Visitor Messages - IMPORTANT NOTE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Hi all, it has come to my attention that maybe you all don't have a clear picture of Visitor Messages.

There is a big difference between Private Messages (PMs) and Visitor Messages that you leave on someone's profile page. Visitor Messages are visible to EVERYONE who visits that page. So please, if you have something private to say that you wouldn't say on the open boards, don't post it in Visitor Messages.

I hope that clears it up a bit. If you just want to post a quick note to someone then Visitor Messages are likely the way to go. If you have something longer and more private to say, I'd suggest using the PM feature.

Its a bit tricky too because they are both in the pull down Message box. Just make sure you're clicking on the right one!

Hi all, it has come to my attention that maybe you all don't have a clear picture of Visitor Messages.

There is a big difference between Private Messages (PMs) and Visitor Messages that you leave on someone's profile page. Visitor Messages are visible to EVERYONE who visits that page. So please, if you have something private to say that you wouldn't say on the open boards, don't post it in Visitor Messages.

I hope that clears it up a bit. If you just want to post a quick note to someone then Visitor Messages are likely the way to go. If you have something longer and more private to say, I'd suggest using the PM feature.

Its a bit tricky too because they are both in the pull down Message box. Just make sure you're clicking on the right one!

Thank you for clarifying the purpose of that feature, Alix. About 5-6 months ago (prior to the new features & profiles), I noticed the Visitor messages option & couldn't figure out what it was for. Thought, perhaps, it was for folks visiting DC - non members. When the newer features/profiles came along, & I clicked on members' profiles to see what it's all about, kinda felt a little uncomfortable - like I was reading personal conversations. Agree, a PM is the way to go. Thanks for pointing it out.

This is just getting too techno for me - lol!! I was surprised to find a list of messages on my "profile" page, which seems to be different from my "friends" page? Or are they the same? I'm not computer-astute enough to figure it out, & am never sure where my replies are going - lol. Frankly, why the heck do we need all these things? PM seemed to cover this okay, didn't it?

Viewing Members' Profiles etc.

I put this in a separate post, as I feel it relates to the topic, & may be helpful re privacy etc.

Have noticed on other Forums:

Members' profiles can only be viewed unless one becomes a member/registers.

A member can opt to have their profile:

Private (Only viewed by the member. For DC purposes, only the member & administrators can view same)

Viewed by friends (On this site, guessing that might be complicated, as one link of friends would link to everyone)

Viewed by friends of friends (360 deg, the way it is set up now)

Sorry to have to bring this up, but, have noticed my profile viewed repeatedly on a daily basis for approx 6 months - since the new features came into effect. Have noticed my friends' drop down list opened, when I leave it closed, & most recently my karma drop down list open, when I have closed it.

I apologize to the members I deleted from my 'friends' list, as I decided against keeping a public list for reasons mentioned. Have disabled the visitor message option as well.

ETA: If a member is looking for a recipe by same, using the search option is a good way to go.

Hm, where have I been all this time? I did not even know we had this feature. As the matter of fact, I just tried to find it and couldn't. Where is it? And How do I get to it? Somebody Please help me out with that.

Click on you name CharlieD. That will take you to one area. Clicking on user CP another area.

So when I click on my name I see the area to post a message, but who is going to see that message, or how do I send visitor message to somebody? And I guess people have been visiting me also, I had no idea.

Another item to mention is that if you want to reply to someone's Visitor message, don't use the text box above it or you will be posting on your own page. I found you could either click on the "view conversation" link in the post or, click on the person's name to be taken to their page.

Though I do sometimes have moments where I forget and put it on my own!

Ugg - I think that's exactly what I've been doing!!! Replying on my own page. Why did this board have to become so friggin complicated!!!! It was fine as it was!!! A "Friends" function that virtually means nothing. The profile page where messages are just as public as they are on the regular board. And is there a separate "Friends" page? I don't know. And PM's. What, exactly, is the point of all this nonsense????

Edited to add that I doubt very few folks here, along with me, even have a vaguest CLUE about any of this stuff. Where is it all listed & described in detail in the FAQ's?

Breezy, I am with you, I had no idea we have so much stuff here, but I kind of like it, just need to figure out how it works.

So when I click on my name I see the area to post a message, but who is going to see that message, or how do I send visitor message to somebody? And I guess people have been visiting me also, I had no idea.

Who is going to see that message is anybody who clicks on your name and visits that page. Like if you wanted to say: Hey, I'm outta here for a couple weeks...... then when folks start wondering where you went, they will eventually visit your page and see your message. I think of it like a bulletin board.

You canot send someone a visitor message. You need to find that person's page (like by finding a post of theirs and clicking on their name, and then you can post a visitor message on their page. The only thing you can send without having a person's email addy is a PM.

Hmmm. Seems there is more confusion than I thought.

FAQs - Oops! We'll get that added in there. Sorry. Totally missed that one.

As to people viewing your profile page, I'm not sure why that would be a bad thing amy. Folks read a post you've made and want to see what you're about. Its up to you how much info you put on your profile page, so if you want less rather than more, that option is available. As for things being opened or closed, things just return to the default when you leave that screen. No one goes in there and snoops. No one else can look at your Karma comments etc.

I personally visit profile pages quite often in the course of a day, just in the way I navigate the site.

So, to clarify. The stuff on your Profile page is visible to everyone, so be judicious in what you put out there and what you post in Visitor Messages. The stuff you send via PM is completely private. Your karma comments are private. Admins can help you adjust things on your profile (getting rid of subscription notices etc) but we can't see everything. I'd sure like to be that omniscient and omnipresent but I'm just not. Darn it all! ;)

There had also been some confusion about how to reply to Visitor Messages. Many members have just been replying in the reply box. Unfortunately, this only replied to their own messages. The reply box has now been removed to avoid that problem.

If you want to reply to someone who has sent you a Visitor Message, just click "View Conversation" in that person's message. Then you will be able to reply in the reply box in their Visitor Messages. :cool:

As far as checking someone's profile, I do the same as Alix. Sometimes I want to find a specific recipe someone posted but am not sure where it is or what it was called, so I will check their profile to see posts they have made. I might check to see if a member is a male or female (sometimes helpful before making some replies), and other reasons. And as Alix said, we cannot see anyone else's PMs and we cannot see anything you do not want us to see.

:)Barbara

Am I correct that if you have picture galleries, a visit to someone's profile page is a way to see the galeries?

I do understand privacy concerns. I have seen reasons posted on this site for not giving out information that I never thought of before.

As a 45 year veteran of the computer business, I know that you don't post anything that you do not want anyone to know. Cut and paste has gotten a lot of private things to be not so private. I really don't have anything on my profile page that is sensative. I post my city and state and AIM. I haven't had any DC'ers at my door yet, if you come please bring enough food to share. LOL

I am kind of on the fence with visitor messages. They seem like nothing more than another way to do things that we can already do. Have I missed something? It two people want to have a conversation PM's work better anyway. Although the 50 message quota is a bit small. Especially if you have been given some good recipies.

Am I correct that if you have picture galleries, a visit to someone's profile page is a way to see the galeries?

I do understand privacy concerns. I have seen reasons posted on this site for not giving out information that I never thought of before.

As a 45 year veteran of the computer business, I know that you don't post anything that you do not want anyone to know. Cut and paste has gotten a lot of private things to be not so private. I really don't have anything on my profile page that is sensative. I post my city and state and AIM. I haven't had any DC'ers at my door yet, if you come please bring enough food to share. LOL

I am kind of on the fence with visitor messages. They seem like nothing more than another way to do things that we can already do. Have I missed something? It two people want to have a conversation PM's work better anyway. Although the 50 message quota is a bit small. Especially if you have been given some good recipies.

I have and they do :LOL:

And I agree with that whole bottom paragraph.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom