What is "Thanks?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
notification would be a nice feature, but there were no notifications with the karma system either. i think i had something like a million karma points and some nice (but dated) comments before i learned to check my cp....

What the heck is "thanks?" and who thought that was better than Karma? also, why did all the Karma we've accrued just disappear like so much dust? :(
This post below explains it.
In response to several member requests, Discuss Cooking will be getting a new feature to let other members know you appreciate their posts. This should happen this week.

We will be adding a feature for Thanks. There will be a button in the post, next to Quote that says Thanks. When you click this button you can say thank you to another member for the post and leave your own personal comment.

This feature will replace the older "Reputation" feature. The Thanks feature is a more positive and visible system for members to express their appreciation for your contributions. You will be able to view the comments in your User CP and, if you like receive a PM when you receive a Thanks.
Almost the same as the rep button but now you can acknowledge a POST and NOT just the person. I kind of like this "Thanks" button better in a way.

Almost the same as the rep button but now you can acknowledge a POST and NOT just the person. I kind of like this "Thanks" button better in a way.

msmofet, there is no difference between the old rep system and this new thanks system that I can see. You could always acknowledge a particular post, that's how it worked. The only difference with this new system is that the points are different. There is the potential for this to be different, but so far...its the same deal, you just hit a different button.

The old way you ackowledged a post too though. The only difference I see between the two is that the old was had a different scoring method which took into account how much karma the person giving you karma already had. The new way is just one point per "thanks".

notification would be a nice feature, but there were no notifications with the karma system either. i think i had something like a million karma points and some nice (but dated) comments before i learned to check my cp....

The karma was listed below your subscribed threads.

i think i goofed with several of my early attempts to "thank" people today. i only recently became aware of the little sendoff message that gets clicked at the end....if you didn't get a "thanks" from me today, well, maybe you actually did....:)

how do you respond with a comment to a person who has "thanked" you?

Since you also receive a PM notification of the thanks - you can respond to that but I'd like to suggest that maybe this is being over-thought (collectively). Thanks is a nice (positive) way to agree with a post or thank some one for posting.

Unlike the old reputation system where points became competitive this allows us to focus on the more important aspect - being kind to each other. Each members comments are valuable and no one's carries more weight than another this way. :flowers:

...Unlike the old reputation system where points became competitive this allows us to focus on the more important aspect - being kind to each other. Each members comments are valuable and no one's carries more weight than another this way. :flowers:

I don't remember ever seeing posts form members soliciting karma or boasting about karma totals. Seems like a non-issue.

Back
Top Bottom