This Topic Maybe Unpopular

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The best thing about this site for me is:

1) I can chat about food anytime I want.

2) I can chat about other stuff too if I want to.

3) I can chat about simple recipes when I need them, and complex recipes when I want to.

4) I can get an answer to any question.

5) The people on this site are respectful and FUN.

And I just returned after a 1 year absence, and still...DiscussCooking is a great site. Many thanks to all who contribute.

Sincerely,

I gotta agree with the majority opinion here...

Believe it or don't, there are those like me that will need a "cookbook" the next (ie "first") time we try to make "tinned mushroom soup" over rice or noodles...(something I've never done!)

The "pro's" have their points...but I seriously doubt that many have to come "home" to the kitchen, and "whip up" a "professional dinner" for a family of 6 in 45 minutes or less, and thence by a Cub Master, chauffeur to children's activities, cleaner, hobbiest, or, generally a "parent", much less a "spouse"...and much like Bucky said, I've got my respect for the professionals, but dislike being "talked down" to...

Regrettably, when each person comes on to the List, we typically relate any number of "good" or "interesting" recipe's, and these get "buried" in the "back pages", accessible, but seldom "explored"...

And unlike the "TV Chef's" we don't use "impossible to access" or "hyper-expensive" ingredients...

And we get to "like" one another, too...weigh one thing against the other, and I believe "Discuss Cooking" has got it right...as witness the popularity, even where my screeners disable my ability to "vote" for the site!

Lifter

I think this site is great because of the variety of topics presented. If you do not want to chat, you can go to the other forums. Variety is needed to keep a site going, IMO. I scatter all around here.

norgeskog said:
I think this site is great because of the variety of topics presented. If you do not want to chat, you can go to the other forums. Variety is needed to keep a site going, IMO. I scatter all around here.

Same with me. The general discussion is nice because while we all have a love for cooking, we also have other interests. For me it's a nice way to get to know people. I like the "whats for dinner" thread because sometimes I need ideas. I typically write a menu for each night, and then make my grocery list. I like all of the forums on here and post or read them.

I had some (not all) similar observations when I walked in the door. Seemed like there was a lot of personal chat going on (1800 topics? to date) & thought this was about Discussing Cooking. I noticed there were many friendly folks here with lots to offer in their cooking expertise, as well as humor. I wanted to learn more about cooking & be a part of the party...so I jumped in with both feet.

Can only speak for myself, but I don't cook a seven course fancy shmancy meal every night. There are times I'm too tired to toast a muffin. But, one of my hobby/interests are cooking & collecting recipes. On the subject of some may not be tried and true -- as I see it (IMHO) I am delighted to find recipes (of interest to me) wherever I can. If I can share them with others, & they would like to try them as well, to me, that's a plus. A recipe, for me, sometimes is needed, sometimes not & serves as a guideline - as I can add the ingredients/flavors I like & make the recipe my own.

Yes, I do have some feelings regarding posts that are of an extremely personal nature or having to do with death threatening illnesses & problems of the world. But, one can choose to partake in those "discussions" or not. Also feel, when a forum opens up many doors for topics other than cooking, there is a downside...& some people get hurt or take offense when there is no "one" individual that makes the decisions on posts, but several.

Again, this topic was posted, & I am simply responding in an exchange of thoughts about "Discuss Cooking."

I've seen this forum take a real journey in the last 12 months. We have gone from a handful of posts a day, to a handful of posts an hour. Ok there is an issue of quality here, but I am so glad that this has become a site where we do care about each other, and are here to support each other, as well about discussing cooking.

Perhaps we could all look at making our new years resolution to post more recipes and to think about what we can offer in terms of helping ourselves and each other cook outside our comfort zone. That's one of the main reasons I joined this site, to learn to cook in different styles, using different ingredients.

But along the way I have made some very good friends and learnt about many valuable things outside cooking and food.

Some come here just for the recipes, help and cooking info they get; others come here for that, in addition to the friends they've made along the way. We each 'give' to the forums what we're comfortable with, and 'take' from the forums what we need. If some folks choose to be a little more personal, that's their personal choice; those who don't care to go that route, and only want the cooking 'stuff', there's plenty there to choose from!

I really do believe it's inevitable that when there are discussions around food, there also are discussions around lifestyles, families, and other commonalities that develop along the way. What a dry site this would be, if the only posts were as follows:

Hi - Here's my recipe for meatloaf.

Response - Ok, thanks - that looks good.

As I said before, food IS life, and living our lives, with all the little beauties and pain around it, are what people are sharing.

marmalady said:
What a dry site this would be, if the only posts were as follows:

Hi - Here's my recipe for meatloaf.

Response - Ok, thanks - that looks good.

Whatever gave you the idea w/whats been said that the suggestion has been made to act like robots?!
Noone has implied and or said that people shouldn't be able to interact...your comment is way off base of the topic.

Okay, I'll be the one to state the obvious. This 'unpopular topic' is officially popular, as denoted by the icon on the left side of the menu. :P

DampCharcoal said:
Okay, I'll be the one to state the obvious. This 'unpopular topic' is officially popular, as denoted by the icon on the left side of the menu. :P

And so it is!

Hi, 'Guest' - I'm guessing it's chez suz?

Comments were made in the discussion re keeping the topics to cooking only; I was only suggesting what a topic might be like if nothing else was interjected. Sorry if you took offense.

As my Mother would say "Can't we drop this subject? It's been talked to death"

I think what some of the members are saying is that some pretty silly or foolish questions are being asked just to keep a conversation going..that have nothing to do with food.

Some of you will either take offense or think I am wrong. That is your
choice.

Since the general consensus is that this topic has run its course I am going to lock this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom