hand. Guess using that "thanks" button shows I'm pretty good at verbosity myself. :-p

Of course I'm right! I'm ALWAYS right! :huh: Except when I'm wrong...:ROFLMAO:

I've read all four pages on this topic and my take-away is "some want to make this like Facebook?" :ermm:

Yes. Apparently. Other than the Baking thread being broken apart I have never seen the admins act upon one new member's request so fast.
Like you must have read, there was really nothing wrong with the old system.

In my opinion, oh heck no. Why? Sometimes I think the purpose of a "like" button is to make the OP feel liked.

Not exactly. It is a way for one person to make one click and agree with, or "Like" the post, without anything further being said.

[snip]

Personally, I prefer having the "thanks" button to use when I want to send a quick note about a specific post to the person who made that post. Much easier than composing a PM and it doesn't affect their PM limit.

How is it easier than composing a PM? You can't even see your full sentence in the small Thanks window. Just a few typed words at a time.
And maybe it doesn't affect your PM limit, but it does mine :huh:
Are you sure?

As I explained to pac, if you want to know which post it is that you're being thanked for you can see that in one click. And it's not a whole lot of trouble to click on the sender's name so that you can continue the conversation if you choose. As far as using the "thanks" button as if it were a FB "like" button, I could probably count the number of times I've done that on one hand. Guess using that "thanks" button shows I'm pretty good at verbosity myself. :-p

Just sayin' ;)

Which is why I also said "Obviously others' opinions differ." my dear pac. :D

If it happens I'll be indifferent to it. Unless no one likes my posts.
depressed.gif

Which is why I also said "Obviously others' opinions differ." my dear pac. :D

If it happens I'll be indifferent to it. Unless no one likes my posts.
depressed.gif

no, no, no... that's why I broke it down.
Maybe the forum work differently for you. Are you using a PC or tablet/phone device? Because I can't believe your Thanks aren't counting against your fifty allowed PM's... They sure are mine.

Thanks dont affect my PMs either. I neither get nor send PM's for thanks.

Interesting. I just clicked on my PM's Inbox to make double check and it's full of "You have been thanked!" subject lines.

To everyone who sent me thanks in this thread, thank you back. And yes I did get the thanks (without any PM's being sent or received from my side).

We truly live blessed lives in that one of our biggest concerns is that we are have to debate the best way to thank out fellow members. I think that right there says a lot about this place :)

To everyone who sent me thanks in this thread, thank you back. And yes I did get the thanks (without any PM's being sent or received from my side).

We truly live blessed lives in that one of our biggest concerns is that we are have to debate the best way to thank out fellow members. I think that right there says a lot about this place :)

I would've hit the like button on this one, but I couldn't find it! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Reactions: GB
I've read all four pages on this topic and my take-away is "some want to make this like Facebook?" :ermm:

You would be incorrect. No one wants it to be anything like facebook. Especially me.
Did you take a second to view the examples? If you did, you would see a "thanks" button like pictured and linked are nothing like facebook. Nothing like it.
This is why I recommended a true simple "thanks" button.
Click "thanks" and be on your way to the next post.

When I first joined this forum, I clicked on the "thanks" button a few times. Once I realized what it was, I quit using it.
Now I have to post my agreement or like the others say +1.

I would've hit the like button on this one, but I couldn't find it! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

There are times everyday I am on this forum I would have loved to be able to just click "thanks" and be done with "thanks".

Did you take a second to view the examples? If you did, you would see a "thanks" button like pictured and linked are nothing like facebook. Nothing like it.
I looked at your example. In the example when you click thanks it shows the person who did the thanking. How, exactly, is that not the same thing as clicking "like" on Facebook which then show who clicked like on that post? Other than one being called "thanks" and the other "like" just what exactly are these differences that make you say the two are nothing alike?

There are times everyday I am on this forum I would have loved to be able to just click "thanks" and be done with "thanks".
Why can't you do that now under our current system? OK so it is 2 clicks instead of one, but it is really that much more out of your day to click a button one extra time?

I just realized I haven't thanked so many of you who have been so kind to me!

I'm not a good member when I forget to do that. I'll try to be better.

I belong to a political forum also, and I think there should be a "Dingbat" button there.

With love,
~Cat

I looked at your example. In the example when you click thanks it shows the person who did the thanking. How, exactly, is that not the same thing as clicking "like" on Facebook which then show who clicked like on that post? Other than one being called "thanks" and the other "like" just what exactly are these differences that make you say the two are nothing alike?

Why can't you do that now under our current system? OK so it is 2 clicks instead of one, but it is really that much more out of your day to click a button one extra time?

My point was that this is not an attempt to make this forum like facebook. I was responding to the insinuation that "some" are trying to turn this into, or like facebook.

But I have used both facebook "likes" and my other forums "thanks" and they are not the same.
Liking something on facebook opens up a can of worms, uninvited comments from people I have never met and solicitation from companies selling something.
The "thanks" button does not provide these unwanted extras. They are night and day different.

The current system on DC is not even close to the thanks button I use on the other forums.
No box pops up and no text can be entered.
Besides why should the thanks be hidden from the rest of the forum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom