Thanks Button?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just realized I haven't thanked so many of you who have been so kind to me!

I'm not a good member when I forget to do that. I'll try to be better.

With love,
~Cat

Please thank me later....as my mail box is full right now. So if you thanked me now I'll never find out... Or just wait til we switch over to the simpler "thanks" system...so others can see you've thanked me big time....:D

Last edited:
My point was that this is not an attempt to make this forum like facebook. I was responding to the insinuation that "some" are trying to turn this into, or like facebook.
if it had nothing to do with what they looked like on the surface then why did you ask the poster if they even looked at the attachment you posted. The only information that could be gleamed from that is visual.

Besides why should the thanks be hidden from the rest of the forum.
Because sometimes people want their thanks to be private. Why should they be forced to have it public? It is 6 of one half a dozen of the other.

You also never answered why you can't click thanks and be done with it under the current system. No one is forcing you to write a message. It even says "optional" right on it so there is no ambiguity.

There is a text box in which you can type your thanks when you click on it. I just sent you thanks, Roll Bones.

There is a grammatical error here in DC, I think. When you send your thanks, the pop-up says "Your thanks HAS been sent."

It should say, "Your thanks HAVE been sent." Thanks are plural, yes?

Or am I wrong? English is so hard.

With love,
~Cat

Thank you!

I wondered of this. I trip and fall over English so much one would think I need to begin paying a gravity bill.

With love,
~Cat

Yeah, but that's posting. .....and if a hundred people did that the thread would be several pages long of just thank you notes...
Yeah but we all know you have never gotten 100 thanks in one thread. 80 maybe but not 100 ;)

Roll_Bones 03-23-2014 01:59 PM
Thanks Button?

I am a member at two other forums. Both have a "thanks" button for each post.
Its an easy way to let the person posting know you are in agreement, or to thank the poster without having to make a new post.

The forum controls look to be the same as these other forums and it seems a "thanks" button might be a nice addition to this forum.

Just a suggestion.

taxlady 03-23-2014 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones (Post 1353283)
I am a member at two other forums. Both have a "thanks" button for each post.
Its an easy way to let the person posting know you are in agreement, or to thank the poster without having to make a new post.

The forum controls look to be the same as these other forums and it seems a "thanks" button might be a nice addition to this forum.

Just a suggestion.
Um, there is a Thanks button. It's to the left of the Quote button. It sends a private thank you to the member who posted.

What I want is a "Like" button, like FB. That way other people can see that I liked the post, without me having to quote the message.

pacanis 03-23-2014 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady (Post 1353288)
Um, there is a Thanks button. It's to the left of the Quote button. It sends a private thank you to the member who posted.

What I want is a "Like" button, like FB. That way other people can see that I liked the post, without me having to quote the message.
I've never liked the Thanks button. I thought it replaced a well working system and like you said, now we get a PM. Half the time I get Thanked I'm opening a PM that doesn't even say anything (no message from the "thanker").
I'm on a VB forum that has a Like button (hidden, you have to mouse over it) that lets anyone know you liked the post and lets the poster know, too. Without taking up PM space. And like our old system, your Likes are kept tally of. Also how many times you Liked.
Not a big fan of our Thanks button.

Roll_Bones 03-23-2014 02:21 PM
Quote:

Yes. I have used the existing thanks button before. But its more a PM than a thanks button. I think it should be removed personally.

A "like" button is basically the same thing as a "thanks" button. This is what I mean by a thanks button.

Roll_Bones 03-23-2014 02:36 PM
Quote:

I should have used "Like" instead of "Thanks" in my title. Since we already have a "Thanks" button that is actually a PM button....

Maybe a moderator could make this change for me?

taxlady 03-24-2014 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix (Post 1353536)
I like the 'thanks' format used in another forum thread linked below. Very simple, and to the point. Hope it show up without having to log in for the rest of you.

New York Strip Steak - SV style - The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.
It shows the thank yous, but doesn't show how someone did the thanking.

roadfix 03-24-2014 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady (Post 1353539)
It shows the thank yous, but doesn't show how someone did the thanking.
Oh, ok, there's a "Thanks" button on the right bottom corner of every post. I guess you need to be logged in to see that.

GB 03-24-2014 01:36 PM
I think what taxlady was saying (and TL please correct me if I am wrong) is that it does not allow you to give a reason for the thanks.

CraigC 03-24-2014 01:37 PM
I see it, because I am automatically logged in there.

taxlady 03-24-2014 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB (Post 1353544)
I think what taxlady was saying (and TL please correct me if I am wrong) is that it does not allow you to give a reason for the thanks.
Roadfix had it right. If you want to give a reason, you can quote the post or send a PM.

GB 03-24-2014 01:46 PM
Thanks Taxlady.

pacanis 03-24-2014 01:49 PM
One of the forums I am on the Like button stays hidden unless you scroll over it. It is within a member's post. If you Like the post it will say, "You, name, name and 4 others like this". You can click to see who all liked it. After you Like a post you have the option to Unlike it, too. In that case it is not hidden.
And the best thing is no PM's are sent. You see a notification bar when you log onto the forum. If you click on it it might say, "You received three likes". If you click again that is when you actually leave the page and see the member who Liked your post and a few lines of the post. Otherwise you can simply ignore the Notifications bar and click on it when you feel like it. No annoying pop up either. The Notifications is highlited in orange.

GB 03-24-2014 01:52 PM
OK so I just tried to give you "thanks" taxlady and I got a popup that said "this post has not received any thanks. you have x number of thanks" with x being the amount of time I have been thanked. Weird.

roadfix 03-24-2014 01:56 PM
I just gave myself a thanks. Most other forums will not let you do that, not that it matters.....

Roll_Bones 03-24-2014 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB (Post 1353544)
No reason. No typing. Just click "thanks" and your name appears along with anyone else that has "thanked" the post.

GB. Click on my attempt above and you can see what is presented after someone thanks the post.

GB 03-24-2014 02:17 PM
RB I completely understand what you are saying. I am a member of probably over 50 forums. I am very familiar with the system your are talking about. My comment (which is irrelivant anyway since it was not what Taxlady was talking about) is saying exactly what you are saying. That under that system it just lets the person know they are thanked. It does not (like our current system allows) let the person being thanked know why they are being thanked.

pacanis 03-24-2014 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB (Post 1353559)
RB I completely understand what you are saying. I am a member of probably over 50 forums. I am very familiar with the system your are talking about. My comment (which is irrelivant anyway since it was not what Taxlady was talking about) is saying exactly what you are saying. That under that system it just lets the person know they are thanked. It does not (like our current system allows) let the person being thanked know why they are being thanked.
That, IMO, is the best way.
A person can click one more time, first on the member's username then the PM button, and type until their heart's content if they have anything to say.
This way the Thanks recipient isn't receiving (basically) blank PM's like it's set up now.

GB 03-24-2014 02:47 PM
I dont receive any PM's for thanks as it is right now let alone blank ones. I only see thanks when I click User CP

Andy M. 03-24-2014 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis (Post 1353560)
That, IMO, is the best way.
A person can click one more time, first on the member's username then the PM button, and type until their heart's content if they have anything to say.
This way the Thanks recipient isn't receiving (basically) blank PM's like it's set up now.
+1

The system needs to be simple and quick. If a personal statement is important to you, then make the extra effort to send a PM. Otherwise, just click one button and you're done.

GB 03-24-2014 02:56 PM
Right now it is just 2 clicks Andy. Click "thanks" then click "send your thanks". The personal message is optional.

Andy M. 03-24-2014 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB (Post 1353566)
Right now it is just 2 clicks Andy. Click "thanks" then click "send your thanks". The personal message is optional.
...and a third click on OK when the forum tells you your thanks have been sent.

Addie 03-24-2014 03:34 PM
Remember dear, dear, Margi? The globe traveling member? She really abused the "Thanks" button. Everyone go a Thanks! It got so bad that I just quit opening them.

GB 03-24-2014 03:39 PM
Wait, it is bad when someone thanks you?

Addie 03-24-2014 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB (Post 1353576)
Wait, it is bad when someone thanks you?
No, but she did overdo it quite a bit. She would send a Thanks for when you stated your score on the Jeopardy quizzes.

pacanis 03-24-2014 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB (Post 1353563)
I dont receive any PM's for thanks as it is right now let alone blank ones. I only see thanks when I click User CP
Maybe I should disable mine like Alix mentioned. I just don't want it to affect any other notifications. I'm always getting "blank" PM's. I say "blank" because they aren't actually void of text. Just void of text that's not forum generated like a form letter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie (Post 1353575)
Remember dear, dear, Margi? The globe traveling member? She really abused the "Thanks" button. Everyone go a Thanks! It got so bad that I just quit opening them.
We have a running joke on another forum that just because you received Likes from [name], doesn't mean you are a popular member. That one guy will pick a thread and run through it Liking every post in it

BUT... since it's not a PM it's no big deal. I can receive a dozen Likes from him a night and my PM box won't be affected.

GB 03-24-2014 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie (Post 1353591)
No, but she did overdo it quite a bit. She would send a Thanks for when you stated your score on the Jeopardy quizzes.
Point taken. I guess I would just take that as a nice thing though. Someone cared enough to thank you for something even if you did not see the need for thanks.

FrankZ 03-24-2014 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix (Post 1353555)
I just gave myself a thanks. Most other forums will not let you do that, not that it matters.....

Can you try this again, I tried and it behaved as I would expect.

Aunt Bea 03-24-2014 05:05 PM
When I do it I get a message telling me that my post has not received any thanks yet.

Cooking Goddess 03-24-2014 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis (Post 1353427)
...oops, you're right, CG...
Of course I'm right! I'm ALWAYS right! Except when I'm wrong...

I've read all four pages on this topic and my take-away is "some want to make this like Facebook?" In my opinion, oh heck no. Why? Sometimes I think the purpose of a "like" button is to make the OP feel liked. Guess being popular or liked never really mattered to me so I don't really see a useful purpose of a like button for me. Obviously others' opinions differ. In the past it has also seemed like some posters made "Posts: #" a competition. Um, why? To show that you excel in verbosity? For me, that's my job in real life.

Personally, I prefer having the "thanks" button to use when I want to send a quick note about a specific post to the person who made that post. Much easier than composing a PM and it doesn't affect their PM limit. As I explained to pac, if you want to know which post it is that you're being thanked for you can see that in one click. And it's not a whole lot of trouble to click on the sender's name so that you can continue the conversation if you choose. As far as using the "thanks" button as if it were a FB "like" button, I could probably count the number of times I've done that on one hand. Guess using that "thanks" button shows I'm pretty good at verbosity myself.

pacanis 03-24-2014 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess (Post 1353606)
Of course I'm right! I'm ALWAYS right! Except when I'm wrong...

I've read all four pages on this topic and my take-away is "some want to make this like Facebook?"

Yes. Apparently. Other than the Baking thread being broken apart I have never seen the admins act upon one new member's request so fast.
Like you must have read, there was really nothing wrong with the old system.

In my opinion, oh heck no. Why? Sometimes I think the purpose of a "like" button is to make the OP feel liked.

Not exactly. It is a way for one person to make one click and agree with, or "Like" the post, without anything further being said.

[snip]

Personally, I prefer having the "thanks" button to use when I want to send a quick note about a specific post to the person who made that post. Much easier than composing a PM and it doesn't affect their PM limit.

How is it easier than composing a PM? You can't even see your full sentence in the small Thanks window. Just a few typed words at a time.
And maybe it doesn't affect your PM limit, but it does mine
Are you sure?

As I explained to pac, if you want to know which post it is that you're being thanked for you can see that in one click. And it's not a whole lot of trouble to click on the sender's name so that you can continue the conversation if you choose. As far as using the "thanks" button as if it were a FB "like" button, I could probably count the number of times I've done that on one hand. Guess using that "thanks" button shows I'm pretty good at verbosity myself.
Just sayin'

Cooking Goddess 03-24-2014 06:30 PM
Which is why I also said "Obviously others' opinions differ." my dear pac.

If it happens I'll be indifferent to it. Unless no one likes my posts. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/sad/depressed.gif

pacanis 03-24-2014 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess (Post 1353635)
Which is why I also said "Obviously others' opinions differ." my dear pac.

If it happens I'll be indifferent to it. Unless no one likes my posts. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/sad/depressed.gif
no, no, no... that's why I broke it down.
Maybe the forum work differently for you. Are you using a PC or tablet/phone device? Because I can't believe your Thanks aren't counting against your fifty allowed PM's... They sure are mine.

GB 03-24-2014 06:55 PM
Thanks dont affect my PMs either. I neither get nor send PM's for thanks.

pacanis 03-24-2014 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB (Post 1353647)
Thanks dont affect my PMs either. I neither get nor send PM's for thanks.
Interesting. I just clicked on my PM's Inbox to make double check and it's full of "You have been thanked!" subject lines.

GB 03-25-2014 07:04 AM
To everyone who sent me thanks in this thread, thank you back. And yes I did get the thanks (without any PM's being sent or received from my side).

We truly live blessed lives in that one of our biggest concerns is that we are have to debate the best way to thank out fellow members. I think that right there says a lot about this place

Aunt Bea 03-25-2014 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB (Post 1353733)
To everyone who sent me thanks in this thread, thank you back. And yes I did get the thanks (without any PM's being sent or received from my side).

We truly live blessed lives in that one of our biggest concerns is that we are have to debate the best way to thank out fellow members. I think that right there says a lot about this place
I would've hit the like button on this one, but I couldn't find it!

Roll_Bones 03-25-2014 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess (Post 1353606)
I've read all four pages on this topic and my take-away is "some want to make this like Facebook?"
You would be incorrect. No one wants it to be anything like facebook. Especially me.
Did you take a second to view the examples? If you did, you would see a "thanks" button like pictured and linked are nothing like facebook. Nothing like it.
This is why I recommended a true simple "thanks" button.
Click "thanks" and be on your way to the next post.

When I first joined this forum, I clicked on the "thanks" button a few times. Once I realized what it was, I quit using it.
Now I have to post my agreement or like the others say +1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea (Post 1353736)
I would've hit the like button on this one, but I couldn't find it!
There are times everyday I am on this forum I would have loved to be able to just click "thanks" and be done with "thanks".

GB 03-25-2014 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones (Post 1353796)
Did you take a second to view the examples? If you did, you would see a "thanks" button like pictured and linked are nothing like facebook. Nothing like it.
I looked at your example. In the example when you click thanks it shows the person who did the thanking. How, exactly, is that not the same thing as clicking "like" on Facebook which then show who clicked like on that post? Other than one being called "thanks" and the other "like" just what exactly are these differences that make you say the two are nothing alike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones (Post 1353796)
There are times everyday I am on this forum I would have loved to be able to just click "thanks" and be done with "thanks".
Why can't you do that now under our current system? OK so it is 2 clicks instead of one, but it is really that much more out of your day to click a button one extra time?

CatPat 03-25-2014 12:36 PM

I belong to a political forum also, and I think there should be a "Dingbat" button there.

With love,
~Cat

Roll_Bones 03-25-2014 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB (Post 1353797)
I looked at your example. In the example when you click thanks it shows the person who did the thanking. How, exactly, is that not the same thing as clicking "like" on Facebook which then show who clicked like on that post? Other than one being called "thanks" and the other "like" just what exactly are these differences that make you say the two are nothing alike?

Why can't you do that now under our current system? OK so it is 2 clicks instead of one, but it is really that much more out of your day to click a button one extra time?
My point was that this is not an attempt to make this forum like facebook. I was responding to the insinuation that "some" are trying to turn this into, or like facebook.

But I have used both facebook "likes" and my other forums "thanks" and they are not the same.
Liking something on facebook opens up a can of worms, uninvited comments from people I have never met and solicitation from companies selling something.
The "thanks" button does not provide these unwanted extras. They are night and day different.

The current system on DC is not even close to the thanks button I use on the other forums.
No box pops up and no text can be entered.

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Show 40 post(s) from this thread on one page

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
- Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements (Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums)
- - Thanks Button? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f29/thanks-button-89339.html)

roadfix 03-25-2014 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat (Post 1353807)

With love,
~Cat
Please thank me later....as my mail box is full right now. So if you thanked me now I'll never find out... Or just wait til we switch over to the simpler "thanks" system...so others can see you've thanked me big time....

GB 03-25-2014 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones (Post 1353814)
if it had nothing to do with what they looked like on the surface then why did you ask the poster if they even looked at the attachment you posted. The only information that could be gleamed from that is visual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones (Post 1353814)
Because sometimes people want their thanks to be private. Why should they be forced to have it public? It is 6 of one half a dozen of the other.

You also never answered why you can't click thanks and be done with it under the current system. No one is forcing you to write a message. It even says "optional" right on it so there is no ambiguity.

CatPat 03-25-2014 12:59 PM
There is a text box in which you can type your thanks when you click on it. I just sent you thanks, Roll Bones.

There is a grammatical error here in DC, I think. When you send your thanks, the pop-up says "Your thanks HAS been sent."

It should say, "Your thanks HAVE been sent." Thanks are plural, yes?

Or am I wrong? English is so hard.

With love,
~Cat

GB 03-25-2014 01:00 PM
Thanks in this case is singular CatPat. You are not sending someone thank.

roadfix 03-25-2014 01:01 PM
I think 'thanks' is singular. 'Thank yous' are plural.

Dawgluver 03-25-2014 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB (Post 1353822)
Thanks in this case is singular CatPat. You are not sending someone thank.

You "thank" someone by sending them "thanks". Yes, it is confusing.

GB 03-25-2014 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver (Post 1353827)

You "thank" someone by sending them "thanks". Yes, it is confusing.
We drive on parkways and park on driveways. Confusing for sure!

CatPat 03-25-2014 01:19 PM
Thank you!

I wondered of this. I trip and fall over English so much one would think I need to begin paying a gravity bill.

With love,
~Cat

Roll_Bones 03-25-2014 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat (Post 1353821)
You will need to explain how I find this "thanks" CatPat. I don't see any thanks.

GB 03-25-2014 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones (Post 1353838)
You will need to explain how I find this "thanks" CatPat. I don't see any thanks.
Are you on a mobile version of the site or are you on a computer?

CarolPa 03-25-2014 02:44 PM
I think if you want everyone to be able to see your thanks, you should just thank the person in the next post.

roadfix 03-25-2014 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa (Post 1353856)
I think if you want everyone to be able to see your thanks, you should just thank the person in the next post.
Yeah, but that's posting. .....and if a hundred people did that the thread would be several pages long of just thank you notes...

Rocket_J_Dawg 03-25-2014 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa (Post 1353856)
That's the only option I have as I don't have a "thanks" button.

Andy M. 03-25-2014 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H (Post 1353387)
The Thanks button is not available on the mobile version...

Here's the answer

GB 03-25-2014 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix (Post 1353858)
Yeah but we all know you have never gotten 100 thanks in one thread. 80 maybe but not 100

.....The text that you have entered is too long (38263 characters). Please shorten it to 25000 characters long.

a simple demonstration as to why everything on the Internet should not automatically be quoted back and cited in every reply.

You would be incorrect. No one wants it to be anything like facebook. Especially me.
Did you take a second to view the examples? If you did, you would see a "thanks" button like pictured and linked are nothing like facebook....
My FB comment was my initial reaction. A page later I still don't see that this would be make such a big difference in functionality as to warrant the time and effort involved for those to do the encoding to program the change. And yes, I did look at the examples. I had the same thought as GB:

I looked at your example. In the example when you click thanks it shows the person who did the thanking. How, exactly, is that not the same thing as clicking "like" on Facebook which then show who clicked like on that post? Other than one being called "thanks" and the other "like" just what exactly are these differences that make you say the two are nothing alike?...

Maybe so, but for the four or five people here that bother to say anything it shouldn't be too bad :LOL:

.....The text that you have entered is too long (38263 characters). Please shorten it to 25000 characters long.

a simple demonstration as to why everything on the Internet should not automatically be quoted back and cited in every reply.

What the heck? :wacko:
I think you want Cave76's thread on quoting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom